Author Topic: Enough with the freaking phones at the game  (Read 4205 times)

Re: Enough with the freaking phones at the game
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Same thing at concerts.  Half the people are watching through their phones even though they will never watch what they are recording again.  It's pretty annoying and also annoying to the artists who are performing.
the vast majority of artists do not care. They are performing because they are contractually obligated to so they can receive their check. Everyone can be drunk and sleeping for all they care. Why do some people care if others are using their phone at a concert? Like someone else said, it has no bearing on how you enjoy the concert. Seems like an Orwellian and controlling type of behavior to want everyone to do what you want

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I think you should join modern times

By modern times do you mean acting like a self-absorbed, inconsiderate, oblivious jackass?

Is that really the new standard for acceptable public behavior?
I was more commenting on the use of technology and poking fun at the old guy cracking on the young kids and their toys.  But, someone sitting in a seat and snapping photos, really has no bearing on you watching the game so I don't consider that inconsiderate or an oblivious jackass and it might not be self-absorbed at all.  To presume it is those things is frankly offensive.

Being unaware of your surroundings, to the point you can't even be bothered to look up when someone asks to get by you in the aisle is 100% oblivious and inconsiderate.

I pray I never have to sit next to someone like you next time I am at a game.

I don't think Moranis actually does this kind of stuff. I think he was just being contrarian and kind of ignoring what mef actually posted.

By the way at a larger scale there is starting to be push back on this kind of behavior where I have attended concerts and even wedding ceremonies were people ask people to put their phones down to be fully present for the event (they obviously had their own photographer to capture things). I thought it was amazing when they did it at the wedding. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:56:46 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

By modern times do you mean acting like a self-absorbed, inconsiderate, oblivious jackass?

Agree with your take on so called modernity.....TP.  Cell phones divide up what used to be shared space (public space).

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Same thing at concerts.  Half the people are watching through their phones even though they will never watch what they are recording again.  It's pretty annoying and also annoying to the artists who are performing.
the vast majority of artists do not care. They are performing because they are contractually obligated to so they can receive their check. Everyone can be drunk and sleeping for all they care. Why do some people care if others are using their phone at a concert? Like someone else said, it has no bearing on how you enjoy the concert. Seems like an Orwellian and controlling type of behavior to want everyone to do what you want
Its distracting.  And if you go to a concert with one of these people they are missing 3/4 of what you are seeing.  And yes, many artists dislike this.  They say it in interviews all the time.  Some like Tool go so far as to collect phones before the show and stop the concert if they see one.

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I was more commenting on the use of technology and poking fun at the old guy cracking on the young kids and their toys.  But, someone sitting in a seat and snapping photos, really has no bearing on you watching the game so I don't consider that inconsiderate or an oblivious jackass and it might not be self-absorbed at all.  To presume it is those things is frankly offensive.

Being unaware of your surroundings, to the point you can't even be bothered to look up when someone asks to get by you in the aisle is 100% oblivious and inconsiderate.

I don't think Moranis actually does this kind of stuff. I think he was just being contrarian and kind of ignoring what mef actually posted.

By the way at a larger scale there is starting to be push back on this kind of behavior where I have attended concerts and even wedding ceremonies were people ask people to put their phones down to be fully present for the event (they obviously had their own photographer to capture things). I thought it was amazing when they did it at the wedding.
I read what mef posted and he came off like the old guy shouting get off my lawn.  He said she didn't look up, not that she didn't move or make room for him.  If she was "instasnapping, photogramming, or whatever it is that those crazy millenials do these days" then he absolutely shouldn't care and that absolutely is not inconsiderate or oblivious.  And come on, we all have to say excuse me all the time when going through aisles whether someone is on the phone or not.  Heck people have to ask me to do it because I'm often looking the other way.   It certainly doesn't make me or anyone else an oblivious self-absorbed jackass. 

Mef just comes off like an old phuddy duddy complaining just to complain because he is old and isn't hip with the times.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Its distracting.  And if you go to a concert with one of these people they are missing 3/4 of what you are seeing.  And yes, many artists dislike this.  They say it in interviews all the time.  Some like Tool go so far as to collect phones before the show and stop the concert if they see one.

Yea I don't understand how people see how someone holding up a glowing object and blocking sight lines at a concert  "has no bearing on how you enjoy the concert." This is like saying it is raining has no bearing on whether you get wet.

Also whoever is saying artists don't dislike this must be living under a rock. A few recent examples

"Prince banned cameraphones at his South By Southwest performance even though it was an event sponsored by Samsung Galaxy where 200 tickets were given away to people who raced around Austin performing a scavenger hunt with their phones."

"Wilco now have a pre-recorded message that plays at the beginning of their sets explaining that although they’re happy for you to record bootleg audio of their concerts, sing along and shout requests in between songs as if they’re your personal iPod, you better keep that phone in your pocket unless you want to be kicked out by security,"

Yeah yeah yeahs: "“PLEASE DO NOT WATCH THE SHOW THROUGH A SCREEN ON YOUR SMART DEVICE/CAMERA.” So shouted the signs at a Yeah Yeah Yeahs show at Webster Hall in New York. “PUT THAT Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. AWAY as a courtesy to the person behind you and to Nick, Karen and Brian.”

Neko Case: “They were just holding their phones up and that made me sad,” she said. “But then there were some super die-hard fans that were singing along and that was really great. There were people who were there for the right reasons and then there were people there who were there because that’s where you go and all they were doing was filming it and taking pictures, which was really a drag. Because we were trying to see and people had their phones up so it was actually hard to see because it was like a sea of phones.” On the subject of people bringing iPads along to film concerts she added, “I would punch somebody’s iPad if I saw that.”

There are many many others examples of this (and this isn't exactly small time bands or special cases)

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 04:07:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Yea I don't understand how people see how someone holding up a glowing object and blocking sight lines at a concert  "has no bearing on how you enjoy the concert." This is like saying it is raining has no bearing on whether you get wet.

Also whoever is saying artists don't dislike this must be living under a rock. A few recent examples

"Prince banned cameraphones at his South By Southwest performance even though it was an event sponsored by Samsung Galaxy where 200 tickets were given away to people who raced around Austin performing a scavenger hunt with their phones."

"Wilco now have a pre-recorded message that plays at the beginning of their sets explaining that although they’re happy for you to record bootleg audio of their concerts, sing along and shout requests in between songs as if they’re your personal iPod, you better keep that phone in your pocket unless you want to be kicked out by security,"

Yeah yeah yeahs: "“PLEASE DO NOT WATCH THE SHOW THROUGH A SCREEN ON YOUR SMART DEVICE/CAMERA.” So shouted the signs at a Yeah Yeah Yeahs show at Webster Hall in New York. “PUT THAT **** AWAY as a courtesy to the person behind you and to Nick, Karen and Brian.”

Neko Case: “They were just holding their phones up and that made me sad,” she said. “But then there were some super die-hard fans that were singing along and that was really great. There were people who were there for the right reasons and then there were people there who were there because that’s where you go and all they were doing was filming it and taking pictures, which was really a drag. Because we were trying to see and people had their phones up so it was actually hard to see because it was like a sea of phones.” On the subject of people bringing iPads along to film concerts she added, “I would punch somebody’s iPad if I saw that.”

There are many many others examples of this (and this isn't exactly small time bands or special cases)
prince was an older “get off my lawn” type so who cares.
People have been holding up things at concerts forever. Ever been to a concert recently ? If you’re not behind a person piggybagging someone’s shoulders, at EDM concerts you’ll be behind people waving full sized country flags.

But I like how you claim it’s all about sight lines. Let’s be honest, you’re probably mad that other people are distracted by their phones and not enjoying the concert the same way you do. If it was about sight lines, you wouldn’t even go to a concert because virtually everyone holds up phones. It’s like going to a community swimming pool and being mad that everyone is swimming
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:33:01 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

no, no...those are eternal and have always existed.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I read what mef posted and he came off like the old guy shouting get off my lawn.  He said she didn't look up, not that she didn't move or make room for him.  If she was "instasnapping, photogramming, or whatever it is that those crazy millenials do these days" then he absolutely shouldn't care and that absolutely is not inconsiderate or oblivious.  And come on, we all have to say excuse me all the time when going through aisles whether someone is on the phone or not.  Heck people have to ask me to do it because I'm often looking the other way.   It certainly doesn't make me or anyone else an oblivious self-absorbed jackass. 

Mef just comes off like an old phuddy duddy complaining just to complain because he is old and isn't hip with the times.

I guess without knowing the full range of his experience it isn't possible to know how rude or inconsiderate the woman is. I don't think we need to insult mef or be ageist against either way. In general this is an issue that people run into every single day of the year whether it is people blocking doors on public transport because they are looking at their phones and not realizing it is a stop, people not moving at stop lights because they have decided to check their phone, people blocking sight lines at concerts and sports venues by holding their phone in the air (often times giving off artificial light in a dark area), people using their phones in movie theaters despite it being strictly forbidden etc etc. I highly doubt that if the woman was visibly using her phone for the entire game and streaming live video she was not being oblivious to her surroundings. They can measure for how long something distracts someone and how much it distracts their sense/reaction times (they do studies like this tied to car crashes for public health) and I can assure you filming a video with your image on the screen is a completely different kind of thing than your ridiculous comparison of "looking the other way."

I really don't understand why people are so willing to defend certain kinds of behavior related to cell phones. It is not an age thing about someone being old or about someone being a "fuddy duddy." Whether it is people literally killing other people with distracted driving (and if you don't understand how big a problem this is they now have actual simulations of it on many college campuses as a public health service announcement and education, think about that) or people just being flat out rude by emitting artificial light or blocking sight lines at a public event, emitting loud noises or music or holding their phone raised outstretched 7-8 feet in the air, it is bad and not some matter of "personal preference." If someone wants to discretely text from their lap or browse the web from their lap it really doesn't seem all that different from someone deciding to read a book. Sure it is kind of weird, but it certainly doesn't seem to be what most people are talking about here.

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Yeah yeah yeahs: "“PLEASE DO NOT WATCH THE SHOW THROUGH A SCREEN ON YOUR SMART DEVICE/CAMERA.” So shouted the signs at a Yeah Yeah Yeahs show at Webster Hall in New York. “PUT THAT **** AWAY as a courtesy to the person behind you and to Nick, Karen and Brian.”

prince was an older “get off my lawn” type so who cares.
People have been holding up things at concerts forever. Ever been to a concert recently ? If you’re not behind a person piggybagging someone’s shoulders, at EDM concerts you’ll be behind people waving full sized country flags.

But I like how you claim it’s all about sight lines. Let’s be honest, you’re oddly mad that other people are distracted by their phones and not enjoying the concert the same way you do. If it was about sight lines, you wouldn’t even go to a concert because virtually everyone holds up phones. It’s like going to a community swimming pool and being mad that everyone is swimming

What are you talking about? I said nothing about my own personal experiences at concerts. How in the world does that equate to me being oddly mad that other people are not enjoying the concert the same way I do. I gave examples of prominent artists saying they dislikes the cell phone stuff because someone said they didn't care. I think that is the least accurate someone has ever responded to what I posted on here...

Let's be honest, that was a pretty unfair and inaccurate response..

If you are curious for my actual experiences I mainly go to smaller local bands and there is less of this behavior so it isn't really a huge personal problem for me lately. I have been to a few concerts where the artist has asked people to keep their phones away because they find it distracting for themselves or to respect the other attendees.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:29:12 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 04:17:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
why do you assume she was streaming live video?  mef certainly didn't say that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 04:25:49 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
why do you assume she was streaming live video?  mef certainly didn't say that.

"I don't know what it was, but the camera was in selfie mode and she talked into it. I don't think she looked up, including when I said "excuse me" to try and get past her."

This is either livestreaming on Facebook, Instagram, or a really long snapchat.

BTW my job is completely social media so I am not against it by any stretch of the imagination, but there are also just a lot of basic decency and manners that get tied into this. I also have my MPH and have been involved in research projects tied to some of the negative impacts of this stuff... It is certainly a lot more complicated than people just being anti-technology or old.

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I find it stupid too but just ignore all the dumb kids these days. Honestly they should just become like the Borg and have their phones cybernetically attached. But if I took a girl to the game and she did stuff like that I’d never buy her another ticket. Unless she’s really, really hot.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I find it stupid too but just ignore all the dumb kids these days. Honestly they should just become like the Borg and have their phones cybernetically attached. But if I took a girl to the game and she did stuff like that I’d never buy her another ticket. Unless she’s really, really hot.

Lol. Hopefully you have chance to test that theory.

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Last night, I was sitting next to a couple who had paid significant bucks on the secondary market to buy tickets. They showed up after the first quarter had ended* and stayed for the rest of the game. The woman in the couple spent the entire game Instasnapping, Photogramming, or whatever it is that those crazy millennials do these days. I don't know what it was, but the camera was in selfie mode and she talked into it. I don't think she looked up, including when I said "excuse me" to try and get past her.

Oh god, this made me laugh so hard. It's like when my mom used to say PokéMans just to p--- me off.

I do this to my kids all the time!
ok fine