Author Topic: Trae Young Awareness Thread  (Read 16282 times)

Re: Trae Young Awareness Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't get why you guys think Young is even worth a top 5 pick...

Can someone breakdown it for me?
Because only Ayton, Bagley, Doncic and Porter (if he comes out) are likely the only players who'll be picked before him. No one else is a sure thing to be picked in front of him.

Not necessarily for C's, but in general I think I'd take Young before Doncic. 

Ayton
Bagley
Young
Bamba
Doncic

With Porter anywhere from 3-5 if deemed healthy enough to gamble.

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Per reports, Michael Porter's injury is not that serious, even though it has to do with the back, and there are reports he could be back with the team this month.
If he does decide to come out this year there is no way he slides out of the top 4. Not. A. Chance.
I was also advocating picking Young if the LA pick falls 5th exactly. Not sure I take anyone, not even Bamba, ahead of Young. His range is sick right now and I think Bamba will take a couple of years to be productive. I don't think he can get enough minutes to make any kind of impact if drafted this year by the C's.

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Because only Ayton, Bagley, Doncic and Porter (if he comes out) are likely the only players who'll be picked before him. No one else is a sure thing to be picked in front of him.

Not necessarily for C's, but in general I think I'd take Young before Doncic. 

Ayton
Bagley
Young
Bamba
Doncic

With Porter anywhere from 3-5 if deemed healthy enough to gamble.

I would not take Bamba with top 5 pick. I'd rather trade down and take Robinson.

Ayton
Porter
Bagley
Doncic
Trade Down and Grab Robinson

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2018, 03:12:58 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Someone will try, and conveniently forget his complete lack of defensive ability

1. What PG scored 30 pts a night and averaged 10 assists and was a good defender?

2. If you're drafting a PG for defense you should be drafting at the end of the first round... not the beginning.

3.  People like Trae Young because he's leading the NCAA in ppg and apg while shooting 40% from 3...

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
VERY poor showing from Trae Young last night. I saw very little of the game but seeing the stats almost made me throw up. Other than 20 points on 8-21 shooting, he had 12 (12!) turnovers. Is that some kind of record? Yikes!

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2018, 07:00:14 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This guy is a turnover machine. It'll get worse in the nba since he's undersized

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2018, 08:40:56 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
This guy is a turnover machine. It'll get worse in the nba since he's undersized

Isn't he the same size as Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry?

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2018, 09:46:41 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Someone will try, and conveniently forget his complete lack of defensive ability

How many PGs in today’s league play good defense? Unless you are way undersized like IT it really doesn’t if you can score as well as make those around you better. Trae Young has those qualities.
KI and Smart both top10 in WS and this is our identity, if you only wants to score go to the Suns

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2018, 10:42:16 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

He's 6'2", but he doesn't have much length or athleticism.

His turnovers are a real concern.  He'll never provide value on defense unless he does it the AI way by playing passing lanes, so he has to be pretty close to flawless as an offensive player to compensate. 

I'm not a big fan.  IMO he's more in the 6-9 range than the 1-5 range.  And I could be wrong - maybe he IS Curry - but I'm content to let somebody else take that chance. 

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2018, 10:55:30 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I'm the same size as Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry, does that mean I wouldn't have turnover issues in the NBA?  Comparing a come-outta-nowhere college player who routinely has 8+ turnover games to 2 of the most skilled players of all time (kyrie best dribbler, steph best shooter) seems shaky.  IMO, this guy is more likely to be Jimmer Fredette than Steph Curry.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

I'm the same size as Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry, does that mean I wouldn't have turnover issues in the NBA?  Comparing a come-outta-nowhere college player who routinely has 8+ turnover games to 2 of the most skilled players of all time (kyrie best dribbler, steph best shooter) seems shaky.  IMO, this guy is more likely to be Jimmer Fredette than Steph Curry.
He has had 2 games with more than 8 turnovers(9& 12). He averages 5.2 through 17 games. while that is double steph and kyrie in college, but we are not half way through the year.

He is 19 and still learning and forming his game.... but he is avg 29.5 pts and 9.8 assists a game.
Kyrie= 17.5 pts and 4.3 ast with 2.5 TO
Steph= 21.5 pts and 2.8 ast with 2.8 TO
Trae= 29.5pts and 9.8 ast with 5.2 TO
AND Jimmer was not a standout freshman at all

SO lets see how he finishes the year but I think he def has potential

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

He has had 2 games with more than 8 turnovers(9& 12). He averages 5.2 through 17 games. while that is double steph and kyrie in college, but we are not half way through the year.

He is 19 and still learning and forming his game.... but he is avg 29.5 pts and 9.8 assists a game.
Kyrie= 17.5 pts and 4.3 ast with 2.5 TO
Steph= 21.5 pts and 2.8 ast with 2.8 TO
Trae= 29.5pts and 9.8 ast with 5.2 TO
AND Jimmer was not a standout freshman at all

SO lets see how he finishes the year but I think he def has potential

I see your point. I need to watch more of the kid but I’m wary. I’d be willing to bet Young is shooting the ball a hell of a lot more than Kyrie was, and it’s a lot easier to average 29 as the one guy on Oklahoma than it is as a freshman on the perenniallly loaded Duke ‘franchise’.

His TOs, height, athleticism and some seemingly chucker tendencies give me pause. I wouldn’t want to spend a top 5 pick on him at this time.

Edit: I’d also expect him to turn the ball over more in the 2nd half of the year against better teams, not less. But I could very well be wrong about him.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:05:12 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Some of you need to watch him play instead of watching his stats. Granted, I didn't see last nights game as it interfered with the C's game so I don't know how many BAD turnovers he had. But I just don't see many players right now that are better than him that will likely come out in this draft other than the 4 I already mentioned before. I would still take him over Bamba but not over Bagley, Porter, Ayton or Doncic.
He can really shoot (and get his shot off) and score and we all know how badly we need bench scoring. The turnovers just aren't sustainable at this rate. And he has very good vision, getting MANY open looks for his teammates who just don't knock down a high rate of WIDE OPEN shots they get because of the attention he gets on defense.

« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!

How many PGs in today’s league play good defense? Unless you are way undersized like IT it really doesn’t if you can score as well as make those around you better. Trae Young has those qualities.
KI and Smart both top10 in WS and this is our identity, if you only wants to score go to the Suns

Did I ever say the C's should draft him? Drafting someone top 5 just to come off the bench isn't Ainge's style. FYI: Kyrie isn't a good defender either.

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2018, 07:22:58 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Did I ever say the C's should draft him? Drafting someone top 5 just to come off the bench isn't Ainge's style. FYI: Kyrie isn't a good defender either.
We pretty much don't have any openings so no matter if draft someone at 2 or at 5 they are not going to crack the starting line-up. If the pick conveys and DA doesn't trade it then there is no other way for the pick to get playing time BUT to come off the bench.