Author Topic: Manning benched in New York  (Read 4956 times)

Re: Manning benched in New York
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Are you really benched if you take yourself out?  The Giants were going to scale back on Manning and get Smith and Webb (or whatever his name is) more work with some actual game action.  It was Manning who said, if you don't want me to play the whole game, I'd rather not start at all. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Are you really benched if you take yourself out?  The Giants were going to scale back on Manning and get Smith and Webb (or whatever his name is) more work with some actual game action.  It was Manning who said, if you don't want me to play the whole game, I'd rather not start at all.

So he can look like a 'stat padder' just to keep his streak alive? Also, can you give an example of a franchise splitting QB reps by half with a 13 year veteran and 2 time Super Bowl MVP? It's never been done, and it's a total disrespect for Eli.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 01:45:51 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
well he'll be on the bench the whole game

so he is "benched"

but it isn't a forced benching

but at least the giants can finally start a black quarterback. aren't they the last nfl team to do that?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Brady lost to a very good defensive team.

But still, screw the Helmet Catch and the Sideline Catch. I was also not having any of it with the Bobble Catch from Jermaine Kearse a couple Superbowls ago.

Glad two plays later the Patriots broke the Seahawks' hearts.
Let's not forget that the Edelman catch was probably as unlikely and miraculous a catch as the Helmet catch.

True, but I view the Edelman catch (and the Butler INT) as "makeup luck" the Pats deserved after being victimized by the Tyree and Manningham catches (and almost/sorta victimized again by the Kearse catch).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It seemed to me, like he was gonna just play the beginning of the game for the sake of keeping the streak alive.

Good on Eli for turning that down.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So he can look like a 'stat padder' just to keep his streak alive? Also, can you give an example of a franchise splitting QB reps by half with a 13 year veteran and 2 time Super Bowl MVP? It's never been done, and it's a total disrespect for Eli.
On a 2-9 team, I suspect it would happen a lot if teams were out of the playoffs.  Though, most all time great franchise QB's don't go 2-9 where this is even a discussion.  Bad teams bench starters all of the time to get a look at the backups and the Giants didn't even want to bench him, they just wanted to get some reps for the backups.  That is the only strange thing going on. 

BTW, Eli took the starting job from Kurt Warner who was 5-4 at the time.  Now granted he was in his first year in NY, but he had still won a Superbowl previously (and went to another).  Warner also was benched in St. Louis before they finally released him.  Warner was the starter in Arizona before a poor start got him benched for Matt Leinart because the Cardinals wanted to see what Leinart could do.

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

On a 2-9 team, I suspect it would happen a lot if teams were out of the playoffs.  Though, most all time great franchise QB's don't go 2-9 where this is even a discussion.  Bad teams bench starters all of the time to get a look at the backups and the Giants didn't even want to bench him, they just wanted to get some reps for the backups.  That is the only strange thing going on. 

BTW, Eli took the starting job from Kurt Warner who was 5-4 at the time.  Now granted he was in his first year in NY, but he had still won a Superbowl previously (and went to another).  Warner also was benched in St. Louis before they finally released him.  Warner was the starter in Arizona before a poor start got him benched for Matt Leinart because the Cardinals wanted to see what Leinart could do.

They are benching him to see Geno Smith?

No, this is a coach who has never been a fan of Eli (there is a history of quotes trying to blame Manning), about to lose his job, trying to prove that his failed offense will work with another QB.

If this was about the future, Webb would be starting.  Instead, he is not even active.

As for Warner, he was brought in Manning's rookie year as a mentor and placeholder until they felt Manning could go in. 

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

No, this is a coach who has never been a fan of Eli (there is a history of quotes trying to blame Manning), about to lose his job, trying to prove that his failed offense will work with another QB.

If this was about the future, Webb would be starting.  Instead, he is not even active.

As for Warner, he was brought in Manning's rookie year as a mentor and placeholder until they felt Manning could go in.
No they are benching him to determine if they can go into next year with Davis Webb and Geno Smith or if they need someone else on the roster.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

No they are benching him to determine if they can go into next year with Davis Webb and Geno Smith or if they need someone else on the roster.

Geno Smith is not the future QB of the Giants.   Any NFL GM or Coach that thinks Geno is their future needs to be fired.  There is more then enough tape on Geno at this point/   

And as for Webb, not even going to be active for the game. 

No, this is a coach looking for a scapegoat for his terrible offense of two years.  Just like they GM scapegoated TC two years ago. 

We have a coach and GM scrambling to save their jobs because both have not done well. 

And they told Manning, no matter how the game is going, they were going to pull him quickly.   They would just start him so he could continue his streak. 

And of course they do that because they know Manning was not going to take the cheap route towards keeping the streak and he would say no.

And they can say "We didn't bench him, he said he would rather sit then start the games."   

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I said they want to see if they can go into next year with Smith and Webb.  I didn't say it, but I meant Smith as the backup with Webb starting.  Webb is going to play this year and play a lot down the stretch.  I have to assume they just don't want 3 active QB's on the roster and aren't ready to deactivate Manning (or maybe they want to see if they can deactivate Manning and just have Smith as the backup).  If Smith flames out, then I expect next week you will see Webb starting with Manning as his backup.

I also have no doubt that the Coach and GM will both be fired this offseason as they've both been terrible this year, but the Giants really do have to figure out their QB position and they can't just do it off of practice.  They need to see game action from Webb and maybe even Smith (remember he hasn't played much since the broken jaw).