Author Topic: Enough with the freaking phones at the game  (Read 4207 times)

Enough with the freaking phones at the game
« on: November 28, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I should start this by saying that I'm on record as being of the belief that while some of what goes on at the games is silly (mugging for the Jumbotron, Lil Phunk, etc.), but that people should be able to do what they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on others. But enough is enough with the freaking phones. So consider this a service announcement to enhance some people's experiences at the game.

Last night, I was sitting next to a couple who had paid significant bucks on the secondary market to buy tickets. They showed up after the first quarter had ended* and stayed for the rest of the game. The woman in the couple spent the entire game Instasnapping, Photogramming, or whatever it is that those crazy millennials do these days. I don't know what it was, but the camera was in selfie mode and she talked into it. I don't think she looked up, including when I said "excuse me" to try and get past her.

Hey, if you want to pay a fortune and spend the entire game staring at your phone, more power to you, but I can think of a few ways that you could save a few hundred and do the same thing.

Mike

*By the way, every single game, somebody (different every game) tries to take those same two seats. They sit there until the people who are actually supposed to be in the seats show up, and then pretend like they had no clue that they are in the wrong section. It's fascinating to watch the dance.

Re: Enough with the freaking phones at the game
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:39:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I should start this by saying that I'm on record as being of the belief that while some of what goes on at the games is silly (mugging for the Jumbotron, Lil Phunk, etc.), but that people should be able to do what they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on others. But enough is enough with the freaking phones. So consider this a service announcement to enhance some people's experiences at the game.

Last night, I was sitting next to a couple who had paid significant bucks on the secondary market to buy tickets. They showed up after the first quarter had ended* and stayed for the rest of the game. The woman in the couple spent the entire game Instasnapping, Photogramming, or whatever it is that those crazy millennials do these days. I don't know what it was, but the camera was in selfie mode and she talked into it. I don't think she looked up, including when I said "excuse me" to try and get past her.

Hey, if you want to pay a fortune and spend the entire game staring at your phone, more power to you, but I can think of a few ways that you could save a few hundred and do the same thing.

Mike

*By the way, every single game, somebody (different every game) tries to take those same two seats. They sit there until the people who are actually supposed to be in the seats show up, and then pretend like they had no clue that they are in the wrong section. It's fascinating to watch the dance.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Let people get to watch games how they want to, like you yourself said they can. Just accept it and your stress levels at games will go way down.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think you should join modern times
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
Let people get to watch games how they want to, like you yourself said they can. Just accept it and your stress levels at games will go way down.

I agree. I just don't understand why someone would pay so much and not look up from their phone for the entire game.

As for my stress level, well, when Marcus Smart stops shooting (I know, he had a great night.)...

Mike

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I agree. I just don't understand why someone would pay so much and not look up from their phone for the entire game.

As for my stress level, well, when Marcus Smart stops shooting (I know, he had a great night.)...

Mike

Mef I do actually generally agree with you. It is pretty pointless for someone to Facetime the entire game and if it is getting to the point that you can't even politely get past them or interfering with your vision line that is totally reasonable to get annoyed with. I haven't seen a statistical analysis of it, but would be curious if there are more injuries at baseball games in the stands the last 2-3 years from people getting hit by baseballs from not paying attention.

There are also real dangers of people suffering injuries including even death from using their phones in appropriate ways. This includes everything from distracted driving (quickly being made a crime in many states), walking into crosswalks and getting hit by vehicles, selfie deaths etc (to say nothing of the proven correlation between certain kinds of social media use and depression mental health issues). These are all very real problems and are very fair to be disturbed by. It is very easy to tell you to just accept it, but I think that ignores a very large public health issues that is emerging...

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Trying to photos or videos during events like this one looks normal ... We all do it ... But if you think about you get photo but you miss the moment.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

By modern times do you mean acting like a self-absorbed, inconsiderate, oblivious jackass?

Is that really the new standard for acceptable public behavior?

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Mef I do actually generally agree with you. It is pretty pointless for someone to Facetime the entire game and if it is getting to the point that you can't even politely get past them or interfering with your vision line that is totally reasonable to get annoyed with. I haven't seen a statistical analysis of it, but would be curious if there are more injuries at baseball games in the stands the last 2-3 years from people getting hit by baseballs from not paying attention.

There are also real dangers of people suffering injuries including even death from using their phones in appropriate ways. This includes everything from distracted driving (quickly being made a crime in many states), walking into crosswalks and getting hit by vehicles, selfie deaths etc (to say nothing of the proven correlation between certain kinds of social media use and depression mental health issues). These are all very real problems and are very fair to be disturbed by. It is very easy to tell you to just accept it, but I think that ignores a very large public health issues that is emerging...

Agreed. My point was one of minor annoyance and doesn't really present a threat to anyone.

What you bring up is far more serious. I've thought about the baseball game thing a lot. It's unlikely that I'll get hit with a flying basketball, but it only takes a second to get hit with a foul ball. It's one of the things that keeps me focused on the game, but it's impossible to watch every single minute.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Same thing at concerts.  Half the people are watching through their phones even though they will never watch what they are recording again.  It's pretty annoying and also annoying to the artists who are performing.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

By modern times do you mean acting like a self-absorbed, inconsiderate, oblivious jackass?

I was more commenting on the use of technology and poking fun at the old guy cracking on the young kids and their toys.  But, someone sitting in a seat and snapping photos, really has no bearing on you watching the game so I don't consider that inconsiderate or an oblivious jackass and it might not be self-absorbed at all.  To presume it is those things is frankly offensive.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 02:28:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Mike

lol

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126

Oh god, this made me laugh so hard. It's like when my mom used to say PokéMans just to p--- me off.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I was more commenting on the use of technology and poking fun at the old guy cracking on the young kids and their toys.  But, someone sitting in a seat and snapping photos, really has no bearing on you watching the game so I don't consider that inconsiderate or an oblivious jackass and it might not be self-absorbed at all.  To presume it is those things is frankly offensive.

Being unaware of your surroundings, to the point you can't even be bothered to look up when someone asks to get by you in the aisle is 100% oblivious and inconsiderate.

I pray I never have to sit next to someone like you next time I am at a game.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

There is a pretty big difference between someone taking some photos and someone live streaming a video of them-self for the entire game to the point that they can't hear people around them trying to get by. How is it "frankly offensive" to call that person inconsiderate or self-absorbed. lol.