Author Topic: Lebron's next team  (Read 3135 times)

Re: Lebron's next team
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Making money is primary objective.  Price to buy a NBA franchise has risen dramatic.   Lebron rich as he is , maybe losing ground in this quest.

LA offers him the opportunity to earn the most TV, endorsements.   business opportunity.......money and contact ps he ll need to forfill the dream. 

If he leaves.  the money he can earn over pure basketball contract in Cleveland will be the deciding factor.   lebron is losing money he could be earning in LA ....

He brought a championship to Cavs .   

I think ,  if he leaves its mostly business and TV money that will lead him out of Cleveland.

landing LA is his BIG payday.      My speculation. ......If Cleveland is not winning another championship , why stay give up millions that could be had in LA ....win or lose.

I've never thought of this before and maybe you are correct in that making the MOST money is more important to him than championships because then he could own a team someday.  Hmmmmm.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 07:00:47 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
He's staying in Cleveland..only team to compete in East is Boston...plus he does have Love, Thompson, etc..Thomas may resign with them
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 09:08:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think he'd go there or that they could reasonably make room, but Milwaukee would be a very interesting team.  Imagine him and Giannis together.  They would be unguardable.

I really think everyone is putting too much emphasis on cap space. If we contracted out Saltlover I am sure he could find a way that at least 25 teams in the league could clear out capspace for Lebron if they needed to. Middleton is on a really reasonable contract that will probably becoming an expiring deal (He has a player option). Do you think they couldn't trade him at the trade deadline for an expiring deal quite easily? Telatovic and Snell represent 20 million in expiring next year. Attaching a first round pick to those guys (or thon maker) doesn't mean a team with space would bite? Couldn't Parker be moved pretty easily for an expiring? Heck shouldn't the Cavs trade Frye for Delladova right now?
Assuming Lebron wants 35% Max and there isn't an unexpectedly large jump in the cap, there's no way 25 teams can clear out that much cap space.  Teams could try to workout a sign and trade with the Cavs but they better have some serious assets to give up.  One question is the type of contact Lebron will want.  Can you even do a sign and trade with a 1+1?

Teams really have creative ways to clear cap space whether it is attaching first round picks or cheap young talent. Why couldn't the overwelming majority of teams in the league just attach their young players to bigger contracts and trade them to the 76ers or some other team under the cap? I don't feel like spending a ton of time researching this cause it is basically common sense. But say the suns are over the cap why can't they trade Booker and Chandler and perhaps other salary to the 76ers for a first round pick? Booker would be a dream fit there, why wouldn't they want him? They could either keep those guys as vets or just wave them. Sure not all these deals will make sense but it is obviously extremely possible.
There aren't that many teams that are under the cap enough to take on anything more than 10 million or so.  You're right the Sixers are one of those teams, and they'd probably do that trade, but would the Suns really give up 15 years of Booker for 3 of James.  They might, they might not.  Now maybe the Sixers would take Chandler, Warren, and Bender (or something like that) for a 1st.  Of course why would James go to the Suns, when the Sixers themselves are a much better option.  They not only have better young players but also don't have to trade anyone to fit 35 million into their cap space next summer (except maybe Bayless depending on what type of draft picks they get this summer).  They could even potentially keep Redick depending on what type of contract he signs for (especially if they dump Bayless).

This team is clearly the best team in the East, and may very well be the favorite in all of basketball (without even adding a top ten pick from the Lakers)

PG - Fultz, McConnell
SG - Redick, Anderson, Korkmaz
SF - James, Covington, Luwawu-Cabarrot
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

Now obviously Simmons and James playing together would be an interesting fit and might be a total disaster, but somehow I think they would figure it out and be just fine in the long run.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 09:59:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't think he'd go there or that they could reasonably make room, but Milwaukee would be a very interesting team.  Imagine him and Giannis together.  They would be unguardable.

I really think everyone is putting too much emphasis on cap space. If we contracted out Saltlover I am sure he could find a way that at least 25 teams in the league could clear out capspace for Lebron if they needed to. Middleton is on a really reasonable contract that will probably becoming an expiring deal (He has a player option). Do you think they couldn't trade him at the trade deadline for an expiring deal quite easily? Telatovic and Snell represent 20 million in expiring next year. Attaching a first round pick to those guys (or thon maker) doesn't mean a team with space would bite? Couldn't Parker be moved pretty easily for an expiring? Heck shouldn't the Cavs trade Frye for Delladova right now?
Assuming Lebron wants 35% Max and there isn't an unexpectedly large jump in the cap, there's no way 25 teams can clear out that much cap space.  Teams could try to workout a sign and trade with the Cavs but they better have some serious assets to give up.  One question is the type of contact Lebron will want.  Can you even do a sign and trade with a 1+1?

Teams really have creative ways to clear cap space whether it is attaching first round picks or cheap young talent. Why couldn't the overwelming majority of teams in the league just attach their young players to bigger contracts and trade them to the 76ers or some other team under the cap? I don't feel like spending a ton of time researching this cause it is basically common sense. But say the suns are over the cap why can't they trade Booker and Chandler and perhaps other salary to the 76ers for a first round pick? Booker would be a dream fit there, why wouldn't they want him? They could either keep those guys as vets or just wave them. Sure not all these deals will make sense but it is obviously extremely possible.
There aren't that many teams that are under the cap enough to take on anything more than 10 million or so.  You're right the Sixers are one of those teams, and they'd probably do that trade, but would the Suns really give up 15 years of Booker for 3 of James.  They might, they might not.  Now maybe the Sixers would take Chandler, Warren, and Bender (or something like that) for a 1st.  Of course why would James go to the Suns, when the Sixers themselves are a much better option.  They not only have better young players but also don't have to trade anyone to fit 35 million into their cap space next summer (except maybe Bayless depending on what type of draft picks they get this summer).  They could even potentially keep Redick depending on what type of contract he signs for (especially if they dump Bayless).

This team is clearly the best team in the East, and may very well be the favorite in all of basketball (without even adding a top ten pick from the Lakers)

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

Now obviously Simmons and James playing together would be an interesting fit and might be a total disaster, but somehow I think they would figure it out and be just fine in the long run.

So you just completely pivoted to teams can't create cap space if they need to "they can but won't want to so he still goes to philly" lol. Come on man that was ridiculous

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

So you just completely pivoted to teams can't create cap space if they need to "they can but won't want to so he still goes to philly" lol. Come on man that was ridiculous
2 things, first, Phoenix is already below the cap and only has to basically drop Chandler to create cap room for a max contract.  Not the same thing as most teams.  Second, and more importantly, creating cap room is not the same thing as getting a max free agent to go there.  especially a max free agent that is Lebron James. 

A team like Milwaukee that is basically over the cap already next summer, creating 40 million in cap room is no where near as easy as a team like Phoenix just needing to drop 15 or so.  There are only like 10 teams that could reasonably create a max contract slot next summer (at least at this point, perhaps a few more create the room at the deadline).  Most teams would have to unload at least 20 million to do it, and it just isn't easy to unload that kind of room, especially when there are only like 4 or 5 teams that could absorb that kind of salary.  When you have to start involving multiple teams, it just gets even more complicated.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

2 things, first, Phoenix is already below the cap and only has to basically drop Chandler to create cap room for a max contract.  Not the same thing as most teams.  Second, and more importantly, creating cap room is not the same thing as getting a max free agent to go there.  especially a max free agent that is Lebron James. 

A team like Milwaukee that is basically over the cap already next summer, creating 40 million in cap room is no where near as easy as a team like Phoenix just needing to drop 15 or so.  There are only like 10 teams that could reasonably create a max contract slot next summer (at least at this point, perhaps a few more create the room at the deadline).  Most teams would have to unload at least 20 million to do it, and it just isn't easy to unload that kind of room, especially when there are only like 4 or 5 teams that could absorb that kind of salary.  When you have to start involving multiple teams, it just gets even more complicated.

If Lebron says "I love playing in Madison square garden and want to play there" you don't think the Knicks or whatever team he says this about figures out the cap situation? Sure they may have to make some uncomfortable trades, but there is no doubt in any persons mind that they could figure out a way to make it work. They can also do creative ways of strutting a contract with more money in the second year. The players really control the league now. If they want to go somewhere they will get there. I could sit here and digest your bucks situation and write out exactly how they would do it but it is a waste of my time because we both know Lebron was hell bent on playing with Giannis it would happen. I obviously get Philly would require less trades and may be more appealing for Lebron. But acting like these other teams couldn't get him over cap space if he really wanted to play there is silly.

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 10:37:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

If Lebron says "I love playing in Madison square garden and want to play there" you don't think the Knicks or whatever team he says this about figures out the cap situation? Sure they may have to make some uncomfortable trades, but there is no doubt in any persons mind that they could figure out a way to make it work. They can also do creative ways of strutting a contract with more money in the second year. The players really control the league now. If they want to go somewhere they will get there. I could sit here and digest your bucks situation and write out exactly how they would do it but it is a waste of my time because we both know Lebron was hell bent on playing with Giannis it would happen. I obviously get Philly would require less trades and may be more appealing for Lebron. But acting like these other teams couldn't get him over cap space if he really wanted to play there is silly.
I'd honestly be interested to see how you could create nearly 40 million in cap space for the Bucks this summer and what the team left would look like.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 11:59:33 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

I'd honestly be interested to see how you could create nearly 40 million in cap space for the Bucks this summer and what the team left would look like.

I'm far from a salary cap expert but some starting moves to clear salary

Trade Delladova for Channing Frye. I think this trade actually makes sense for both teams because Cleveland definitely needs another defensive guard and bucks could use more shooting. This clears 9 million for next.

Trade Mira Telotovic and a first round pick to the Mavericks for a top 55 protected second round pick near deadline. It looks like the Mavericks currently have 12 million in cap space (if this is incorrect we can use a different team here. Telotovic becomes an expiring next year so he would not be an awful contract for Dallas to take for a pick that could be 18-20 range. This clears 10 million for next year.

Trade John Henson and Kris Middleton for Rudy Gay, Tony Parker and a first round pick. Middleton fits in perfectly next to Leonard and Aldridge while Henson gives them some badly needed depth and someone that could play alongside aldridge. Middleton is a player that is probably underrated but he is a 3 and d player, only 26 and his contract is very reasonable. This clears 23 million for next year. I would think the Spurs would not care about losing a late first rounder to get such a good piece.

Trade Tony Snell and 2020 first round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker This seems like the kind of Trade Brooklyn has been making the last few years to accumulate picks.

According to my math they now have taken 53 million off their 112 in salary commitments for next year.     

They build around a lineup of

Bledsoe
Giannis
Parker
Lebron
Thon Maker

Sign Wade for minimum
Sign Carmelo with mid-level exception.
Sign backup big with smaller exception
Sign a few other ring chasers a la David West....

Is that not a compelling team?

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

Trade Delladova for Channing Frye. I think this trade actually makes sense for both teams because Cleveland definitely needs another defensive guard and bucks could use more shooting. This clears 9 million for next.

Trade Mira Telotovic and a first round pick to the Mavericks for a top 55 protected second round pick near deadline. It looks like the Mavericks currently have 12 million in cap space (if this is incorrect we can use a different team here. Telotovic becomes an expiring next year so he would not be an awful contract for Dallas to take for a pick that could be 18-20 range. This clears 10 million for next year.

Trade John Henson and Kris Middleton for Rudy Gay, Tony Parker and a first round pick. Middleton fits in perfectly next to Leonard and Aldridge while Henson gives them some badly needed depth and someone that could play alongside aldridge. Middleton is a player that is probably underrated but he is a 3 and d player, only 26 and his contract is very reasonable. This clears 23 million for next year. I would think the Spurs would not care about losing a late first rounder to get such a good piece.

Trade Tony Snell and 2020 first round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker This seems like the kind of Trade Brooklyn has been making the last few years to accumulate picks.

According to my math they now have taken 53 million off their 112 in salary commitments for next year.     

Bledsoe
Giannis
Parker
Lebron
Thon Maker

Sign Wade for minimum

all of those moves are this year though, not in the summer.  Why would the Bucks tank their season this year, for remotely landing a player next summer?

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

Bledsoe
Giannis
Parker
Lebron
Thon Maker

Sign Wade for minimum

all of those moves are this year though, not in the summer.  Why would the Bucks tank their season this year, for remotely landing a player next summer?

I don't really think the Bucks are a contender this year and I don't think they do either. They could definitely make the Delladova trade now because it would probably actually help both teams this season. They could make the Teletovic Trade this offseason if you think he somehow really helps them this season.

The Snell trade also does not really hurt them this season because they probably need a big more than they need Snell. Maybe they take back Harris or Killpatrick to get some guard depth behind Brogdon and Bledsoe.

So then the only thing they really have to do this offseason is find a way to trade Middleton and Henson for either teams with caps, players with unguaranteed contracts or an opt out option they will exercise. Given that Middleton is a young 3 and d player on a very reasonable contract I don't think that will be impossible.

Having said all that, you gave me a scenario that you acted like was impossible and I came up with a very plausible way the Bucks could do it. I would gain some respect from you if you would give some credit on that and acknowledge that is certainly possible for teams that have messy cap situations to make moves like this. It would be very possible if Lebron made it known he really wanted to play with a certain player or in a certain city.

I predict that you will not because I can't say I have ever seen you do that in the 10 years I have been on the forum regardless of the content of the debate or who you are debating with.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 06:31:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

LeBron lacks the courage to go to a team that is not stacked.   He is a Phil Jackson of players meaning that if a team is not stacked he is not interested.   Phoenix even with Lebron would go nowhere.  He won't go there.

PG - Fultz, McConnell
PF - Simmons, Saric
C - Embiid, Holmes 

Fultz so far, has been a dud.   His shoulder is a lot more than muscle imbalance, I would assume they want to maintain his trade worth.  Embiid is fragile and not playing every game.   If everything works for them it is a great team but the odds are long that they will work for them.

He won't come here because of Kyrie and early in his career we stopped him multiple times from his destiny and forced him to leave CLE to go to MIA to try to build a superteam to compete with us.

I think he will stay east so he has an easy path to the finals.   Washington is my dark horse for him.   Teams may not have cap but most teams would deal for LeBron even though his best years are behind him.