Author Topic: Winslow" Best non trade" Red said Danny was LUCKY  (Read 7935 times)

Re: Winslow" Best non trade" Red said Danny was LUCKY
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Hey Rollie,

As you know, I'm a fan of your posts, generally.

But I must give you the dubious award today for having the biggest disconnect between Subject Heading and content of your OP. 

Totally lost on me, bro.

Cheers,
Footey
I think I follow this one.  Danny tried to trade 4 picks to move up to get Winslow.  Thankfully that didn't happen.  Can't recall but one of those picks may have been the pick we used to take Jaylen.  So get lucky a trade doesn't happen and then get a better player at the same position.

That Danny offered 4 first round picks for Winslow is (a) unsubstantiated, and (b) even if technically true, was never suggested that it involved any of the Nets' picks. The fact is we had so many 1st round picks stockpiled at that point (2 of which were later used to take Rozier and Hunter; the other two could have been Memphis and/or Dallas (Yabusele) and/or our own (Zizic)).  I seriously doubt Danny would have risked any Net pick on Winslow.  Show me a Danny quote where he said he offered one and I will shut up.

Zach Lowe disagrees:

"Boston put Charlotte on the other end of a quantity-for-quality pitch," writes Lowe. "The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9: that 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/good-charlotte-the-hornets-and-the-sliding-scale-of-nba-mediocrity/
Danny tried to trade with several teams in the top 10 that year.  Afterwards he said, he'd probably offered to much.

Turner was the prize at that 9-10-11 position.

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 08:37:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Hey Rollie,

But I must give you the dubious award today for having the biggest disconnect between Subject Heading and content of your OP. 

Totally lost on me, bro.

Cheers,
Footey
I think I follow this one.  Danny tried to trade 4 picks to move up to get Winslow.  Thankfully that didn't happen.  Can't recall but one of those picks may have been the pick we used to take Jaylen.  So get lucky a trade doesn't happen and then get a better player at the same position.

That Danny offered 4 first round picks for Winslow is (a) unsubstantiated, and (b) even if technically true, was never suggested that it involved any of the Nets' picks. The fact is we had so many 1st round picks stockpiled at that point (2 of which were later used to take Rozier and Hunter; the other two could have been Memphis and/or Dallas (Yabusele) and/or our own (Zizic)).  I seriously doubt Danny would have risked any Net pick on Winslow.  Show me a Danny quote where he said he offered one and I will shut up.

Zach Lowe disagrees:

"Boston put Charlotte on the other end of a quantity-for-quality pitch," writes Lowe. "The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9: that 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/good-charlotte-the-hornets-and-the-sliding-scale-of-nba-mediocrity/

Maybe I am forgetting, but when did they have a future first from Minny?
got it from Phoenix in the Brandan Wright trade. It became 2 seconds one of which was Semi
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 09:54:29 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've always thought that we were lucky this trade never happened.  It was probably the stupidest thing Danny ever tried to do.

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 12:05:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I've always thought that we were lucky this trade never happened.  It was probably the stupidest thing Danny ever tried to do.
who knows, maybe here Winslow reaches his potential. 

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 12:25:41 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Its looking more and more that Winslow's ceiling is Jae crowder...euuwh
Danny dodge a missile there if you ask me...even Rozier who Danny was giving up then is turning out to be very serviceable than Justise Winslow.

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 12:40:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Danny dodge a missile there if you ask me...even Rozier who Danny was giving up then is turning out to be very serviceable than Justise Winslow.
winslow had a major injury though.  If he doesn't have that, who knows what his ceiling would have been

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Just curious, how did you come to that conclusion? Entirely two different games overall, also Winslow has better handles, and tougher transition game...

“You can see that he brings something that’s unique, his aggressiveness off the dribble in transition as a runner,” Spoelstra said of Winslow, who dropped about 10 pounds this offseason. “He’s an energy player. Defensively, [he can guard] one through four. So his game is about speed, physicality. He lost some weight and that makes him even quicker in all those areas in the open court and in random situations.”

Anyways, I'm not entirely convinced someone like Winslow's ceiling can be determined. He's an absolutely unique player that fits the mold like Draymond. Can defend 1-4, great perimeter defender, and can crash the boards, and run in transition while being an secondary play maker.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 01:08:47 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Hey Rollie,

Totally lost on me, bro.

Cheers,
Footey

Zach Lowe disagrees:

I still think this was actually the offer to try to move up to 3 or 4, and because it was assumed we were after Winslow with the 3rd or 4th pick, it was also assumed we would make the same type of offer to the Hornets/Bobcats considering our 'prize' was still there in Winslow. That offer is so extreme just to move up 5-6 spots. I wonder if Porzingis was actually the one we were targeting considering we were rumored in really liking him if he came out in the 2014 draft instead of 2015.

I don't doubt we offered 15, 16, and a future BKN pick to a team in the lottery, and I don't doubt we were talking to Charlotte, but I do doubt that offer was made to Charlotte. Seems like a more appropriate offer to the Knicks with their 4th pick which we were also rumored in wanting at the time IIRC.

It wouldn't surprise me if something got lost in translation with all the teams Ainge was talking to in an attempt to consolidate and move up.

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 01:54:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Hey Rollie,

Totally lost on me, bro.

Cheers,
Footey

Zach Lowe disagrees:

I still think this was actually the offer to try to move up to 3 or 4, and because it was assumed we were after Winslow with the 3rd or 4th pick, it was also assumed we would make the same type of offer to the Hornets/Bobcats considering our 'prize' was still there in Winslow. That offer is so extreme just to move up 5-6 spots. I wonder if Porzingis was actually the one we were targeting considering we were rumored in really liking him if he came out in the 2014 draft instead of 2015.

I don't doubt we offered 15, 16, and a future BKN pick to a team in the lottery, and I don't doubt we were talking to Charlotte, but I do doubt that offer was made to Charlotte. Seems like a more appropriate offer to the Knicks with their 4th pick which we were also rumored in wanting at the time IIRC.

It wouldn't surprise me if something got lost in translation with all the teams Ainge was talking to in an attempt to consolidate and move up.
That isn't what Lowe says.  Lowe flat out says Danny offered that to Charlotte, not that he offered it to NY (he might have, but who knows).  I absolutely believe Lowe on this one because there were plenty of other reports unconnected to Lowe's that said Boston offered Charlotte one of the unprotected BKN 1st's (most assumed it was the pick that would later become Brown).

Danny is absolutely lucky that Jordan fell in love with Kaminsky and didn't make the trade.

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
All time stupid "decline" of a trade by Jordan.  Ainge woke up glad that it didn't happen.  He got a little bit crazy with his offers.  But luck is sometimes a part of GMing. 

Ainge has had a lot of good moments in his career as Celtics GM but the Brooklyn Nets 'grand larceny' trade is probably going to go down as his masterpiece.  That one trade enabled the Celtics to end up with Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, and Kyrie Irving today.  And one more chip yet to materialize - either the Lakers or Kings 1st round pick.

Celtics are sitting pretty.  And Ainge is going down as one of the greatest GMs in the league.

Btw, if Ainge's 'brain doctor' told him that Fultz wasn't a winner, guess what, the brain doctor looks correct right about now.  And aren't we glad we passed on the overrated Lonzo Ball and went with Tatum instead?

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41

Btw, if Ainge's 'brain doctor' told him that Fultz wasn't a winner, guess what, the brain doctor looks correct right about now.  And aren't we glad we passed on the overrated Lonzo Ball and went with Tatum instead?

Isn't it a bit early in their respective careers to make these sort of proclamations?

Isn't it possible to celebrate who we got without denigrating who we didn't?

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Isn't it a bit early in their respective careers to make these sort of proclamations?

its never too early to jump to a conclusion on a player at cb.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Are you saying that Tatum doesn't look like the best rookie player taken out of the top 3 in the draft when he is averaging 14 points a game, 5.5 rebounds, and 51% from 3 point land right now?  I just call it like I see it.  You are welcome to wait 5 years before coming to a conclusion but don't expect other people to take that long to connect the dots.

Lonzo Ball - Dead last in FG%, 3Pt%, FT% in the NBA.  Gee, he's a real worldbeater, isn't he?

Markelle Fultz - can't even raise his arm to shoot jumpshots.  Eventually shut down because his agent, not his team, claimed he had an injury.

I don't see a very strong case for Fultz OR Ball.

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 05:03:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I said this before the draft and can still see it happening. Ball will be the best player in this draft. Except one caveat after a couple of months...That is if Tatum isn't.

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41
Are you saying that Tatum doesn't look like the best rookie player taken out of the top 3 in the draft ...

No, I wasn't saying that.

I just call it like I see it.  You are welcome to wait 5 years before coming to a conclusion ...

These are the only two choices? Proclaim a clear winner now or wait five years?