Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye Catch All Thread  (Read 39588 times)

Re: Semi down the stretch last night
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Of the scrubs that are currently 80% of our second unit, he's the only one showing glimpses of being a functional NBA player. Regardless, he has no business being any higher than being the 10th or 11th guy in the rotation right now.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2018, 12:22:55 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I will be interested to see what a NBA offseason does for him and his shot.  Is he Marcus Smart or will be become Jae Crowder efficient.  He definitely can play D though.

« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I really enjoy his defense, but he need to figure out how to play on offense.  There's more than a 3 point line man and thank god that's the case if you can't even shoot 30%.

You're right, but I think he hit a nice foul-line extended J at some point.

I noted it because I feel as you do that the O has to be at least occasionally from midrange and in, so I was happy he hit it I'm thinking he also had a put-back, but not sure of that one.

And I agree with others that Dame pushed off, but two things:

1. The rook will almost never get that call, especially when there looked like contact(Semi's elbow grazing Lillard's head, enough to move his head) albeit after the push off.

2. With a foul to give, Brown or Horford should've fouled Lillard before he got into the paint.

« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I will be interested to see what a NBA offseason does for him and his shot.  Is he Marcus Smart or will be become Jae Crowder efficient.  He definitely can play D though.

Yeah, he played good defense yesterday, and early on in the season he had spurts where he guarded the likes of Greek Freak, Lebron, etc., and actually did well.

If he can hit the threes with a little more confidence/success, he can definitely be an efficient version of Crowder off the bench.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Semi will likely never be playing down the stretch again. We were literally missing two all-stars (Kyrie, Hayward), three major rotational pieces (Smart, Morris, Monroe), and another player in Larkin who is probably ahead of him in the rotation.

I think he did a nice job and agree that the foul call on Lillard was pretty iffy, but that play almost lost us the game. Players need to read the situation and either let the easy lay-up go or give an all-out foul. Semi is a rookie and Lillard is a star - Semi isn't getting the benefit of any doubt for a  while.

Anyway, thank goodness for Horford and good to Semi not crumble in a big moment.

« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I really enjoy his defense, but he need to figure out how to play on offense.  There's more than a 3 point line man and thank god that's the case if you can't even shoot 30%.

I noted it because I feel as you do that the O has to be at least occasionally from midrange and in, so I was happy he hit it I'm thinking he also had a put-back, but not sure of that one.

1. The rook will almost never get that call, especially when there looked like contact(Semi's elbow grazing Lillard's head, enough to move his head) albeit after the push off.

For me, the man is too big and athletic to not mix it up in the paint.  I don't see how or why he won't crash the glass some for example.  Or yes, a midrange shot isn't so bad.  Or drive and try to kick some.  Anything else at all.

On that call, I think he swiped towards Lillards head and maybe only brushed it but that alone is enough for the call in full speed game action (and this year particularly they are going all in on any head contact as a foul).  He shouldn't have attempted to go for the ball and just go straight up.  But, mostly I was quite happy with his defense.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

For me, the man is too big and athletic to not mix it up in the paint.  I don't see how or why he won't crash the glass some for example.  Or yes, a midrange shot isn't so bad.  Or drive and try to kick some.  Anything else at all.

On that call, I think he swiped towards Lillards head and maybe the ref thinks he only brushed it without actually seeing it but that alone is enough for the call in full speed game action (and this year particularly they are going all in on any head contact as a foul).  He shouldn't have attempted to go for the ball and just go straight up.  But, mostly I was quite happy with his defense.

I fixed it for you (bolded) and Lillard CLEARLY pushed off with the left hand which is an offensive foul.

« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Semi made some key contributions no doubt, but I'm still not a believer in him as an NBA rotation player. His ceiling, as far as I am concerned, is end of the bench defensive sub. I expect that when Kyrie, Morris, and Smart are back and Monroe is signed Semi will see his time dwindle to practically nothing.

« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
His handles and mid range game are even worse than his 3 point shooting.  The least damage he can do is to sit in the corner and try to hit open 3's.  Baby steps, work on the 3 point shot, then start trying to do something off that.

« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2018, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
His handles and mid range game are even worse than his 3 point shooting.  The least damage he can do is to sit in the corner and try to hit open 3's. 

He can't rebound?  We all learned how to do that in 2nd grade CYO ball.  He can figure out how to do more than fire 3's up when he shoots less than 30% or he probably won't be in the NBA much longer.  That's bad offense.

« Reply #220 on: February 05, 2018, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

On that call, I think he swiped towards Lillards head and maybe the ref thinks he only brushed it without actually seeing it but that alone is enough for the call in full speed game action (and this year particularly they are going all in on any head contact as a foul).  He shouldn't have attempted to go for the ball and just go straight up.  But, mostly I was quite happy with his defense.

I fixed it for you (bolded) and Lillard CLEARLY pushed off with the left hand which is an offensive foul.

LOL.  You think he pushed off on this play where he was never even near Semi long enough to extend his arm and actually push off?  He was already off his feet.

https://youtu.be/PD6dAHugYBs?t=1m41s

That's some top level whining.  A lot of whining around here about refs so no surprise.

« Reply #221 on: February 05, 2018, 01:14:17 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
So you can see him fouling Lillard but your blinders don't allow you to see the clear push off with the left hand? It's right there on the video. Look at it again.

« Reply #222 on: February 05, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
So you can see him fouling Lillard but your blinders don't allow you to see the clear push off with the left hand? It's right there on the video. Look at it again.

You think he had time to push off of him in mid air when he was already past him?  That's some Neo type moves man.

I didn't think it was really a foul on Semi but any swipe at anyone's head gets called his year.  That's how it is.  Don't swipe at someone's head and go straight up.

« Reply #223 on: February 05, 2018, 01:16:10 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

You think he had time to push off of him in mid air when he was already past him?  That's some Neo type moves man.

No I don't think he did I know he did. Check the video man. Like I originally said is at worst it should have been no call. There is no way he deserved a foul shot on that play for the lead. It was a "guess" on the part of the ref.

« Reply #224 on: February 05, 2018, 01:17:22 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

No I don't think he did I know he did. Check the video man.

LOL the green goggles my man.  When he touches Semi he's been off his feet for second, the ball is already at the end of his finger tips and being released.  Keep whining.  That's not how physics work.