Author Topic: Ingram looks like a star  (Read 4283 times)

Re: Ingram looks like a star
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 02:10:46 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Brown had a good game against the Warriors.
Its not about the numbers.  Brown had a great game against the warriors. His game is tough, scrappy, high flying, energy, etc.  And that's great.

But Ingram already has a complete offensive package.  He looks more like Kevin Durant than Kevin Durant.  Would not be surprised if he is an all star next year.  And every year after that.
aaaaaand you lost all credibility.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 02:15:37 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He played well tonight.
I like his offensive game, it's smooth and controlled like a late 20's Paul Pierce. He's below average defensively though.

His offensive game is more advanced than Jaylen's, but he came into the league with a far more advanced offensive game than Brown's too- and Jaylen has some catching up to do.

The improvements Jaylen has made on O are impressive as we've witnessed.

But defensively, Ingram doesn't hold a candlestick to Brown.

Brown's looking at being a perennial contender for DPOY and who knows how good his offensive game will be in 2 or 3 years time.

So yeah, Ingram looks like he could be a star on one end of the floor.
Brown looks like he could be a star on both ends. (To me).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 02:41:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Its not about the numbers.  Brown had a great game against the warriors. His game is tough, scrappy, high flying, energy, etc.  And that's great.

But Ingram already has a complete offensive package.  He looks more like Kevin Durant than Kevin Durant.  Would not be surprised if he is an all star next year.  And every year after that.
LOL
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 04:21:02 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Ingram is a nice young player but I'll take Brown any day of the week.  He is the better shooter and defender right now, and the more explosive athlete.

Ingrams impressive handle for his size, and his size in general are some nice tools that he has.  I don't know much about Ingram because I don't follow the Lakers but Brown definitely has the work ethic to continuously improve. Jaylen needs to improve his ball handling creativity and playmaking ability but he has flashed both of those traits especially in highschool where he was the #2 overall player and lead his basketball team to victory every night.

I believe that he will get better in these categories and eventually become a legitamate all-star in this league.   At 21 years old, he is already an above average starter and does many things well (shoot, especially off the catch, defend, rebound, move without the ball).  If you look at other top tier wings in the league such as Hayward, Jimmy Butler, and Kahwi Leonard, none of them were better than Jaylen Brown at age 21.  Not saying he will be as good as those guys but he certainly has the work ethic to do so.

Ingram I beleive has similar upside.  It's funny because many though the 2016 draft was a two-player draft (including myself).  In fact, I was devistated when I got the notification on my phone that we had gotten the #3 pick instead of #1 or #2.  But as soon as I learned we did have #3, Brown was my guy.  I'm glad it's worked out so far.

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Ingram is a nice young player but I'll take Brown any day of the week.  He is the better shooter and defender right now, and the more explosive athlete.

Ingrams impressive handle for his size, and his size in general are some nice tools that he has.  I don't know much about Ingram because I don't follow the Lakers but Brown definitely has the work ethic to continuously improve. Jaylen needs to improve his ball handling creativity and playmaking ability but he has flashed both of those traits especially in highschool where he was the #2 overall player and lead his basketball team to victory every night.

I believe that he will get better in these categories and eventually become a legitamate all-star in this league.   At 21 years old, he is already an above average starter and does many things well (shoot, especially off the catch, defend, rebound, move without the ball).  If you look at other top tier wings in the league such as Hayward, Jimmy Butler, and Kahwi Leonard, none of them were better than Jaylen Brown at age 21.  Not saying he will be as good as those guys but he certainly has the work ethic to do so.

Ingram I beleive has similar upside.  It's funny because many though the 2016 draft was a two-player draft (including myself).  In fact, I was devistated when I got the notification on my phone that we had gotten the #3 pick instead of #1 or #2.  But as soon as I learned we did have #3, Brown was my guy.  I'm glad it's worked out so far.
Ingram was my favorite in that draft.  Everything that I've read indicates that he is a gym rat.  Growing up in the same hometown, he's been mentored by Jerry Stackhouse for several years.  Really hate that he is on the Lakers. 

I really wanted the #2 pick.  In the few college games I saw of Brown, I wasn't particularly impressed.  However Brown or Murray were my preferred choices at #3.  Brown's quick development is a pleasant surprise.   

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 05:54:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like Ingram too but I think he is more of a Rashard Lewis level star (borderline All-Star) than an MVP caliber like Durant. Ingram has some moves but he lacks assertiveness. I am not sure that is going to change. Oftentimes it doesn't. Regularly fails to impact the game outside of his scoring. Not enough effort on defense or in using his size and length on the boards. Passing is fine but not special. This puts too much onus on his scoring and he is not aggressive enough as a scorer to make up for his so-so impact outside of scoring.

Still, I'd be very happy to have Ingram on my team. Good young player. Just more of a side piece than a franchise player.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 08:26:07 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

It's good that you decided that it's not about the numbers, because the numbers this year (and last) strongly favor Brown.

http://bkref.com/tiny/e21nm

Drilling down, Brown's a better shooter, especially past 10 feet, a better rebounder, has better steals and turnover stats and wins across the board on advanced stats. Ingram has superior assists and FT shooting.

According to ESPN's Real +/-, Brown is ranked 28th in the NBA vs Ingram's 392nd ranking. I'm not a fan of Real +/-, but that magnitude of difference is difficult to explain away, never mind spin into some type of superiority for Ingram.

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Where is the Cblog defense guard when you think Ingram is the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.....
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm just glad the Warriors pulled out the game last night.

As for the topic, Ingram's last 7 games have been very good on the whole.  He is getting to the line, he is crashing the boards, he is even passing better, to go along with better shooting on the whole.  There is a reason it was Simmons 1, Ingram 2, and then a bunch of players all that could have gone anywhere from 3-8.  Ingram clearly has talent, but he was very raw and very young and everyone knew it.  Remember, Ingram is almost a full year younger than Brown.  We can all see how much better Brown is this year then last year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Wasn't sure if you were talking about Jayson Tatum there or Ingram.

We have our own Durant-like player here who looks better in his first year than Ingram is looking in his second.

Tatum is already stronger, more aware and a far better defender...and 6 months younger.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He's a good player, but I'm still not convinced he is a star on a good team. Can you rely on him in 5 years to get you buckets in game 6 of a playoff series?

At best, he is the 3rd best player on a good playoff team. You need two creators in front of him so he can play off them. He is not strong enough or quick enough to create his own shots against good defenses.

I see a skinnier Harrison Barnes, or Nic Batum. Those are good players, but not stars on good teams.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
He sure did put up some gaudy numbers last night vs the best team in the league. I am sure we would have been happy with him or Brown in that draft. Both players will be formidable for years to come. If Ingram adds D to his game, he will be an all star for years to come. Brown is already on his way to doing that although he does have a better system and players to help him get there faster. I for one, would keep Brown at this moment but it would also not surprise me if Ingram has a better offensive career when all is said and done. Then again, if Lebron joins them next year, Ingram's shots will go down :) Also, as of now, in a playoff matchup, I feel much better about Brown stopping his man at the end of a game vs Ingram stopping his.

Lets be honest though, if Brown or Tatum put up Ingram's numbers from last night with almost upset on West Coast, we would be dancing in the streets! Seriously!! The Warriors had to keep their stars in the game a long time to pull out the win.

What I dont like is the Lakers playing the Warriors that tough. I still dont think our pick conveys minus an injury on the Lakers. There are still to many crappy teams going for that top spot in the draft.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He looks like he'll be a very good player in the league for a while. How he fills out and adds to his game will determine if he can become more than a 2 time all-star type.

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Brandon+Ingram&player_id1_select=Brandon+Ingram&player_id1=ingrabr01&y1=2018&player_id2_hint=Jaylen+Brown&player_id2_select=Jaylen+Brown&player_id2=brownja02&y2=2018

Here is the comparison between the two this year. Brown is the better outside shooter, rebounder, defender. Ingram is the better passer, shot blocker and free throw shooter(though still a bad free throw shooter).

They have almost identical PPG.

Brown is clearly the much better defender.

The more advanced stats pretty much favor Brown everywhere.

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Brandon+Ingram&player_id1_select=Brandon+Ingram&player_id1=ingrabr01&y1=2018&player_id2_hint=Jaylen+Brown&player_id2_select=Jaylen+Brown&player_id2=brownja02&y2=2018

Here is the comparison between the two this year. Brown is the better outside shooter, rebounder, defender. Ingram is the better passer, shot blocker and free throw shooter(though still a bad free throw shooter).

They have almost identical PPG.

Brown is clearly the much better defender.

The more advanced stats pretty much favor Brown everywhere.

I think it's super early to predict long term success. Both look solid and promising. I think their team's development will have a large impact on their personal development as well. For instance, Hayward going down in the first game opened the door for Brown's development. If Lebron comes to LA, I could see Ingram's playmaking development suffer. A lot of this development is based on circumstances.