Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39317 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Can Stevens stop playing Semi so much? The guy brings nothing to the table. This month he's shooting 23% from the field and 25% from 3's in a mind boggling 23 MPG.

Offensively, the guy is such a liability that whoever's defending him basically operates as a free safety by playing off of him and being in close position to help on any action in the paint. To make matters worse, Semi has no instincts of playing off the ball, so rather than making a sharp cut backdoor, he'll just stand in the corner anxiously waiting to hoist another brick.

I'm not buying this whole elite defense crap either. Sure he has good lateral movement, but that's only 1 part of defense. The parts that really concerns me is his defense off the ball and his overall defensive IQ. He also seems to constantly get hung up on screens, more than you would think looking at his build. He's also an undisciplined help defender that doesn't seem to make correct reads. Today, for example, even though Van Gundy was harping on it being Monroe's fault on the play where James got to the rim for an and 1, I don't think he was correct. Semi's job was probably to go under the screen and NOT switch, as leaving Monroe 1 on 1 vs James is a bad situation. After that play Stevens immediately yanked Semi out of the game, which would lead me to believe that it was a bad read by Semi.

4 minute mark on the Monroe/ Semi play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTpGrsKEExU

Another undisciplined read by Semi, where he overcommits to helping out on Nance to the rim, even though Baynes was in pretty good position to defend. This left Clarkson wide open for a corner 3 as Semi was in no position to rotate.
6:30 mark:

Despite all the Semi-hype posts, this guy is absolutely killing us out there!

He brings nothing offensively.  is very static with a line-drive shot that almost always is short.  He does not create, does not pass, and as far as I can tell cannot handle the ball.

Yeah he is huge and probably a good defender but he is not Ben Wallace.

« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
He might be the worst offensive basketball player I have ever seen. He can't shoot anywhere on the court, can't pass, can't dribble, can't jump, has no instincts around the rim, has no left or right hand, and always seems to be in the wrong place when not standing in the corner.

I get that he has some lateral quickness on D and he obviously has an NBA body, but he is basically horrible right now. He seriously makes Marcus Smart look like James Harden out there.

« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2018, 08:57:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He might be the worst offensive basketball player I have ever seen. He can't shoot anywhere on the court, can't pass, can't dribble, can't jump, has no instincts around the rim, has no left or right hand, and always seems to be in the wrong place when not standing in the corner.

I get that he has some lateral quickness on D and he obviously has an NBA body, but he is basically horrible right now. He seriously makes Marcus Smart look like James Harden out there.
It's ok, though, because he looks like he's 275 lbs...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2018, 09:37:45 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Why is he getting heavy minutes? Adds zero

« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I would understand it if he were a really young player (say 19-20) with huge upside that we were trying to develop, but he's neither of those two things. The frustrating thing is that he's being given him minutes at the expense of Theis. Today Theis only played 11 minutes and was a +8, while Semi played 24 minutes and was a -15. What's with Stevens' refusal to stay big? We should have 4 guys playing the 4 & 5, Baynes, Monroe, Horford, and Theis. Stop playing Morris at the 4, since by doing so it means that by default Semi, or god forbid Nader, will get spoon-fed minutes.

9 man rotation
Horford-Tatum-Baynes-Irving-Brown
Theis-Monroe-Rozier-Morris

10 man rotation when Smart returns, but until then PLEASE stop playing Semi.

I understood going small when we had Amir and Zeller, but now we have pretty good big men. We go small for the sake of going small? I love Stevens, but this lacks reasoning.

« Reply #260 on: February 11, 2018, 11:20:30 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

I would understand it if he were a really young player (say 19-20) with huge upside that we were trying to develop, but he's neither of those two things. The frustrating thing is that he's being given him minutes at the expense of Theis. Today Theis only played 11 minutes and was a +8, while Semi played 24 minutes and was a -15. What's with Stevens' refusal to stay big? We should have 4 guys playing the 4 & 5, Baynes, Monroe, Horford, and Theis. Stop playing Morris at the 4, since by doing so it means that by default Semi, or god forbid Nader, will get spoon-fed minutes.

9 man rotation

I understood going small when we had Amir and Zeller, but now we have pretty good big men. We go small for the sake of going small? I love Stevens, but this lacks reasoning.

What do you do when someone.like.LeBron or Durant is at the 4 or even 5 ?  You've got to match up, and I don't think Horford is going to get it done.

« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2018, 12:25:48 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Can Stevens stop playing Semi so much? The guy brings nothing to the table. This month he's shooting 23% from the field and 25% from 3's in a mind boggling 23 MPG.

Offensively, the guy is such a liability that whoever's defending him basically operates as a free safety by playing off of him and being in close position to help on any action in the paint. To make matters worse, Semi has no instincts of playing off the ball, so rather than making a sharp cut backdoor, he'll just stand in the corner anxiously waiting to hoist another brick.

I'm not buying this whole elite defense crap either. Sure he has good lateral movement, but that's only 1 part of defense. The parts that really concerns me is his defense off the ball and his overall defensive IQ. He also seems to constantly get hung up on screens, more than you would think looking at his build. He's also an undisciplined help defender that doesn't seem to make correct reads. Today, for example, even though Van Gundy was harping on it being Monroe's fault on the play where James got to the rim for an and 1, I don't think he was correct. Semi's job was probably to go under the screen and NOT switch, as leaving Monroe 1 on 1 vs James is a bad situation. After that play Stevens immediately yanked Semi out of the game, which would lead me to believe that it was a bad read by Semi.

4 minute mark on the Monroe/ Semi play:

Another undisciplined read by Semi, where he overcommits to helping out on Nance to the rim, even though Baynes was in pretty good position to defend. This left Clarkson wide open for a corner 3 as Semi was in no position to rotate.
6:30 mark:

Despite all the Semi-hype posts, this guy is absolutely killing us out there!

Your seething and visceral hatred for a second round draft pick is truly something to behold ::). Tell me, do you just watch these games simply to find fault with his play, because that certainly, and unfortunately, appears to be the case. I swear to god, I can see it now, "Semi didn't bring gluten free barbecue sauce to the Memorial Day cookout? TRADE THAT BUM!"

As for your other points, I completely disagree with your assessment with respect to his off-ball movement. Granted, I have not watched a ton of games this year, but there have been many instances where his defender turns his head and Semi cuts to the basket, as you should, and is wide open, and no one passes him the ball. I realize that he's not exactly a prime option on offense, but I would be willing to bet that he'd shoot much better if he got a layup to start, you know? Is that fair to say?

Also, in regards to his body type, you're completely off base, here, at least in my opinion, not that that counts for anything, as it pertains to negotiating picks/screens, or not, as in this particular case. Guys of his size and weight, such as Lebron and the artist formerly known as Ron Artest, have always struggled getting around picks/screens. It's kind of their kryptonite, defensively, so to speak, and I've been saying it for years that that is the way to beat Lebron, to really attack him, but aside from a few instances, no one seems to make a concerted effort to hone in on this glaring weakness, and for the life of me I simply cannot understand as to why. I mean, if a moron such as myself can figure it out, surely NBA coaches are cognizant of this piece of information, right? Right?

Beyond that, I don't believe that Semi is being utilized correctly on offense. Like at all. I'm not making excuses for his shooting percentages, but I think it's important to point out that the guy was primarily a power player with a great touch in college who did most of his damage in the post, yet when he's being guarded by a smaller player, such as C.J. Miles, or even Kyle Lowry, lol, no one gives him the ball, often opting to simply waive him off and tell the guy to go stand in the corner ::), which seems to be a staple of Stevens' "offense" in regards to rookies, but that's a whole other issue.

Even worse is when he's being "guarded" by guys like David West and Porzingis, for example. I know that Semi's strength and quickness allows him to guard a host of different players, but this also makes for a complete mismatch on offense for Boston, at least in my view, that the coaching staff is either completely failing to recognize or comprehend, never mind exploit. In such instances, they should run the backdoor step/blind pig option for Semi, or have him pass to the wing and cut off of the screen of the center. The result? Layups. Dunks. Free throws. In other words, easy scores. He can probably get 6-8 points a game just on those plays, alone, and then his outside shot will start to fall, but it also takes the opposing big guy off the floor, unless, of course, the opposing coaching staff has some odd interest in conceding layups and such.

Anyway, those are my misguided views :-\.

« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2018, 09:47:59 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

9 man rotation

What do you do when someone.like.LeBron or Durant is at the 4 or even 5 ?  You've got to match up, and I don't think Horford is going to get it done.

Against Cleveland I would've crossed matchup. Meaning Brown on James, Horford on Osman, Tatum on Smith, Baynes on Thompson, and Irving on Hill. This would've allowed Morris to come in off the bench, resulting in bench scoring and a guy that can cover James when Brown sits. In addition, starting Baynes eliminates the Horford vs Thompson matchup, which is one that has not been historically favorable to Horford. Starting Morris just creates way too much roster imbalance as you have three bigs (Theis, Monroe, Baynes) all good enough to get playing time, while forcing a player (Semi) that's not even remotely good enough to get meaningful minutes vs elite teams.

Sean Grande:
Celtics when Baynes plays 22:30 or more: 15-0
Celtics when Baynes plays 20:00 or more: 22-3
Celtics when Baynes plays under 20:00:   18-15

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 10:03:41 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:12 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think the problem with Semi is that since we have so many big men, he's forced to play the 3 which really highlights his lack of offense. When he plays the 4, there are more creators on offense so his lack of offense isn't as noticeable. I think we're gunna see a big year 2 jump from him when Danny can clear out this big man rotation but for now I would just prefer seeing him only in blowouts or when an individual player is just killing us and we have no other option.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think the problem with Semi is that since we have so many big men, he's forced to play the 3 which really highlights his lack of offense. When he plays the 4, there are more creators on offense so his lack of offense isn't as noticeable. I think we're gunna see a big year 2 jump from him when Danny can clear out this big man rotation but for now I would just prefer seeing him only in blowouts or when an individual player is just killing us and we have no other option.
He's 6'7. If he plans to play anything but the 3 in the NBA he might as well head out to Europe right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2018, 03:14:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There was simply no reason for Ojeleye to have essentially the same amount of playing time at halftime yesterday as Brown, Tatum and Kyrie. That was pathetic substitution by Stevens and we lost the game during that time because while Lebron sat, we could only score two points more than the Cavs. You can't freeze out your starting scorers and have a lineup of players that can't score in the game when Lebron is nursing an injury.

« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's 6'7. If he plans to play anything but the 3 in the NBA he might as well head out to Europe right now.

So, uh, what're PJ Tucker and Jae Crowder, to name two, doing in the NBA, then?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2018, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
semi sux
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2018, 05:49:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
semi sux

Stevens is starting to realize that and it now looks like No-J-eleye has fallen completely out of the rotation.

« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2018, 07:17:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
So, uh, what're PJ Tucker and Jae Crowder, to name two, doing in the NBA, then?

In Crowder's case struggling