Author Topic: 2018 Draft is overrated  (Read 3968 times)

Re: 2018 Draft is overrated
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So what makes you think Ainge isn't enamored with the bigs in this class? Did you see a couple of games where the prospects didn't look good and decided that Ainge saw them too and made an instant decision he didn't like them? Making a definitive decision on a prospect is an in depth process that spans years of scouting. I seriously doubt Ainge, if he was high on this draft class, suddenly soured on it due to some bad games.

When asked about trading the Brooklyn pick, Ainge said “but it’s probably going to be a big man that’s 19 years old that probably needs a couple years to develop and could develop into a franchise player.”  I think one’s opinion about whether or not Ainge is enamored with bigs in this draft rests largely on how you think Ainge weights immediate impact with overall ceiling.  Given the status of the team and the near-term luxury tax issues, I personally don’t think Ainge would be enthused to invest a roster spot and $5-8 million a year for someone who isn’t going to be ready for multiple seasons.  Especially when he’s also said he believes that prospects need to see the court to get better.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:14:52 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 02:18:51 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
So what makes you think Ainge isn't enamored with the bigs in this class? Did you see a couple of games where the prospects didn't look good and decided that Ainge saw them too and made an instant decision he didn't like them? Making a definitive decision on a prospect is an in depth process that spans years of scouting. I seriously doubt Ainge, if he was high on this draft class, suddenly soured on it due to some bad games.

When asked about trading the Brooklyn pick, Ainge said “but it’s probably going to be a big man that’s 19 years old that probably needs a couple years to develop and could develop into a franchise player.”  I think one’s opinion about whether or not Ainge is enamored with bigs in this draft rest largely on how you think Ainge weights immediate impact with overall ceiling.  Given the status of the team and the near-term luxury tax issues, I personally don’t think Ainge would be enthused to invest a roster spot and $5-8 million a year for someone who isn’t going to be ready for multiple seasons.  Especially when he’s also said he believes that prospects need to see the court to get better.

So it would make sense to speculate that Brown last year and Tatum this season were chosen with the expectation of being near court  ready and that Brad shares his view? Guess I could put Marcus Smart in there as well because he saw plenty of court time his rookie season. Brad does give them plenty of court time we must admit so they are handling the learning curve.

We heard this being ready logic and description after drafting Ryan Gomes and Rick Fox too if memory serves. I would say this is at a different level though.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

When asked about trading the Brooklyn pick, Ainge said “but it’s probably going to be a big man that’s 19 years old that probably needs a couple years to develop and could develop into a franchise player.”  I think one’s opinion about whether or not Ainge is enamored with bigs in this draft rest largely on how you think Ainge weights immediate impact with overall ceiling.  Given the status of the team and the near-term luxury tax issues, I personally don’t think Ainge would be enthused to invest a roster spot and $5-8 million a year for someone who isn’t going to be ready for multiple seasons.  Especially when he’s also said he believes that prospects need to see the court to get better.

So it would make sense to speculate that Brown last year and Tatum this season were chosen with the expectation of being near court  ready and that Brad shares his view? Guess I could put Marcus Smart in there as well because he saw plenty of court time his rookie season. Brad does give them plenty of court time we must admit so they are handling the learning curve.

We heard this being ready logic and description after drafting Ryan Gomes and Rick Fox too if memory serves. I would say this is at a different level though.

Not quite sure what you’re trying to say, frankly.  Every team should consider how immediately a player can contribute when making selections, because the more able to contribute, the more likely you are to get value for the pick.  There are different times in a franchise’s cycle when they can weight ceiling and readiness differently.  If you’re not going to win, you can just force feed minutes.  But if Bamba, for example, isn’t NBA-ready because he’s rail-thin, do you cut Horford’s minutes just to make sure Bamba gets his minutes? No.  But you do so with Amir Johnson.

As for Stevens — I don’t think there’s a coach in the NBA who wouldn’t prefer more polished players.

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 02:43:56 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Our excitement about any given draft is inversely proportional to its proximity in time.

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Our excitement about any given draft is inversely proportional to its proximity in time and our draft position
fixed it for you

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:40 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Drafts are always overrated. since it became all 19 year old kids.

I will be perfectly happy taking the 2019 Sacramento lottery pick.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I’ve heard a few “experts” say that the 2019 draft looks like the weakest class in years.  I know it’s very early to say that, but I’m really hoping for the Lakers pick in 2018 in case that is true.  Even if you end up with someone like Bridges, I think he will an excellent pro.

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 02:58:30 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

To expand. Bagley and Ayton would be fantastic additions, Luka too except we don't need him at all with Hayward and Brown and Tatum. Porter would be nice as well if he comes out.

I disagree about Luka.  You could trade either of Smart or Rozier, and Doncic could settle into the backup 2/3 role.  In a few years Hayward will be in his 30s, and no guarantee he will be here.  If he is and Doncic, Brown, and Tatum are all stars someone could play the role of super 6th man like McHale and the great Celtics teams of the past.

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 03:32:32 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I’ve heard a few “experts” say that the 2019 draft looks like the weakest class in years.  I know it’s very early to say that, but I’m really hoping for the Lakers pick in 2018 in case that is true.  Even if you end up with someone like Bridges, I think he will an excellent pro.

We should hope to get the Lakers' pick, since the spot we'd be getting would be 2nd or 3rd (as long as there are 5 teams with a worse record, you can only jump to top 3 and 1st is protected).

That's at least as good as the best possible scenario for the Kings' pick because that one is also 1st protected (and could lead to a disastrous outcome of having to swap for the 76'ers' pick).

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Not quite sure what you’re trying to say, frankly.  Every team should consider how immediately a player can contribute when making selections, because the more able to contribute, the more likely you are to get value for the pick.  There are different times in a franchise’s cycle when they can weight ceiling and readiness differently.  If you’re not going to win, you can just force feed minutes.  But if Bamba, for example, isn’t NBA-ready because he’s rail-thin, do you cut Horford’s minutes just to make sure Bamba gets his minutes? No.  But you do so with Amir Johnson.

As for Stevens — I don’t think there’s a coach in the NBA who wouldn’t prefer more polished players.

I agree most teams would like to find court ready players in the draft. We are coming the closest IMO of doing it on a decent scale. My point is that I believe Danny and Brad are developing a process of finding certain types of players in the draft and getting recognizable contributions from them very quickly. Or they are very lucky lol.

The only other coach around who consistently gets near Immediate Contributions from newer players is Popovich. He always has seemed to get more from his supporting cast players than other coaches. Hence the comparisons of Brad to Pop in coaching styles.

Who else has for about 3 years running drafted players that are rotation level or starters while still being in playoff contention? I get why teams with chronic losing problems would start a talented draft pick, but teams that are annual playoff contenders usually do not. Unless they are the Spurs or Celts.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Firstly, I haven’t heard that.  Secondly, if 2019 is the first year high schooler seniors are allowed back in, which is possible, it could quickly become a very deep class, since you’d have two years worth of first-time eligible players.  2020’s draft would take a hit.

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 05:19:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

When asked about trading the Brooklyn pick, Ainge said “but it’s probably going to be a big man that’s 19 years old that probably needs a couple years to develop and could develop into a franchise player.”  I think one’s opinion about whether or not Ainge is enamored with bigs in this draft rests largely on how you think Ainge weights immediate impact with overall ceiling.  Given the status of the team and the near-term luxury tax issues, I personally don’t think Ainge would be enthused to invest a roster spot and $5-8 million a year for someone who isn’t going to be ready for multiple seasons.  Especially when he’s also said he believes that prospects need to see the court to get better.
So because Ainge gave a hypothetical about who the pick in 2018 could have been and what possibly it would take to develop them, we are to believe that Ainge would'twant to draft that player and develop them, especially if that player has franchise player potential?

Sorry, I am not buying that. If the Celtics get a top pick in this draft they are going to pick the player with what Danny believes is the most potential to be the bedt player picked at that position. And I think he wouldn't worry about the money.

Personally, I hope that player is Doncic, notbecause he isn't a big or because he is the most NBA ready, but because I think he will be the best player. Draft Doncic, let Smart go.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Firstly, I haven’t heard that.  Secondly, if 2019 is the first year high schooler seniors are allowed back in, which is possible, it could quickly become a very deep class, since you’d have two years worth of first-time eligible players.  2020’s draft would take a hit.
tp. 2019 could become very deep. The Memphis pick could suddenly be all sorts of valuable if age limit is lowered

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

To expand. Bagley and Ayton would be fantastic additions, Luka too except we don't need him at all with Hayward and Brown and Tatum. Porter would be nice as well if he comes out.

I disagree about Luka.  You could trade either of Smart or Rozier, and Doncic could settle into the backup 2/3 role.  In a few years Hayward will be in his 30s, and no guarantee he will be here.  If he is and Doncic, Brown, and Tatum are all stars someone could play the role of super 6th man like McHale and the great Celtics teams of the past.

I mean in general your right. You add top talent and you win. I was shocked they still have to Luka above Bagley still on ESPN. I strongly disagree with that, but it gives you an idea of Lukas Talent.

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 05:56:55 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Still an amazing looking draft. Ayton and Bagley are beasts, Bamba is averaging 4 blocks a game, Doncic is playing amazing in Europe. Porter is a big question mark, but guys like Williams and Bridges are looking strong.

IMO, best draft in years. If the LAL pick comes to us this year, we're going to get a superb prospect.