Author Topic: Lebron's "I Promise" School  (Read 4425 times)

Lebron's "I Promise" School
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So Lebron is starting a school and creating a docu-series about the first year.  Below are two articles on it, with some of my commentary thrown in.

The first article, is about the Akron School Board approving a public school that will be based on Lebron's foundation's existing I Promise Network programs, and will be geared for at risk youth (mostly kids that show some promise, but are falling behind for various reasons).  The school will still have 172 days, but will have longer days with more focused breaks throughout the day and more breaks throughout the year (it will start 20 days earlier than other schools to curb "summerslide"), with the intent of keeping kids at school longer, providing unique learning methods, and thus helping the at risk children not fall behind (or out entirely).  It is set to open next year with 120 third and fourth graders, and they plan to add 2 grades a year until 2022-23 when it will be a fully functional school for 1st through 8th grades. 

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/akron-school-board-approves-plans-for-lebron-jamess-i-promise-school

And here is the second article which outlines a docu-series on the school's first year.  I don't necessarily think it will be a bad thing, as the school is interesting and if it works could be a model for other school systems.  They also have Morgan Spurlock and his company connected to it (the Super Size Me documentary), but this could also just turn into a Lebron ego/love fest (which could hurt).

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/lebron-inspired-akron-school-to-be-subject-of-a-docu-series-filming-starts-soon
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Lebron's "I Promise" School
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:19:37 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So Lebron is starting a school and creating a docu-series about the first year.  Below are two articles on it, with some of my commentary thrown in.

The first article, is about the Akron School Board approving a public school that will be based on Lebron's foundation's existing I Promise Network programs, and will be geared for at risk youth (mostly kids that show some promise, but are falling behind for various reasons).  The school will still have 172 days, but will have longer days with more focused breaks throughout the day and more breaks throughout the year (it will start 20 days earlier than other schools to curb "summerslide"), with the intent of keeping kids at school longer, providing unique learning methods, and thus helping the at risk children not fall behind (or out entirely).  It is set to open next year with 120 third and fourth graders, and they plan to add 2 grades a year until 2022-23 when it will be a fully functional school for 1st through 8th grades. 

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/akron-school-board-approves-plans-for-lebron-jamess-i-promise-school

And here is the second article which outlines a docu-series on the school's first year.  I don't necessarily think it will be a bad thing, as the school is interesting and if it works could be a model for other school systems.  They also have Morgan Spurlock and his company connected to it (the Super Size Me documentary), but this could also just turn into a Lebron ego/love fest (which could hurt).

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/lebron-inspired-akron-school-to-be-subject-of-a-docu-series-filming-starts-soon

The whole thing - involving himself closely to educators he is funding - should be ringing loud alarm bells... It's like as if Mark Cuban was to lecture Rick Carlisle how to do his job, and then taking credit from Dirk when they win. A bad basketball analogy, but you get my point.

Not to mention that there are many that will say that he is just doing it to mitigate the Cleveland fury when he leaves at the end of the year..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:37:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Assuming it is all on the up and up and a good education I think it is great he is donating time and money to set up the school. The documentary part (especially because it is not being done 5 years down the line when the school has been proven and has worked out the kinks), seems like a really bad and misguided idea being done for the wrong reasons

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 06:04:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Assuming it is all on the up and up and a good education I think it is great he is donating time and money to set up the school. The documentary part (especially because it is not being done 5 years down the line when the school has been proven and has worked out the kinks), seems like a really bad and misguided idea being done for the wrong reasons
Could be. That said, I have no idea what it takes to open a school and would be interested in a series like this if it was done well.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 06:59:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Sounds like it's just a branding thing.  But, if he does take it seriously, he should encourage his pal Kyrie to enroll -- he should fit right in with elementary school students in terms of his (expressed) intelligence, egocentricity, and prepubescent physique. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Sounds like it's just a branding thing.  But, if he does take it seriously, he should encourage his pal Kyrie to enroll -- he should fit right in with elementary school students in terms of his (expressed) intelligence, egocentricity, and prepubescent physique.

What?

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What?

I think he's trying to say how awesome Kyrie is and how thankful he is to not have to have face him in the playoffs as a member of the Cavs, where he routinely abused IT.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

What?

I think he's trying to say how awesome Kyrie is and how thankful he is to not have to have face him in the playoffs as a member of the Cavs, where he routinely abused IT.

Exactly.  Abused him, with far less help around him.  Much easier without a guy like LeBron.  Kyrie has looked like **** several games this season (typically plays 2 qts/game), but I do agree with you that he's super marketable.

More specifically, I was trying to say that he's made of glass + cupcake mix and needs to stop talking.  I take it you're also a rabid WNBA fan?  Justin Bieber?  The three go hand-in-hand in my experience, Freddie.   

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

What?

Exactly.  Abused him, with far less help around him.  Much easier without a guy like LeBron.  Kyrie has looked like **** several games this season (typically plays 2 qts/game), but I do agree with you that he's super marketable.

More specifically, I was trying to say that he's made of glass + cupcake mix and needs to stop talking.  I take it you're also a rabid WNBA fan?  Justin Bieber?  The three go hand-in-hand in my experience, Freddie.   

well this went in a different direction than i expected.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:05:35 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

What?

well this went in a different direction than i expected.

Eh.  Eddie dropped a troll-bomb and then left.  But, the issue is far less controversial than he and others have expressed.  Some posters here have criticized the heck out of Celtic players, including Smart, Rozier, Crowder, etc. Long-time, well-respected posters that still had love for th eCelts.  This is no different.

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 08:19:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kyrie is not on topic here and bringing him into the discussion the way he was, to get a reaction,
is trolling. Consider this your first and only warning, tarheels

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 08:40:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The school is now 4 years in (they add a 3rd grade class every year, so it keeps getting bigger every year) and they have added transitional housing for families and have broken ground on a long term housing facility for families as well as a facility for events, job training, financial management planning, and other services for families. 

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/sports/pro/cavs/2021/11/01/los-angeles-lakers-lebron-james-uses-event-foster-interest-groundbreaking-i-promise-school-program/6211776001/

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 10:01:45 AM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Yeah anything to keep parents from having to be their children. Maybe no summers off, supply all three meals to kids. Set up beds for kids to sleep overnight at the school.

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Obviously the "I Promise" stuff is doing a lot, but I always hoped they would expand on this:

Eligible I Promise students can earn free, four-year college scholarships to the University of Akron or Kent State University.

Hope they could expand to all Ohio public universities. Also would be great if other people started their own versions, and maybe set up some sort of university-share.  Like Anthony Davis opens up a similar school in Chicago, which gets scholarship access to all Illinois public universities, and now students can choose between any Ohio or Illinois public school.

I only say that because I think it kind of stunts development a little if you go through elementary school, middle school, high school, and then college with the same cohort of people.  There's a tendency (IMO) to stay with the same friends your comfortable with, stay in your comfort zone, and not broaden your horizons as much as you might otherwise.  Help the kids spread their wings a little more.

Overall though, with the housing and everything, sounds like great stuff.  Maybe Akron can become the next Tangelo Park, where graduation rates skyrocketed and crime has practically disappeared.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class