Author Topic: 2018 Draft is overrated  (Read 3969 times)

2018 Draft is overrated
« on: November 28, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It's early, but the supposedly strong "big man" Draft doesn't excite Ainge and Brad Imo. Now Porter JR is out for the season, Bamba has a Loooooong way to go. Ayton and Bagley do look like great additions to any team.

Starting to think Ainge would actually prefer the Kings pick in 2019. This Draft is no where near what this past years Draft was.

Re: 2018 Draft is overrated
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

It's early, but the supposedly strong "big man" Draft doesn't excite Ainge and Brad Imo. Now Porter JR is out for the season, Bamba has a Loooooong way to go. Ayton and Bagley do look like great additions to any team.

Starting to think Ainge would actually prefer the Kings pick in 2019. This Draft is no where near what this past years Draft was.
just curious, but do you have link to something stating this?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Yes. The link is here. That's why I followed it with IMO LoL.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 01:35:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The common draft overrated/underrated pattern.

When a possible draft class is in high school, always overrated. 

When a possible draft class gets to college, almost always suddenly underrated. 

Something about guys moving up in class. 

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Well, it'll be tough for it to surpass this year's rookie class, but it still has upper talent.

Mamba's physical tools are absolutely elite. Porter Jr. may still come out this year. Doncic looks special, although I don't rate him quite as highly as some.

Obviously Ayton and Bagley look like elite prospects.

Guys like Robert Williams and Miles Bridges look pretty good as well. Kevin Knox is flying under the radar. And then there are a whole host of guys with special potential that need to show consistency this year like Walker, Bonga, Sexton, Wilkes, Trier, Wagner, Metu, McCoy, Allen, etc.

Again, its probably not as high as last year, but few are. There are special talents in this draft class that will be all-stars/cornerstone type pieces.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
We need bigs. The 2018 draft has lots of bigs near the top. The 2019 has few bigs near the top. Obviously, it's too early to tell, but I'll miss that 2018 pick.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Does this happen almost ever year?  Draft class hyped up then after a few games some guys don't live up to expectations.

I agree that a big man would help but I don't think that we get one in the draft anyway.  If we add a big in the near future it will in a trade to compete now, not a few years from now.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 06:24:50 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

To expand. Bagley and Ayton would be fantastic additions, Luka too except we don't need him at all with Hayward and Brown and Tatum. Porter would be nice as well if he comes out.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 06:34:10 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This draft is probably overrated, but it does have what I think we need, big men.  Even guys outside the top five would fit our team well.  Jaren Jackson and Robert Willians would fit well on our team.  I don't think there are many big men in the 2019 draft.  I wish we were getting the Lakers pick regardless of where it falls.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:42:04 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I know that Kyler has been saying it's overrated. I've yet to hear what Givony or Ford have to say. It's extremely unlikely to be as good as this years class in any case.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think up top its just as strong as the 2017 draft if not slightly stronger.  Here is how I would rank both classes as prospects (it is very hard to do because I'm trying to base this off of my opinion of these players before the 2017 draft took place):

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Markelle Fultz
3. Marvin Bagley
4. Michael Porter Jr.
5. Jayson Tatum
6. Luka Doncic
7. Mo Bamba
8. Lonzo Ball
9. De'arron Fox
10. Josh Jackson

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:15:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
the supposedly strong "big man" Draft doesn't excite Ainge and Brad Imo.

Luka too except we don't need him at all with Hayward and Brown and Tatum.

So since we don't need a PG either then I guess we'll be trading away our pick(s).
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 07:39:00 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So what makes you think Ainge isn't enamored with the bigs in this class? Did you see a couple of games where the prospects didn't look good and decided that Ainge saw them too and made an instant decision he didn't like them? Making a definitive decision on a prospect is an in depth process that spans years of scouting. I seriously doubt Ainge, if he was high on this draft class, suddenly soured on it due to some bad games.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 07:50:43 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
So what makes you think Ainge isn't enamored with the bigs in this class? Did you see a couple of games where the prospects didn't look good and decided that Ainge saw them too and made an instant decision he didn't like them? Making a definitive decision on a prospect is an in depth process that spans years of scouting. I seriously doubt Ainge, if he was high on this draft class, suddenly soured on it due to some bad games.

Bingo. Plus, neither Bagley or Ayton have looked bad so far anyways.  In fact, both of them have looked great. 

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think one trend we see with Ainge in recent drafts where we have had premium picks is high character guys. Not his only criteria to be sure but if talented and highly rated in basketball skills  but near equal to other players then look at character. You could say Tatum,  Brown,  Smart,  Rozier and probably Bradley have all fit this description to a great extent.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku