Author Topic: Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Danny was right  (Read 8776 times)

Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Danny was right
« on: December 02, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
2016 draft - Celtics pick Brown.... Boooos from Celtics fans attending the draft. More than half the Celts nation stunned with the pick

2017 draft - Celtics trade the #1 pick (Fultz). Celtics fans puking all over the place.  Celtics pick Tatum

Danny is a genius.  Glad he is the GM.  Another stellar performance by these two young guns.   Celtics have the brightest future out of any other team in the league.

Re: Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum. Danny was right
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 08:57:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Interesting seeing a game vs the Suns where Bender/Chriss could have been the pick over Brown and Jackson could have been the pick over Tatum. Those guys don't look particularly horrible, but it looks like having the 3rd pick the last two years (instead of the 4th) actually was an advantage as I certainly wouldn't trade our guys for theirs...good job, Danny!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:15:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Interesting seeing a game vs the Suns where Bender/Chriss could have been the pick over Brown and Jackson could have been the pick over Tatum. Those guys don't look particularly horrible, but it looks like having the 3rd pick the last two years (instead of the 4th) actually was an advantage as I certainly wouldn't trade our guys for theirs...good job, Danny!

Exactly

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Danny has gotten a lot of grief on this site for his drafting acumen, but he really has hit on his top 6 picks with Smart, Brown and Tatum. I think this goes a long way to explaining that your draft record definitely correlates to where you are picking.

That said, Danny was brilliant in trading down for Tatum while getting another, most probable, lottery pick while landing the best player in the draft. I think the last couple of years has shown that his ability to recognize talent is pretty awesome.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:21:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Lots of fun to watch those two. 

I'm wondering when they'll give a Tatum a game where they really go to him for offense early on and see what he does with it.  He's done amazingly well contributing with a "take it comes" scoring diet.  We've seen what he do in the 4th when they feed him. 

He was the catalyst on both ends when the game on the line today.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:44:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
That’s why they’re trouble 07

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 09:50:15 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I also feel a lot is their mature/intelligent personalities, coupled with a winning environment.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I also feel a lot is their mature/intelligent personalities, coupled with a winning environment.
Stevens and the winning environment are a very important part of this.  I bet a few of the Suns’ lottery picks would be looking a lot better if they were drafted by the Celtics.  And someone like Jalen Brown would probably look worse on the Suns. 

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
2016 draft - Celtics pick Brown.... Boooos from Celtics fans attending the draft. More than half the Celts nation stunned with the pick

2017 draft - Celtics trade the #1 pick (Fultz). Celtics fans puking all over the place.  Celtics pick Tatum

Danny is a genius.  Glad he is the GM.  Another stellar performance by these two young guns.   Celtics have the brightest future out of any other team in the league.

Ah, yes. And even more than that. They're able to play around 2 all stars, learning roles and not having pressure to create crazy plays on sucky teams. That's huge. They can learn defense, and how to find their spots without having to force anything. Has to be the best scenario for a player to develop.

Meanwhile, NBA radio on XM feature a discussion of "teams of the future."  Couldn't deny the C's a place of honor in that category, but were stumped because the team is also a win-now team. This idea of super talented top picks playing as role players is novel.

Props to Danny. This might be the best rebuild process ever.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 12:22:40 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
By the way, isn't it even crazier now that Josh Jackson refused to work out for the celtics? How idiotic does it look now? Tatum, assuming good health an continued progression, probably could get a contract where ever he wants when he's a free agent. Josh Jackson was worried about playing time and fit if he were drafted by the Celtics? I just don't get these decisions sometimes.

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 12:39:38 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I absolutely agree that is has a lot to do with how mature they seem.

Marcus in hindsight looks like a strange pick. He was volatile in college. Perhaps Danny saw something else in Marcus.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 02:21:43 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
By the way, isn't it even crazier now that Josh Jackson refused to work out for the celtics? How idiotic does it look now? Tatum, assuming good health an continued progression, probably could get a contract where ever he wants when he's a free agent. Josh Jackson was worried about playing time and fit if he were drafted by the Celtics? I just don't get these decisions sometimes.
He was scared.  We dont want scardy cats

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 02:24:08 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
what's funny is - Tatum is starting and ROY runner up because of his minutes, while josh comes off the bench for a terrible suns team and isn't even top 10 in rookie rankings

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 03:47:48 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I absolutely agree that is has a lot to do with how mature they seem.

Marcus in hindsight looks like a strange pick. He was volatile in college. Perhaps Danny saw something else in Marcus.
marcus smart was the consensus #6 pick. After him and randle the pickings were slim

Looking back, danny did well. No one except Gary Harris and maybe Rodney Hood, capela broke out. That draft was top heavy and smart was a great pick compared to vonleh/stauskas/mcbuckets and  the other lotto guys

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 07:04:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Danny is a genius.  Glad he is the GM.  Another stellar performance by these two young guns.   Celtics have the brightest future out of any other team in the league

Agree, TP.