Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 67035 times)

Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #375 on: July 15, 2018, 01:37:19 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Good show by our team.
France's first two goals were the breeze of luck that is necessary to be the WC winner.
Tough out, but historical result nevertheless.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #376 on: July 15, 2018, 01:52:15 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's a cruel sport sometimes.

The French truly have been abysmal today and quite frankly deserve nothing. Croats have played them off the field.

But it's the scoreboard that matters in these games.

4-2 and the French deserves nothing? Croats got throttled by a better team, nuff said.
Throttled? Croatia was the better team for the first half and probably the first 20 mins of the 2nd half (basically when I made my initial post). France played well on the counter after the 3rd goal but it was mostly due to Croats pushing up to get and score. The Croatian midfield had a master class exhibition on how to destroy the French midfield for 65 minutes.

Ultimately, scoreboard matters and France for the result but I don't think they played very well.

« Reply #377 on: July 15, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Im only one who hates soccer

Prob not the only one in the world, but maybe the only one who clicked on this thread. Most people know that the World Cup refers to soccer.

It is a decently fun game to watch, but I don't think this is the game that takes over America (like many have said). Yes, kids play soccer, but kids also participate in dance recitals. I feel like I've been to a million dance recitals- doesn't mean that they too are going to take over America anytime soon.

I honestly don't know how much the U.S. was missed in this World Cup. Most people I know/talk to don't seem to care that much.

« Reply #378 on: July 15, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #379 on: July 15, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Perisic was unbelievable this tournament.

He blew me away. Relentless and constantly dangerous. What a player.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #380 on: July 16, 2018, 02:26:01 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't know why having the ball and passing it around in the midfield means playing better.

« Reply #381 on: July 16, 2018, 03:56:57 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
France deserved to win the WC.
They played with what they had, within themseves. World class athletes, defensive minded coach, and enough finishing in front of the goal, especially on the break, did it..

Croatia perhaps, made the more inspired artistic impression. But it wasn't our game result wise, even though we created chances and moved the ball well. But in the end, unlucky 1st goal came, some more bad luck at the second one and it is enough to decide a match such as this.

However, in a 4/5 hours our NT team will arrive from Moscow and get a epic parade today in Zagreb and throughout the whole Croatia. It is a day for celebratation and pride.

« Reply #382 on: July 16, 2018, 08:15:22 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Im only one who hates soccer
similar enough to basketball
movement, ball movement, skill
why hate?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #383 on: July 17, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
http://en.protothema.gr/croatia-football-team-to-donate-world-cup-prize-money-to-needy-children-fund/

all the players and coaching staff of the Croatian national football team decided to donate their 2nd spot share of the Russian World Cup prize money pool to the special charity funds for Croatian children.

That means something close to 20m Euro !

« Reply #384 on: July 17, 2018, 04:09:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://en.protothema.gr/croatia-football-team-to-donate-world-cup-prize-money-to-needy-children-fund/

all the players and coaching staff of the Croatian national football team decided to donate their 2nd spot share of the Russian World Cup prize money pool to the special charity funds for Croatian children.

That means something close to 20m Euro !
That is the country share not necessarily the players share, but it is still awesome.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #385 on: July 18, 2018, 04:43:04 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
That is what i think too but by reading their announcment it is clear they mean the whole amount. maybe there is an error in the translation

I don't know if fifa is kidding or not with the best 11 ....

Lloris
Trippier, Varane, Lovren, Young
 Paulinho, Modric, Hazard
 Neymar, Griezmann and Mbappé.

seriously ????
Best keeper was Courtois but keeper of the best 11 is Lloris ?

Young ????????

Paulihno and not rakitic or Witsel or DeBruyne or Perisic?

NEYMAR ???? The laughing stock of the tournament instead of Lukaku or Kane or even Cheryshev ??? there are at least 15 more suitable than neymar !

i am speachless........

« Reply #386 on: July 18, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
That is what i think too but by reading their announcement it is clear they mean the whole amount. maybe there is an error in the translation

I don't know if FIFA is kidding or not with the best 11 ...

Lloris
Trippier, Varane, Lovren, Young
 Paulinho, Modric, Hazard
 Neymar, Griezmann, and Mbappé.

seriously ????
The best keeper was Courtois but the keeper of the best 11 is Lloris?

Young ????????

Paulihno and not Rakitic or Witsel or DeBruyne or Perisic?

NEYMAR ???? The laughing stock of the tournament instead of Lukaku or Kane or even Cheryshev ??? there are at least 15 more suitable than Neymar!

I am speechless........

Squads like this are like those all NBA teams, DeRozan or DJ slip in and I'm like :o What?

DeBruyne is definitively missing as he was simply superb the whole tournament, in both, "last pass" distribution and exploiting empty spaces with incisive runs.

At least Kane wasn't in.
IMO, the lamest golden boot in my lifetime.
British always blow their players out of proportions, and that is often annoying.

Of Kanes his 6 goals:
- 5 were against Panama and Tunis (think Phoenix and Orlando)
- 3 were from 11 meters
- 0 goals in 4 knockout stage games

« Reply #387 on: July 18, 2018, 07:06:01 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I wouldn't have picked Kane for the best 11 but even he had better tournament than Neymar.

I don't remember such controversial selections in the nba. There were amost every year objections but nothing that ridiculous like for example picking Lin in 1st All NBA or the NBA MVP not  being 1st team All NBA

« Reply #388 on: July 18, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'd have chosen the following team:

Courtois (Belgium); Vrsaljko (Croatia), Varane (France), Maguire (England), Marcelo (Brazil); Pogba (France), Modric (Croatia), Coutinho (Brazil); Mbappé (France), Ronaldo (Portugal), Hazard (Belgium).

To me Brazil was the best footballing team this tournament. Especially their left side was very good, that's why I included Marcelo en Coutinho in the team. England reached the semis due to their dominance in the air, in particular Maguire, although not flashy that deserves a spot. It was a close call between Meunier and Vrsaljko.

De Bruyne had some great moments, but he wasn't a big factor on the pitch against the top teams (Brazil (2nd half), France and England). That's why he doesn't make the cut. Ronaldo might be a surprising pick, but to me he was the best player in the group stage and that's why I gave him the edge despite only playing 4 matches. Neither striker of the semi finalists impressed me.

« Reply #389 on: July 18, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Yep, Neymar's selection is a joke. How was Neymar better than Perisic/Cheryshev (or even Coutinho for that matter)? The same goes for Paulinho over Kante.

My first 11 would be

........................Courtois......................
Vrsaljko.....Varane.....Godin.....Marcelo
.............Kante.....................................
.....................................Modric............
Mbappe............Hazard.............Perisic
......................Griezmann....................

Couldn't think of a standout left back. Marcelo did nothing special but he is still a world class LB. Missed one game due to injury (vs. Mexico) and his absence was felt immediately. Filipe Luis (his backup) was possibly the worst Brazilian player on the pitch that day.

Alternatively, I'd pick Augustinsson. Was voted man of the match against Mexico (scored the first goal). Not to mention, Sweden had a pretty nice tournament as well (they reached the quarter finals).

Hate to leave De Bruyne out of my first 11. It was either him or Griezmann. Opted for Griezmann cause France won the world cup.

Hazard..........De Bruyne...........Perisic
.......................Mbappe.......................
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:21:36 AM by Jvalin »