Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure: Cavs fans crying over Nets pick  (Read 19766 times)

Re: Guilty Pleasure: Cavs fans crying over Nets pick
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There's a long way to go in the season. Brooklyn is a bottom-3 team.

Mike

On what basis? It sure isn't on any statistics, point differentials or the standings? Just kind of trolling?
Bulls, Hawks, Kings, Suns and Mavs will all probably be worse. They're a long way from a bottom-3 team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
If the pick is anywhere in the lottery, history shows that Cleveland will get the first pick.

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
"[dang] its over,,,I'm making my prediction on the pick,,,it falls between 7 and 10."

This is my prediction since the season started just based on their roster. Teams like ATL, Chicago, Dallas, PHX, and Sacramento are just worse and poorly run.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 11:12:27 AM »

Offline Real World

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Considering that Kyrie demanded a trade, I thought the Cavs got a terrific deal.  They got a rotation player/starter in Crowder on a bargain contract, an allstar guard (albeit an injured one) in Isaiah, a young big who many on this board thought would have been a lotto pick in this past draft with Zizic, and what will be a top 1-8 lottery pick.  Oh, and they got a decent 2nd rounder tossed in too. 

Usually in the NBA when you trade a disgruntled player that has demanded a trade you get crap in return.  Or certainly, you get 50 to 75 cents on the dollar.  I think the Cavs did very well.  Key will be what Isaiah looks like when he comes back.   If he's himself, he's going to really make that team tough to handle. 

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2017, 03:12:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Gotta love this one:

"Ainge strikes again. I know it was reported the celtics wouldnt do it, but we should have held out of IT+Tatum or nothing. Would have rather sent him to Denver or the Suns.
Creating our biggest obstacle in the East wasnt worth the 10th pick in the draft+diet Demarre Caroll and rolling the dice on ITs hip.

Love the way the cavs have been playing without Kyrie, but as David Griffin said, history will not view this trade kindly for the Cavs."

Diet Demarre Carroll Lol

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2017, 03:30:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Considering that Kyrie demanded a trade, I thought the Cavs got a terrific deal.  They got a rotation player/starter in Crowder on a bargain contract, an allstar guard (albeit an injured one) in Isaiah, a young big who many on this board thought would have been a lotto pick in this past draft with Zizic, and what will be a top 1-8 lottery pick.  Oh, and they got a decent 2nd rounder tossed in too. 

Usually in the NBA when you trade a disgruntled player that has demanded a trade you get crap in return.  Or certainly, you get 50 to 75 cents on the dollar.  I think the Cavs did very well.  Key will be what Isaiah looks like when he comes back.   If he's himself, he's going to really make that team tough to handle.

I think the Cavs did very well too considering their situation.  But didn't the Celtics did well also?  We have Kyrie playing better than anyone expected and appearing to be the anchor of our team for years to come.  I think both teams did well.

When IT gets up to speed for CLE, they may be the best team in the league.  They have won 12 in a row without him and they will add an elite player to the mix at a position of real need.  They have been starting Jose Calderon at PG.  Plus they can trade the BKN pick if they want to for more reinforcements.

CLE is set but I would not reverse the trade.  I like where the Celtics are with Kyrie and we still get to add in Hayward.  CLE may win the title and then blow up with IT and LeBron leaving.

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think the Cavs did very well too considering their situation.  But didn't the Celtics did well also?  We have Kyrie playing better than anyone expected and appearing to be the anchor of our team for years to come.  I think both teams did well.

When IT gets up to speed for CLE, they may be the best team in the league.  They have won 12 in a row without him and they will add an elite player to the mix at a position of real need.  They have been starting Jose Calderon at PG.  Plus they can trade the BKN pick if they want to for more reinforcements.

CLE is set but I would not reverse the trade.  I like where the Celtics are with Kyrie and we still get to add in Hayward.  CLE may win the title and then blow up with IT and LeBron leaving.
I pretty much agree with everything that Real World and Vermont Green said.  However, I don't think IT makes them the best team in the league.  That will pretty much always be GSW for the time being.  Integrating IT is going to take some time.  He is best when he has the ball in his hands.  Changing up what LeBron has around him has always taken time.  Look at the first 1/4 of the season when he went to Miami, or this season.

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
#Nets have played ONE game this season decided by 15 points or more. Competitive basketball on a nightly basis.

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
#Nets have played ONE game this season decided by 15 points or more. Competitive basketball on a nightly basis.
i'm lovin' it

#lemmegetaMcpick2
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 04:50:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I pretty much agree with everything that Real World and Vermont Green said.  However, I don't think IT makes them the best team in the league.  That will pretty much always be GSW for the time being.  Integrating IT is going to take some time.  He is best when he has the ball in his hands.  Changing up what LeBron has around him has always taken time.  Look at the first 1/4 of the season when he went to Miami, or this season.

I am a bit surprised that IT is viewed as really helping the Cavs. Do people realize the Cavs lead the eastern conference in scoring per game (111 points per game). The reason they have lost some games is because of their defense. It is the worst of all teams currently holding a playoff spot in the east at 108 per game allowed. So adding in the worst defensive guard to a team that currently has no back line defenders other than Lebron (who gets gassed exerting all his energy on defense and takes plays off) is going to make them better? Maybe IT helps them score a few more points a game, but even the Warriors only score 114. To me, especially for playoff basketball they need to focus on decreasing their points allowed, not improving their elite offense. 

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2017, 04:54:08 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Nothing you say is wrong, GSW is the top dog until they aren't and IT does have to get back on the court and prove he still has it and that he can make it work with LeBron and the rest his new team.

His health is a big question of course and I have no idea but somehow I believe that he will be fine.  He just seems like that kind of player who will defy whatever odds and excel.  In terms of integrating with the Cavs, I don't think either LeBron or Isaiah NEED to have the ball in their hands.  I predict that at crunch time, LeBron will take over but he is a willing passer and if IT is open for a big shot, he can hit them.  IT gives the Cavs the flexibility to hand it over to IT for stretches to take some load off LeBron which I don't think will hurt anyone's feelings and will be a benefit.

Yes, there are some big "Ifs" for CLE but I see them giving the GSW a real run for it this year.  They have added IT, Wade, and Crowder in place of Kyrie.  For a one year run at it, I think they are better than last year, they have added real depth and they weren't really using Kyrie to his full potential (I think IT will fit better and can replace most if not all of Kyrie's production and big shot making).  I hope it goes well for IT.

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
not you per se, but everyone in this thread makes it seem like they were always on board with the trade, which just wasn't the case.  Most of this board was very upset when the trade was made, calling for Danny's head, saying we traded a top 3 pick for a lesser player and giving up a starter, etc.

Very revisionist history. Most of this board was absolutely on board with it.

I, on the other hand, was not though I never once called for Danny's head (and I don't remember anyone doing so). I said we swapped IT for a younger version of IT and threw in a likely top 5 pick, Zizic and one of the better contracts in the NBA to boot.

Of course, we had no idea that IT wouldn't be playing in November or even December. The Nets are exceeding expectation and I doubt anyone expected that Demarre Carroll would be averaging a career high in points. No one expected Jae Crowder to TS% to drop 80 points and his scoring to go down 5ppg. Few anticipated that Kyrie would be playing defense (though he's slipped considerably in recent games). Zizic, who many experts around the nation predicted would have been a later lottery pick, has a whopping 32 total minutes played.

On this trade, everything is coming up Millhouse for Danny. Even he couldn't have predicted this. I expect the pendulum to swing back the other way at some point. But at this stage there's nothing for me to say but I was wrong. The trade looks brilliant because of all of these unforeseen (or highly unlikely) events.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
not you per se, but everyone in this thread makes it seem like they were always on board with the trade, which just wasn't the case.  Most of this board was very upset when the trade was made, calling for Danny's head, saying we traded a top 3 pick for a lesser player and giving up a starter, etc.

I, on the other hand, was not though I never once called for Danny's head (and I don't remember anyone doing so). I said we swapped IT for a younger version of IT and threw in a likely top 5 pick, Zizic and one of the better contracts in the NBA to boot.

Of course, we had no idea that IT wouldn't be playing in November or even December. The Nets are exceeding expectation and I doubt anyone expected that Demarre Carroll would be averaging a career high in points. No one expected Jae Crowder to TS% to drop 80 points and his scoring to go down 5ppg. Few anticipated that Kyrie would be playing defense (though he's slipped considerably in recent games). Zizic, who many experts around the nation predicted would have been a later lottery pick, has a whopping 32 total minutes played.

On this trade, everything is coming up Millhouse for Danny. Even he couldn't have predicted this. I expect the pendulum to swing back the other way at some point. But at this stage there's nothing for me to say but I was wrong. The trade looks brilliant because of all of these unforeseen (or highly unlikely) events.

Yeah, wasn't there a thread with a poll where the majority of the board was actually on board with the trade or at least okay with it? I remember CBers discussing how the poll results were surprising given how vocal the fans that disliked the trade were.

Gotta love this one:

"Ainge strikes again. I know it was reported the celtics wouldnt do it, but we should have held out of IT+Tatum or nothing. Would have rather sent him to Denver or the Suns.
Creating our biggest obstacle in the East wasnt worth the 10th pick in the draft+diet Demarre Caroll and rolling the dice on ITs hip.

Love the way the cavs have been playing without Kyrie, but as David Griffin said, history will not view this trade kindly for the Cavs."

Diet Demarre Carroll Lol

Diet Demarre Carroll... oh my.  :o :P

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I could care less how IT or Crowder or Zizic or the draft pick comes out - I am perfectly happy with Kyrie Irving.  I'd do that trade every day until the end of time.

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 06:08:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Granath I looked this up and you are correct. Moranis' memory on this is not accurate from the poll I could find.

66% of the board gave it an A or a B as an initial reaction. Only 11% gave it a D or an F.

As mentioned earlier I was very against the trade initially myself. However, I have basically 180'd.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=93180.0