Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39280 times)

Re: Semi down the stretch last night
« Reply #225 on: February 05, 2018, 02:31:03 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
So you can see him fouling Lillard but your blinders don't allow you to see the clear push off with the left hand? It's right there on the video. Look at it again.

You think he had time to push off of him in mid air when he was already past him?  That's some Neo type moves man.

No I don't think he did I know he did. Check the video man.

LOL the green goggles my man.  When he touches Semi he's been off his feet for second, the ball is already at the end of his finger tips and being released.  Keep whining.  That's not how physics work.

It doesn't matter if he was in front of Semi or beside him, he clearly puts his forearm/hand on Semi's chest to shield/push off.

Was it an offensive foul?  No.  But to say he didn't use his forearm against Semi is just blind on your part.  Like you're trying to prove a point no matter what the evidence shows.

« Reply #226 on: February 05, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
So you can see him fouling Lillard but your blinders don't allow you to see the clear push off with the left hand? It's right there on the video. Look at it again.

You think he had time to push off of him in mid air when he was already past him?  That's some Neo type moves man.

No I don't think he did I know he did. Check the video man.

LOL the green goggles my man.  When he touches Semi he's been off his feet for second, the ball is already at the end of his finger tips and being released.  Keep whining.  That's not how physics work.

It doesn't matter if he was in front of Semi or beside him, he clearly puts his forearm/hand on Semi's chest to shield/push off.

Was it an offensive foul?  No.  But to say he didn't use his forearm against Semi is just blind on your part.  Like you're trying to prove a point no matter what the evidence shows.

TP for a man with vision!

« Reply #227 on: February 05, 2018, 02:42:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Semi has been up and down, as you would expect a rookie to be.  But I've been impressed with his defense, especially his ability to switch and disrupt passing lanes. 

So long as he's hitting a decent % of spot-up threes and putting himself in the right places off-ball, he's a good guy to have around.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Experience and confidence be patient. This has potential but its not happening next week...

« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think Semi will turn himself into a good, versatile defender who can hit catch and shoot 3s at a decent rate. He will be awful at everything else.

That's fine.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I didn't think it was really a foul on Semi but any swipe at anyone's head gets called his year.  That's how it is.  Don't swipe at someone's head and go straight up.
this is not a question of deduction. it is simply a case of watching the replay on the video you provided. in the slow motion replay it is very clear that lillard puts his left arm into the midsection of semi and pushes him away.

i do not understand why you can not see that very clear action in the video.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:00:32 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2018, 03:53:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Here's the deal on Semi, from someone who's got no skin in this game:

Dude plays great defense for a rookie.  Can switch and guard multiple positions, including occasionally the other team's 5.

Dude has been really weak shooting 3's. To the point where it takes us out of games.

Dude shot 3's at a good clip in college, so there is hope his 3 point FG % will improve. If he starts hitting at a high 30's, low 40% clip, he's due for a nice contract, and would not be at all surprised to see Danny sign him to a long term deal like he did with Crowder. But if he does not improve his 3 point shooting by the end of next season, he will be gone.

« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Dude plays great defense for a rookie.  Can switch and guard multiple positions, including occasionally the other team's 5.

Dude has been really weak shooting 3's. To the point where it takes us out of games.

Dude shot 3's at a good clip in college, so there is hope his 3 point FG % will improve. If he starts hitting at a high 30's, low 40% clip, he's due for a nice contract, and would not be at all surprised to see Danny sign him to a long term deal like he did with Crowder. But if he does not improve his 3 point shooting by the end of next season, he will be gone.

Disagree about the bolded.  He’s a good enough defender to far outweigh his shooting issues.  He takes 2 attempts per game.  Even in the last 10 days with more playing time it’s only 3 attempts per game.  With the Celtics almost certainly in the luxury tax by the time 2019 rolls around, a flawed but useful player on a minimum contract is someone you absolutely keep.  Especially since the team has no other second-round picks to replace him with — the odds of finding someone on minimum contract who’s as useful as Semi is even shooting 30% from 3 aren’t that high.

Given the Celtics salary situation, I would be surprised to see Semi released after year 2.  I would also be surprised at an extension or for him to be sent to restricted free agency (by the declining of his option in year 4) even if his shooting does improve.  Ultimately he’s a role player, and one who provides the most value to the team on his current deal.

« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2018, 05:07:36 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
L2M report sides with Semi.  He did not foul Lillard.

http://official.nba.com/last-two-minute-report/

« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Thanks. TP.  Here is the actual link:
http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/02/L2M-POR-BOS-02-04-2018.pdf

This is the description:

Ojeleye (BOS) is in a legal guarding position and jumps vertically contesting Lillard's (POR) driving shot attempt. The contact is initiated by Lillard.

« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2018, 06:44:31 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/02/L2M-POR-BOS-02-04-2018.pdf

This is the description:

Ojeleye (BOS) is in a legal guarding position and jumps vertically contesting Lillard's (POR) driving shot attempt. The contact is initiated by Lillard.

Tp right back at you!  Thanks for posting the actual link.

Semi In The Fourth
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2018, 07:10:57 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

This is the description:

I guess this is just another example of refs erring on the side of stars and away from rookies. Fortunately it didn't affect the outcome of the game.

It's amazing how often they do get it right. And kudos to the league for the confidence to critique their own referees' decisions in public, and after the fact.

Ojeleye made good use of his crunch-time minutes in this game.

At 4:18 of the 4th, makes a corner three to cut the lead to three.

Drew the charge on Nurkic at 2:37. Taking one for the team.

At 2:05 he's uptop and delivers the pass to Tatum for the assist. Good to see him getting more involved in the offense. Reading in this thread, I think that there's some misunderstanding of how much the coaches allow a guy like him to do. He does not have the green light to freelance, and they are not running anything for him.

At 1:08 gets Lillard on the switch and contains the drive.  Good, not great, contest on a jab step, and the three falls.

At :52 gets the offensive board, though Tatum misses the second shot. Recently Semi's upped his rebounding - two offensive, four defensive in 28 minutes in this game - which is at least encouraging given his output so far.

The and one on Lillard he's swinging his arm down, as Scal points out. That's maybe what the ref saw - though he doesn't make contact.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:59:40 PM by ThePaintedArea »

Ojeleye's Future
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

The only way to be.

Occasionally, yes. He got DeAndre Jordan on the switch a couple of times in the recent Clippers game; I thought that he was lucky to get away with what he did. But the versatility that you point to is suited to the modern game, and that bodes well for his future.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it takes the team out of games; he's only taking two per, so he can hardly have much impact on that.

.309 is not very good, of course, but we ought to keep some perspective on it - it's actually a little better than Jaylen shot in his rookie year up through the All-Star break. Semi has picture-perfect shot mechanics and seldom takes a bad shot, so it's a good bet that he'll improve.

...But if he does not improve his 3 point shooting by the end of next season, he will be gone.

He's signed for four years at chump change. Whether he's your seventh man or your tenth man, he's on a team that is going to have to dole out big money to field a contender in the next few years. He's a very valuable commodity. Unless a deal is too tempting to turn down, it doesn't make sense to replace him, even if he only achieves the median predictable.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:55:44 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:22 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Semi shoots it fine.   Better than that actually.  It's just a confidence thing and the lack of game reps.   He looks like a great pick to me.

« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2018, 05:55:32 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
TP Macho

Semi is just a rookie most rookies are awed by speed of game the athleticism and strength
Semi has been tasked with some herculean assignments,he has had to quard multiple positions with multiple defensive lineups..
He can't just react he has to think constantly
He has to learn the moves ,the strengths and weaknesses of multiple offensive players per game,what spots they like and all the play actions
.Also the strengths of his own teammates and then timing
He has refs giving calls to stars-he can't pull jerseys or push guys out of way.
Then on offense he has to keep the flow moving and HAS to take the open shot.
Semi is one of the hardest workers and he can shoot well-Drew Hanlon trained him as well as Tatum.Semi and Tatum were both part of Hoops House program. last summer.

Semi is fortunate to be gifted with lateral speed and strength because it takes considerable experience to learn how to use your own teammates and how to help and rotate on coverages.

Semi weakness is his length and wingspan which hinders rebounding and blocking shots.
This is a development year for semi while gaining experience for the best defensive team and winning games.There is no place for semi to hide and teams are gunning for celtics.
Brad is telling him to shoot, they are wide open shots but it seems he is steering the ball.
We don't see semi at practice,his shot is not broken.He has been a very good shooter and as game slows down at both ends his shooting should improve ...

I also think he plays tentative and doesn't use his bulk and strength to full advantage or he would suffer from rookie calls.The amount of pushing, pulling and grabbing and it takes time to learn what refs let things go or particular refs call.
We are fortunate to have his cheap 4 year contract,  as salary management will be critical and he defends multiple positions.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:01:47 AM by rollie mass »