Author Topic: Remember When We Had Fultz Week On This Blog? How Time Flies  (Read 5673 times)

Remember When We Had Fultz Week On This Blog? How Time Flies
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.celticsblog.com/2017/6/5/15738494/markelle-fultz-week-on-celticsblog-nba-draft-boston-celtics

The caption read under the title, "Because the rest of the Draft is boring"  

Oh, Jeff Clark, you and your foreshadowing!  :laugh:

Still, it's funny to think at this time, between June 5-9 in particular, it was almost a given the C's would take Fultz with pick #1, and news was trickling in that Fultz was working out with the C's, guys on the team currently (like Jaylen) talking about how super-talented Fultz is, Fultz and Ainge being spotted at the restaurant, etc. 

Then came the trade news that the C's traded pick #1 to the Sixers for #3 and the 2018/2019 LAL/SAC 1st Rounder. A lot of us panicked and had colossal meltdowns over this, especially when at first it was reported the C's would get #3 AND TWO future lottery picks, but it turned out to be JUST ONE future lottery pick, loaded with annoying protections.

"But Fultz is the next Kyrie! He's the next Harden! He would have worked perfectly alongside Isaiah!"

Funny, because the C's selected Tatum, who to me now looks like the best player out of this Draft (time will tell), and traded for Kyrie Irving (which NO ONE saw coming). Either way, I'm super glad to have Tatum and am excited he's here and am excited for his growth here. Already looks so polished, and his 4th quarter stats/performances make him look like a 19 year old Paul Pierce already.  :o

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to intentionally diss Fultz. He is VERY talented and I hope he recovers from his injury and does extremely well in this league. I'm rooting for him, to be honest, and would love for him to be a big part of the future C's-Sixers rivalry. But Ainge at the moment looks like a GENIUS for selecting Tatum, who to me has tremendous upside and is already contributing so much to this contending-team.

I'm not sure if the Forums here in particular had a "Fultz Week", but the blog definitely did, and looking back at it, I just smile thinking how naive we were to think the Draft and offseason would be that simple with Ainge at the helm.  :laugh:

What looked like a given ultimately led to a wild, chaotic offseason. From Hayward choosing to come here, to not choosing, to choosing again, then the Irving trade, along with trading Bradley, to selecting Tatum instead of Fultz, to only having 4 players from last year's ECF team remain on the roster. Don't think I can recall an even crazier offseason from the C's in recent years..
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Remember When We Had Fultz Week On This Blog? How Time Flies
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'm not convinced Fultz is finished. He's always been criticized for folding under pressure, but he's also been given unlimited expectations, which he also set upon himself unfortunately with his, "I know I'm the 1st pick in the draft," comments. Then again, what other candidate or prospect willingly undermines himself?

Taking a look the metrics, Fultz ranked favorably on pick and rolls, a staple for any guard in the NBA, nowadays, (30.4% of his offense, placing him in the 93rd percentile,) he's also hit 45.3% of corner spot up 3's in college. He's been compared to Lillard, Kyrie, and D'Angelo Russell. All players who do have similar characteristics in how they operate in the top of the key, make bounce passes, and just score in a similar fashion. Being compared to those prospects aren't anything to sneeze at either, and I can definitely see some similarities in their games, for sure.

The 76ers were undeniably convinced they had fleeced Ainge. Obviously, the question will still remain for years to come, did the 76ers really make such a terrible trade, and will this haunt them for years to come? I say this, because you could slot Tatum or Simmons at the 4, and let Tatum operate as the 3rd complimentary scorer, (which is the role the Celtics have placed him in, and which he's done excellent to begin with,) but then again... With Simmons at the helm manning the majority of the facilitating/drive and kicking out plays, it simply leaves absolutely not that much pressure on Fultz to get healthy, and go back to the rim breaking and mid range dead-eye scorer that he was in college. All Fultz has to do is literally work on getting healthy, improving his shooting ability, and being able to go back to using his space creating moves to score from his mid range jumper.

People really judge Ainge's drafting... But to evaluate talent and your job as GM is to make smart personnel decisions minus any emotional attachments, and hit any pick you have in the top 10.

I think Ainge has clearly done both.

But yes, that was an extremely crazy off-season... Like seriously.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, I love tatums potential and regardless of where the pick ends up, DA did a nice job.  But these posts writing off fultz are laughingly premature.  At the end of the day, as long as Tatum turns into a very good player, I’m not too concerned about fultz.  Ending up with Kyrie means he would not have been the best fit here, which is something you can also say about philly (given Simmons’s playing point).

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Fultz is going to be a very nice complementary piece to the Sixers once he gets his health and head healed.  He may end up being their leading scorer. But will always be the third wheel. Doesn't have the Alpha game of Simmons.  Nor of Embiid.  Frankly, I understand the Sixers thinking, probably felt with Covington and Saric, Tatum didn't fit into their starting lineup the way Fultz will.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The 76ers were undeniably convinced they had fleeced Ainge. Obviously, the question will still remain for years to come, did the 76ers really make such a terrible trade, and will this haunt them for years to come? I say this, because you could slot Tatum or Simmons at the 4, and let Tatum operate as the 3rd complimentary scorer, (which is the role the Celtics have placed him in, and which he's done excellent to begin with,) but then again... With Simmons at the helm manning the majority of the facilitating/drive and kicking out plays, it simply leaves absolutely not that much pressure on Fultz to get healthy, and go back to the rim breaking and mid range dead-eye scorer that he was in college. All Fultz has to do is literally work on getting healthy, improving his shooting ability, and being able to go back to using his space creating moves to score from his mid range jumper.
[/size]
The Sixers had no shot at Tatum even if they wanted him.  Ainge would have taken Tatum #1 if the trade had fallen through. 

I agree that Fultz is in a great situation.  With Embiid and Simmons, Fultz doesn't need to be their best player or their leader or even their lead PG running their offense.  If it takes 6 weeks or 6 months to get his issues worked out, it doesn't really matter. 

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Love Jayson's talent and maturity level.

Looking forward to him growing in BOS AND that Laker's pick panning out.

Marvelous Marvin Bagley is looking REALLY good.....

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I was so p---ed off when we traded the #1 pick.

I was p---ed when we traded for Kyrie.

I’m dumb.

Anyways, I have learned to never doubt Danny Ainge again.  Has he ever made a bad move? Besides the Perkins trade? Ironically, that trade could actually lead to us getting a top pick (Grizzlies/Jeff Green).

He’s the best GM in basketball.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 04:05:21 PM »

Offline CactusThomas

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 3

I’m dumb.

Anyways, I have learned to never doubt Danny Ainge again. 

Same. :-X
"Manute Bol! Your mom!!" - Dan Aykroyd

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I’m dumb.

Anyways, I have learned to never doubt Danny Ainge again. 

Same. :-X

I’m dumb.

Anyways, I have learned to never doubt Danny Ainge again.  Has he ever made a bad move? Besides the Perkins trade? Ironically, that trade could actually lead to us getting a top pick (Grizzlies/Jeff Green).

He’s the best GM in basketball.

Agreed.

Danny is just too darn good.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You really think Bagley is attainable with the Lakers pick, even if it lands #2? I'm thinking Bagley has to be the early front runner for the #1 pick.

I'm not even considering the possibility of drafting Bagley, because I just find it rather unlikely.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

You really think Bagley is attainable with the Lakers pick, even if it lands #2? I'm thinking Bagley has to be the early front runner for the #1 pick.

I'm not even considering the possibility of drafting Bagley, because I just find it rather unlikely.

Yeah we aren't getting Bagley.

At 2-5, there's a shot at Ayton, Bamba or Doncic.

Otherwise, unless you're high on Porter Jr. at #4 or #5 (despite very complicated back/spinal injury), I'm fine with this pick conveying next year as likely a Top-3 pick (via Kings). Kings look abysmal and I'm sure some of these teams (Lakers, Hawks, Mavs, Bulls) will improve quite a bit next year.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 05:06:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Otherwise, unless you're high on Porter Jr. at #4 or #5 (despite very complicated back/spinal injury), I'm fine with this pick conveying next year as likely a Top-3 pick (via Kings). Kings look abysmal and I'm sure some of these teams (Lakers, Hawks, Mavs, Bulls) will improve quite a bit next year.

I take Michael Porter. His ability to score, and possibly be a two-way player is quintessential in today's NBA. I'm not convinced Ayton will be a franchise big. He'll be great, but someone like Porter comes once in a life time. Since he has great footwork, and doctors medically have given him a vote of confidence in recovery, I'm not that concerned with his injury. The Celtics will do wonders for Porter's development, and he'll be absolutely under no pressure. Tatum is proof of that.

Who would you take personally?

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I take Michael Porter. His ability to score, and possibly be a two-way player is quintessential in today's NBA. I'm not convinced Ayton will be a franchise big. He'll be great, but someone like Porter comes once in a life time. Since has great footwork, and doctors medically have given him a vote of confidence in recovery.

Well said, and personally, it obviously depends on where we pick, because that could be crucial as well (#2? #3#? #4? #5? Who will be available? Etc.)

If we land #2, I'd lean towards Doncic. #3, then Ayton. #4? Porter Jr.

Then #5, idk, I'm honestly not super high on Bamba, who many project will be #5, so I'd consider maybe trading down, or maybe packaging that pick + another big asset and see if there's a young up-and-coming star to be had. If not, then I guess trade down or.. select Bamba? Not too sure there.

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 05:19:44 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

I take Michael Porter. His ability to score, and possibly be a two-way player is quintessential in today's NBA. I'm not convinced Ayton will be a franchise big. He'll be great, but someone like Porter comes once in a life time. Since has great footwork, and doctors medically have given him a vote of confidence in recovery.

Well said, and personally, it obviously depends on where we pick, because that could be crucial as well (#2? #3#? #4? #5? Who will be available? Etc.)

Then #5, idk, I'm honestly not super high on Bamba, who many project will be #5, so I'd consider maybe trading down, or maybe packaging that pick + another big asset and see if there's a young up-and-coming star to be had. If not, then I guess trade down or.. select Bamba? Not too sure there.

I'm intrigued to hear why you would take Doncic over Porter or Ayton. Is it because of his skill, or his leadership at a young age?

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm intrigued to hear why you would take Doncic over Porter or Ayton. Is it because of his skill, or his leadership at a young age?

Honestly, it's hard to decide, since Ayton and Doncic are both raw players with tremendous upside, and are both young.

I lean towards Doncic as of now b/c he's being regarded as the "Best European prospect in history", and NBA Mock sites are super high on him as well.

That said, I want to see more of this season unfold, and I certainly wouldn't mind Ayton at #2 instead.

As for Porter, his injury still poses a risk at the moment (even if he's "medically cleared") and I just don't think a team will take a chance on him at Top-3. Maybe he's taken #3 though? Who knows...