Author Topic: Tatum leads the NBA in 4th quarter shooting percentages  (Read 2437 times)

Tatum leads the NBA in 4th quarter shooting percentages
« on: December 01, 2017, 03:48:07 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Among all nba players (not just rookies) , Tatum leads in:
4th quarter FG% (min. 50 shot attempts) – JAYSON TATUM (65.5%)
4th qtr 3-pt% (min. 10 shot attempts) – JAYSON TATUM (69.2%)

https://mobile.twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/936458503052496896

Bonus clip: Tatum takes it right at ben simmons for lay up then corner 3 next possession  https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/7gs3nl/rookie_of_the_year_jayson_tatum_takes_it_right_at/

Also  Tatum is ranked 10th out of all 456 nba players in defensive win shares (iv know it's more of a team based stat but thought I would share ) https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:56:52 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Tatum leads the NBA in 4th quarter shooting percentages
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:09:37 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Saw that in this story:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-113017-tatum-cool-calm-collected-crunch-time?sf174937382=1

This is the guy I wanted in the draft, but I've been surprised how good he has been as a rookie. Long term his ceiling may well be greater than Simmons who benefits from a high usage rate and who is not an outside shooter and has a poor FT%. Usually not a good sign for future improvement. Tatum's way ahead of the other true rookies out of a good class otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:24:31 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Saw that in this story:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/post-113017-tatum-cool-calm-collected-crunch-time?sf174937382=1

This is the guy I wanted in the draft, but I've been surprised how good he has been as a rookie. Long term his ceiling may well be greater than Simmons who benefits from a high usage rate and who is not an outside shooter and has a poor FT%. Usually not a good sign for future improvement. Tatum's way ahead of the other true rookies out of a good class otherwise.
Its possible he ends up better than Simmons, but Simmons is special. Wouldnt count on Tatum being better.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 06:12:26 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Very impressed with Tatum's poise during the 4th quarter.  He plays to his strengths and rarely tries to do too much.  Opportunistic is the first word that comes to mind.  Such a rare trait for a 19 year old rookie. 

As for Ben Simmons, there really isn't a comparison between him and Tatum.  Simmons is a more dynamic talent but Tatum has the chance to become an elite scorer at super high efficiency.  Tatum also has the early edge as a defender and clutch shot maker. 

The two of them are like comparing Durant and LeBron but a poor man's version of both.  I don't want people to think I am placing those ceilings on either player, but Simmons has more upside if he ever develops a consistent shot.  Fortunately there's not much evidence to suggest that it will ever happen.  Simmons will probably end up being a player than can do more with less, while Tatum becomes increasingly more valuable when paired with other great players. 

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is clearly, not your average rookie.   I wanted Jackson but boy was I wrong.   I know I was during preseason.   Tatum is a bonafide stud on the court.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 06:25:47 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Saw that in this story:

Its possible he ends up better than Simmons, but Simmons is special. Wouldnt count on Tatum being better.

People are eventually going to give him the Rondo treatment.  We will see how he responds.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:53:28 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Yet another Paul Pierce similarity

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:56:44 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Saw that in this story:

People are eventually going to give him the Rondo treatment.  We will see how he responds.
Not sure that will work with Simmons. Giving a free running start to a 6'10'' freight train seems like a bad idea.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
A comparison between Simmons and Rondo has to be unprecedented. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:14 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Very impressed with Tatum's poise during the 4th quarter.  He plays to his strengths and rarely tries to do too much.  Opportunistic is the first word that comes to mind.  Such a rare trait for a 19 year old rookie. 

As for Ben Simmons, there really isn't a comparison between him and Tatum.  Simmons is a more dynamic talent but Tatum has the chance to become an elite scorer at super high efficiency.  Tatum also has the early edge as a defender and clutch shot maker. 

The two of them are like comparing Durant and LeBron but a poor man's version of both.  I don't want people to think I am placing those ceilings on either player, but Simmons has more upside if he ever develops a consistent shot.  Fortunately there's not much evidence to suggest that it will ever happen.  Simmons will probably end up being a player than can do more with less, while Tatum becomes increasingly more valuable when paired with other great players.

Simmons is special.  He's a more dynamic Evan Turner.  Can do it all except shoot.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Saw that in this story:

Not sure that will work with Simmons. Giving a free running start to a 6'10'' freight train seems like a bad idea.
Most teams have been backing off of Simmons and it has worked poorly.  Simmons even made a comment about it.  Crowder actually played him tight and it worked better.  At this point being a rookie and newbie PG, I think controlled, aggressive defense is the best approach.   

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 08:22:03 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Fultz who??

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
No it isn't.  I've posted a few times that Simmons floor is a 6'10" 240 Rondo.  Which is basically a poor man's Magic.   

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fultz who??
found this gem on the Sixers forum:

“Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.”

Lol a 19 year old apparently reached their ceiling. Something tells me they’re coping with the trade

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No it isn't.  I've posted a few times that Simmons floor is a 6'10" 240 Rondo.  Which is basically a poor man's Magic.   

Yeah, I was saying something similar well ahead of the 2016 draft, as reason why I did and still would take Simmons #1.  6’10 Rondo sounded amazing, and Simmons is delivering.