Author Topic: Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Danny was right  (Read 8814 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Danny was right
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
I gotta admit though that I get a kick out of overreactions, both here and other fansites.  I recall one poster writing an expletive containing post that went something like "Oh great, Danny just drafted a fat chucker that I've never heard of" when we selected Yabusele.  Now granted Yabu hasn't done anything yet, but I don't get the point of criticizing a player whom you've never watched before and hadn't even put on a C's jersey yet.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I gotta admit though that I get a kick out of overreactions, both here and other fansites.  I recall one poster writing an expletive containing post that went something like "Oh great, Danny just drafted a fat chucker that I've never heard of" when we selected Yabusele.  Now granted Yabu hasn't done anything yet, but I don't get the point of criticizing a player whom you've never watched before and hadn't even put on a C's jersey yet.

yabu has work to do. He needs to lose 10 pounds.  He is not fat, but needs to slim down a little, that should help with his lateral quickness.

Danny tends to take chances  with picks around #14

Avery Bradley panned out.  But James young did not.   Yabu still a wait and see

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I also feel a lot is their mature/intelligent personalities, coupled with a winning environment.

I absolutely agree that is has a lot to do with how mature they seem.

Marcus in hindsight looks like a strange pick. He was volatile in college. Perhaps Danny saw something else in Marcus.
marcus smart was the consensus #6 pick. After him and randle the pickings were slim

Looking back, danny did well. No one except Gary Harris and maybe Rodney Hood, capela broke out. That draft was top heavy and smart was a great pick compared to vonleh/stauskas/mcbuckets and  the other lotto guys

Eh, Smart was an alright pick at best. 

Nikola Jokic, Jusuf Nurkic, Elfrid Peyton, Zach Lavine, Dario Saric, TJ Warren, Spencer Dinwiddie, Jordan Clarckson, and the aforementioned Harris, Capela, and Hood all went after Smart in that draft.
so did Randle.  Not saying all of those guys would go ahead of Smart in a redraft, but in said redraft he probably goes around 10 which isn't exactly great value for a 6th pick.

And Smart wasn't a consensus 6 pick at all.  Even the day of the draft people felt Randle might have been the better selection (some mocks even had Vonleh to Boston or earlier with one of the other players dropping to the C's).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 03:22:10 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 03:29:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
While I am pleasantly surprised with Brown's development and Tatum's athleticism and quickness, which were my primary concerns with the latter at the time of the draft, I must ask - is there a worse passing sg/sf combination in the league, lol?  I realize that that's not their role as of right now, but for two starters playing at 30+ mpg every night, their combined apg of 2.7 and tpg of 2.9 is shockingly bad, imo. 

That's not to say that everyone has to be Rondo, but I find their lack of passing to be quite concerning, all the same, even though they're obviously both young guys, but I'm weird, so...

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 04:40:05 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
While I am pleasantly surprised with Brown's development and Tatum's athleticism and quickness, which were my primary concerns with the latter at the time of the draft, I must ask - is there a worse passing sg/sf combination in the league, lol?  I realize that that's not their role as of right now, but for two starters playing at 30+ mpg every night, their combined apg of 2.7 and tpg of 2.9 is shockingly bad, imo. 

That's not to say that everyone has to be Rondo, but I find their lack of passing to be quite concerning, all the same, even though they're obviously both young guys, but I'm weird, so...

I’m not an advanced stats guy, but I would wager to guess Brown touches the ball more than Tatum on average. I think Tatum’s numbers will go up as the season progresses and it becomes obvious that he needs to be more than our fifth option among the starters.

Brown is feast or famine.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:53 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

With an increased role in the offense (in terms of creating for others) I expect both would hover around 3.5 apg. While that isn't great, that's passable. I would be more concerned if they looked like they are unable to make the proper pass, which is far from the case. Both of these young guys look both capable and willing to pass to the open player.
#JKJB

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I’m not an advanced stats guy, but I would wager to guess Brown touches the ball more than Tatum on average. I think Tatum’s numbers will go up as the season progresses and it becomes obvious that he needs to be more than our fifth option among the starters.

Brown is feast or famine.

I've watched their passing a lot as of late and both seem to make the right pass when given the opportunity and both seem quite accurate with their passes, as well. This is especially noticeable in transition.

The thing about our team is that everything goes through Al and Irving - like everything - so when Brown or Tatum get the ball, it is either in the middle of swinging it around to the next open man or [more commonly] as the player who eventually takes the shot. Both of them often get the ball in the corner and either have the open 3 or drive it to the hoop.

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 08:56:50 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I've always trusted Danny, so I don't overreact to his moves.  If you think about it, most of his major recent moves have been unpopular at first. 

- The PP & KG trade was a major gutpunch because every C's fan loved them, but without it we obviously wouldn't be where we are today.  Among the biggest trade heists of all time.
- Hiring of Brad Stevens.  Danny made this hiring relatively quickly after Doc left, leaving many surprised.  Most were lukewarm on this move at best.
- The Rondo trade was unpopular by many here, including myself.  The return seemed underwhelming at first, but it turned out to be a good move.
- I thought Danny would draft Dunn.  I was happy with Brown and didn't understand the negative reaction.
- This place was going berserk when we traded down from #1 to select Tatum.
- The Kyrie trade was understandably unpopular.  I loved IT as much as anyone but it was a good move, despite a very high cost.

I was as nervous as anyone about most of these moves, but at the end of the day didn't fret and just trusted that Danny knew what he was doing.  Turns out that he came out on top in most cases.  I don't think there's a GM in the league that does a better job of creating value with his moves.

Avery's second contract was WIDELY panned at the time.. (and speaking of contracts, Jae Crowder's long term deal was incredible.

I also freaked out when I heard the Avery return, but that has turned out OK. I'm not really the biggest fan of Marcus Morris - but I like his contract (both $, and length). Not to mention he really does play consistently good defense. Just wish he wasn't such a curmudgeon...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I've always trusted Danny, so I don't overreact to his moves.  If you think about it, most of his major recent moves have been unpopular at first. 

- The PP & KG trade was a major gutpunch because every C's fan loved them, but without it we obviously wouldn't be where we are today.  Among the biggest trade heists of all time.
- Hiring of Brad Stevens.  Danny made this hiring relatively quickly after Doc left, leaving many surprised.  Most were lukewarm on this move at best.
- The Rondo trade was unpopular by many here, including myself.  The return seemed underwhelming at first, but it turned out to be a good move.
- I thought Danny would draft Dunn.  I was happy with Brown and didn't understand the negative reaction.
- This place was going berserk when we traded down from #1 to select Tatum.
- The Kyrie trade was understandably unpopular.  I loved IT as much as anyone but it was a good move, despite a very high cost.

I was as nervous as anyone about most of these moves, but at the end of the day didn't fret and just trusted that Danny knew what he was doing.  Turns out that he came out on top in most cases.  I don't think there's a GM in the league that does a better job of creating value with his moves.
For the record, I fully supported everyone of those moves.  Okay, no one really knew what we’d get with the Stevens hire but I had no problems with it. All the others I thought were good to great moves when I heard them.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Danny has gotten a lot of grief on this site for his drafting acumen, but he really has hit on his top 6 picks with Smart, Brown and Tatum. I think this goes a long way to explaining that your draft record definitely correlates to where you are picking.

That said, Danny was brilliant in trading down for Tatum while getting another, most probable, lottery pick while landing the best player in the draft. I think the last couple of years has shown that his ability to recognize talent is pretty awesome.

If Tatum turns into the type of player he looks like he might be (perennial All-Star, maybe All NBA) and the Celtics get a top-5 pick from the Lakers/Sacramento pick, that trade down from #1 will be the greatest move of his career, eclipsing the Brooklyn trade.

But but but...the Tatum trade wouldn’t have been possible without the BKN trade (which wouldn’t have been possible without the original KG trade, etc  :P ) So BKN trade will forever win out!

I understand what you mean, but at the same time with using that line of thinking, wouldn't the original KG trade trump all? That trade helped bring a title, which later turned into the Brooklyn trade, where Danny would draft one bust, Smart, Brown, Tatum and an eventual 2018/2019 pick.

If I'm ranking those 3 trades, it would be KG, Tatum/Lakers pick, and then Brooklyn. Some luck is going to be involved in the Lakers pick, but the Brooklyn trade was all luck. When that trade was originally made, I was thinking those picks would be in the 20's. I thought KG and Pierce would play a role in bringing a winning culture to that franchise, which would have lead to free agents wanting to go there to win. However, Brooklyn decided it was a good idea to add a former player, with no coaching experience, to be their new head coach. From afar, it looked like no one wanted to be there in Brooklyn that season.