Author Topic: Rebounding *sigh*  (Read 2646 times)

Rebounding *sigh*
« on: December 02, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Why is out rebounding suddenly an issue again? Effort?  Just a lull? Anyone seeing anything in particular out there?

Re: Rebounding *sigh*
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 03:32:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i just checked. the celtics are SECOND in the league in total rebounds. and have a +71 differential.

so...which team are you referring to that has such rebounding woes??

unc, in all honesty, if you are going to start a thread that deals with stats, it would behoove you to do some basic research prior to posting. it makes you look a lot better.

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are believing our own hype and not trying as hard.   This team tends to play to the level of their opponent a lot.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
Why is out rebounding suddenly an issue again? Effort?  Just a lull? Anyone seeing anything in particular out there?

There was a sequence in the 4th quarter where Tyson Chandler tipped the ball 5 or 6 times until the putback finally went in, inflating the rebound discrepancy.

Overall we've rebounded well this season, so I'm not too worried about it at this point.  You can't win the rebound battle every game.   The C's also shot the ball well, leading to less O rebound opportunities.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think he's referring to the fact that we've gotten out rebounded in our last 5 consecutive games.  Certainly a trend worth being concerned about.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Certainly a concerning trend along with their regression on defense.

This might be a case of regression back to the mean.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I personally liked when they showed a graphic of total rebounds for both teams with 2:40 left in the 2nd quarter and we only had 8 at the time. I didn't know this was possible - especially since we were leading at the time.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 03:51:09 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
i just checked. the celtics are SECOND in the league in total rebounds. and have a +71 differential.

so...which team are you referring to that has such rebounding woes??

unc, in all honesty, if you are going to start a thread that deals with stats, it would behoove you to do some basic research prior to posting. it makes you look a lot better.
I could use stats, sure, or just reference the last several games in which we're giving up a ton of off boards. You watched right?

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

There was a sequence in the 4th quarter where Tyson Chandler tipped the ball 5 or 6 times until the putback finally went in, inflating the rebound discrepancy.

Overall we've rebounded well this season, so I'm not too worried about it at this point.  You can't win the rebound battle every game.   The C's also shot the ball well, leading to less O rebound opportunities.

Shooting well should help us as far as the rebound discrepancy goes, though, since ~75% of rebounds are defensive (so every 4 missed shots by us generally means more 3 more rebounds for our opponent compared to just 1 more for us).  Our defensive regression has likely played more of a role than offensive improvement
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I agree with the OP. CBS even mentioned it as a problem against the sixers, too.

The Cs have young players learning to bring it every night.

In an interview earlier this season, CBS mentioned how he can tell where our energy level is at by how well our guards are rebounding.

We don't have a huge Center that soaks in all the rebounds. We aren't gonna get rebounds by default that way. That means that our rebounding might come and go.

The good news is that we can rebound with any team in the NBA when our energy level is high.

The bad news is that we will probably struggle to rebound on a Saturday afternoon game in early December, or any other meh games on our schedule.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 04:30:02 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003

Shooting well should help us as far as the rebound discrepancy goes, though, since ~75% of rebounds are defensive (so every 4 missed shots by us generally means more 3 more rebounds for our opponent compared to just 1 more for us).  Our defensive regression has likely played more of a role than offensive improvement

True.  A flawed point on my part.

Looking at the previous games to this one, we gave up
15 O rebounds to PHI and were outrebounded by 5
8 O rebs to DET and outrebounded by 4
10 O rebs to IND and outrebounded by 6
16 O rebs to ORL and outrebounded by 5

So yeah a concerning trend.  I'm wondering how much of the poor rebounding is happening with our smaller lineups and when Baynes is not on the floor.  I haven't looked at advanced stats but I'd imagine Baynes in the starting unit was a big part of our solid rebounding earlier in the season.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2017, 05:41:32 PM »

Offline SaCaCh

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
To me we seem exhausted. This schedule which has been back breaking so far is only going to get worse until January. By then we would have played almost half the season in a little over two months! I think we regress this month and try and regroup after the new year.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 05:55:04 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
In Feb we may have the leading rebounder on the Suns on our team, too. Tyson Chandler was a beast.😀
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

The starting unit had 12 rebounds for the entire game
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2017, 10:58:03 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Baynes, Irving, and Brown had 1 rebound total.

What is going on?

Re: The starting unit had 12 rebounds for the entire game
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 12:41:39 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Too many threads about rebounding is what's going on.