Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 67023 times)

Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Now Brazil has dropped points.

The favorites has not looked like the favorites at all. What a very interesting start this has been.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

The favorites has not looked like the favorites at all. What a very interesting start this has been.

And yet we all know who the likely players will be at the final stages of the competition.

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Not convinced by Werner as a sole striker. I think he needs a partner up front in order to get the best out of him. Someone Werner can combine off of and link with. I'd like to see Germany either switch formation (presumably with Muller alongside him) or drop Werner from the starting 11.

Never been much of a fan of Mario Gomez. A good goal-scorer but doesn't add much in other areas. I am disappointed they didn't bring Sandro Wagner. Not a great player by any means but he works well as a focal point up front and allows others to play off of him. I thought Wagner should have been their starting #9 for the tournament.

Without Wagner and since I am not convinced by Gomez or Werner, I wonder if Germany would not be better off playing one of their attacking midfielders up front ala Spain a few years ago. Maybe Draxler up front with Reus on the left wing. Or vice versa. Or Brandt. Someone with more skill and range on the ball than Werner / Gomez. Someone who can take up different positions (deeper positions) and be tough to defend with Muller making his runs in off the right as defense gets pulled out of position.

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Argentina, Brazil, and Germany all either have losses or ties. What a World Cup it has been!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Argentina, Brazil, and Germany all either have losses or ties. What a World Cup it has been!

I still think they all advance, but it's insane to think that Germany especially *could* be a team that's knocked out in the group stages. I mean, a draw or even a loss to Sweden in the next game (Saturday) could make that a legit possibility.

But still predict Germany advances and Argentina + Brazil as well.

That said, this is a very interesting WC because honestly there doesn't seem to be clear "favorites" in the field. Even the few regarded as favorites looked real sluggish in the first game. Though we have yet to see Belgium play yet, but they should get a comfortable win over Panama tomorrow (or not... we'll see).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2018, 05:50:15 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
looks like Kalinic is packing his bags ..... He refused to be subbed in and the coach is thinking about sending him back home.

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Useless info but impressive at the same time

99.6 of Icelands population watched the game against argentina....

Speaking about argentina ....... Sampaoli went to a practice which was posponed! Is this a serious team ????
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:47:28 PM by ederson »

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
England need to bring Loftus Cheek on. I do not like Alli & Lingard as a midfield pairing. Lingard more of a wide attacker [an attacker more than an organizer of play] and Alli more a guy who runs into the box [also more of an attacker more than an organizer of play]. Neither are creative passers. England lacking that creativity in the middle of the park. Loftus-Cheek is the best man to provide that in the squad. He needs to be on the pitch.

I'd take off Trippier to bring Loftus-Cheek on. Move Sterling out wide and Alli up front.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 03:42:56 PM by Who »

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I like seeing Rashford up front alongside Kane. Good stuff.

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2018, 03:47:16 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
It doesn't matter who plays and who doesn't..... England will always be England... Unfortunately....

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Out of all the guys Tunisia chose to not mark, they chose Harry Kane...

The deserved to lose.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Conversation in my house yesterday:

Family Member: "Did you just spend six hours watching soccer?"

Me: "Yup. It's Father's Day and all I want to do is watch soccer."

Family Member: "I didn't even know you liked soccer."

Me: "I don't."

Family Member: "Then why did you spend six hours watching soccer?"

Me: "Because it's the World Cup."

Family Member: "But that's soccer!"

Me: Mumbling and shaking my head, "You just don't understand..."

Mike

« Reply #102 on: June 18, 2018, 06:01:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah, this World Cup is definitely interesting, in that there doesn't seem to be clear-cut favorites in the field. Even some of the teams that were favorites coming in (Belgium, France, Germany, Argentina, etc.) looked sluggish. Maybe that's just some nerves since it's still early in the tournament, but still interesting.

I know Belgium won 3-0 today but they definitely looked shaky at times before they ultimately wore out Panama and scored 3 second half goals.

Still got two games left tomorrow before the 1st set of group stage games are complete, but I think the Iceland-Argentina result AND Mexico-Germany results are the most surprising so far. Brazil drawing with Switzerland was also surprising I guess.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2018, 04:49:02 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah, this World Cup is definitely interesting, in that there doesn't seem to be clear-cut favorites in the field. Even some of the teams that were favorites coming in (Belgium, France, Germany, Argentina, etc.) looked sluggish. Maybe that's just some nerves since it's still early in the tournament, but still interesting.

I know Belgium won 3-0 today but they definitely looked shaky at times before they ultimately wore out Panama and scored 3 second half goals.

Still got two games left tomorrow before the 1st set of group stage games are complete, but I think the Iceland-Argentina result AND Mexico-Germany results are the most surprising so far. Brazil drawing with Switzerland was also surprising I guess.

Brazil can blame the ref for the result(although i don't remmeber them complaining four years ago when they got plenty of help). I don't see them as a clear favourite as many do but they played pretty good and created chances to win the game.

The only big names who were a total disappointment where Germany and Argentina. I think Germany will play better. Kimmich should play next to Kroos , a real right defender and Reus instead of Ozil or Draxler to create some width. Saturday's game will be huge

I don't know what Argentina can do. They are a mess waiting for Messi to do something magic. Mascherano as a DM is a joke. Icardi on holidays is a joke. Sampaoli doesn't seem to be in charge there.

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2018, 07:19:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
England need to bring Loftus Cheek on. I do not like Alli & Lingard as a midfield pairing. Lingard more of a wide attacker [an attacker more than an organizer of play] and Alli more a guy who runs into the box [also more of an attacker more than an organizer of play]. Neither are creative passers. England lacking that creativity in the middle of the park. Loftus-Cheek is the best man to provide that in the squad. He needs to be on the pitch.

I'd take off Trippier to bring Loftus-Cheek on. Move Sterling out wide and Alli up front.
Isn't Trippier one of our best CBs? Why him? I'd rather move Lingard to the bench, he's horribly inconsistent.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA