Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39285 times)

Re: Semi starting to wake up or heat up
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:58 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Crowder vol. 2

Their pre-draft measurements are almost identical

Semi
Height w/o Shoes 6'5 ¼"
Height w/ Shoes 6'6 ¾"
Weight 241
Wingspan 6'9 ¾"
Standing reach 8'6"

Crowder
Height w/o Shoes 6'4 ¾"
Height w/ Shoes 6'6 ½"
Weight 241
Wingspan 6'9 ¼"
Standing reach 8'6 ¾"

Seems like Semi is more athletic than Crowder.

Semi
no step vert 35''
max vert 40.5''

Crowder
no step vert 31''
max vert 34.5''

Having said all that, imo Crowder is nothing more than a role player. The reason he was sought-after around the league was his amazing contract. If Crowder were paid let's say 14+ million a year, no one would be talking about him. Remember DeMarre Carroll in his Atlanta days? He got paid 14.5 million per year in 2015 and no one is talking about him ever since.

Demarre Carroll is having an excellent season for NJ.  Being an efficient role player like Crowder is a highly valuable asset for a good team.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
. Remember DeMarre Carroll in his Atlanta days? He got paid 14.5 million per year in 2015 and no one is talking about him ever since.

Knee surgery is a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., isn't it? Especially for a professional basketball player.

Looks like he's finally back to the productivity of his Atlanta days.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
http://www.telegram.com/news/20171204/celtics-notes-rookie-semi-ojeleye-making-impact-but-can-be-elite-defensively

Scott Souza's piece on Semi

“I think he can be elite defensively,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said before the game. “I’m not sure he’s far from it now. He’s able to guard one through five. He guarded Booker for a couple of possessions and I was kicking myself for not trying it earlier."

Rare combination of leverage and laterals - added to which he's got quick shoulders to contest and get deflections; he stays in front and above all without fouling.

Great to see, posters are seeing a 3-and-D future for him - but his ceiling is higher than that.  He's the ultimate plug-and-play guy because of his extraordinary versatility and the range on his jumper, and as fans will eventually discover, he's a finisher with a wide repertoire in the lane. 

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rare combination of leverage and laterals - added to which he's got quick shoulders to contest and get deflections; he stays in front and above all without fouling.

Not to mention brute strength to reduce being pushed and deny position

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I think people are overstating his value. He's done a good job for a second rounder, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he will be a regular rotation player going forward. If Gordon were healthy Semi wouldn't be playing at all. When Gordon comes back next season, I expect Semi's playing time to drop to practically nothing.

He won't be on any all-star rosters but you have to admit the way he moves his body on defense is fun to watch. It's like he is mimicking what the coaches do in practice. Wide base shuffling feet its all a thing of beauty to see someone do in today's NBA as a rookie.

He has a decent stroke too but man the way he walls up his guy is something I enjoy watching.

However he does seem to over help at time but that's a rookie thing and he'll figure out over time when to help, when to rotate and when to just hang on his guy.

Teams need a guy like this in the rotation not everyone has potential to be a superstar and that's ok with me for a 2nd round guy.
ok fine

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Brad is the anti-Doc when it comes to developing players.

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Not to mention brute strength to reduce being pushed and deny position

You could say that he checks all the boxes - except wingspan.

And for someone with his strength, anticipation, and hops, he's been a mediocre rebounder.

Iirc, they've got a ludicrously favorable contract for four years.

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
His handle has looked pretty awful thus far. Seems everytime he goes to the basket he is turning the ball over. If he works on that, I think we could see what an athletic finisher he is.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:24 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
he needs to just be a 3 and D kind of guy. I see him as a crowder type

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
His handle has looked pretty awful thus far. Seems everytime he goes to the basket he is turning the ball over. If he works on that, I think we could see what an athletic finisher he is.

You see any college tape on him? He’s got a skill set I think one of the reasons Brad trusts him is because he stays within his role. That’s just speculation though.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 10:26:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You see any college tape on him? He’s got a skill set I think one of the reasons Brad trusts him is because he stays within his role. That’s just speculation though.
I have seen his college highlights. Some of his alley oops and throw downs were Lebron strength impressive. His athletism can make him a beast inside. The guy has tremendous potential. Just think he needs to improve his handle more to show all that off. I can't wait to see him in the open floor on a fast break. It will be awesome. Guy is a physical freak.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I have seen his college highlights. Some of his alley oops and throw downs were Lebron strength impressive. His athletism can make him a beast inside. The guy has tremendous potential. Just think he needs to improve his handle more to show all that off. I can't wait to see him in the open floor on a fast break. It will be awesome. Guy is a physical freak.

Just being a guy who shoots 37%+ from 3 and can fake and do a straight line drive on a close out, and make average level passes, with his defense, that’s a top 50 player.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 11:24:29 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Just being a guy who shoots 37%+ from 3 and can fake and do a straight line drive on a close out, and make average level passes, with his defense, that’s a top 50 player.

If that describes your game then you have to do all those things at a very high level to be a top 50 player.  Semi is so far from that.

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 12:12:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

If that describes your game then you have to do all those things at a very high level to be a top 50 player.  Semi is so far from that.

Elite defender that can switch 1-5, decent 3pt shooter, can straight line drive, makes good passes. There are like 3 guys in the NBA who can do that.