Author Topic: Celtics need another big man  (Read 5926 times)

Re: Celtics need another big man
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2017, 10:33:48 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I woud love to take a flyer on Favors

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Any interest in Alex Len? He hasn't been playing much lately for Phoenix. Or, are we simply better off with Baynes and Theis? Or, wait for someone else who might become available?

I like Len. He is probably Phoenix' best big man but they rarely play him. He gets DNP-CD multiple times then they play him 30 minutes last night and he gets 18 pts and 13 rebounds. Scratching my head as to what they are thinking in Phoenix. They prefer to play the 65 year old Tyson Chandler usually.
Could be they are showcasing Chandler for trade purposes. And, quietly tanking “à la” Philly's, 'The Process'.

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Any interest in Alex Len? He hasn't been playing much lately for Phoenix. Or, are we simply better off with Baynes and Theis? Or, wait for someone else who might become available?

I like Len. He is probably Phoenix' best big man but they rarely play him. He gets DNP-CD multiple times then they play him 30 minutes last night and he gets 18 pts and 13 rebounds. Scratching my head as to what they are thinking in Phoenix. They prefer to play the 65 year old Tyson Chandler usually.
Could be they are showcasing Chandler for trade purposes. And, quietly tanking “à la” Philly's, 'The Process'.

By RPM Chandler has been average, while Len has been below average.  If they want to tank, playing Len might be a better option.  My guess is they are actually trying to win games, and so far they've been decent since they switched coaches.

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 12:08:03 PM »

Offline dysgenic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
At the trade deadline:

Marcus Morris
Aron Baynes
Clippers pick
2018 Celtics pick

for

Nikola Vucevic

Ya ok....cmon now

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
At the trade deadline:

Marcus Morris
Aron Baynes
Clippers pick
2018 Celtics pick

for

Nikola Vucevic

Ya ok....cmon now

I don't like that deal...too much for Vucevic...throw in Mario and we got a deal.

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:31 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Just remember with the TPE with 8.5 mill to match in trade. I know DA will not let us down. Tyson Chandler bought out is my pick at moment.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2017, 05:49:31 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
No Embiid tomorrow vs Celtics.

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Okafor?

He could score as a rookie and he is big.   Stevens has a knack for getting guys to play D.   This makes the most sense to me, but isn't he the fragile Embiid's backup?  That means that it maybe won't happen.

afaik no. The Sixers don't give him mins even when Embiid is out.

More generally about the thread, we are currently 2nd in total rebs, and 6th in reb differential. I disagree that what we need is a big.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Okafor?

He could score as a rookie and he is big.   Stevens has a knack for getting guys to play D.   This makes the most sense to me, but isn't he the fragile Embiid's backup?  That means that it maybe won't happen.

More generally about the thread, we are currently 2nd in total rebs, and 6th in reb differential. I disagree that what we need is a big.
Yeah, Amir and Richaun Holmes are ahead of him in the depth chart
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
What about trading for a player? Can the Celtics then flip him in another deal?

Short answer: Yes. Longer answer: Still yes, but time is kind of running out.

Remember in the last question when we said the Celtics could combine the DPE salary amount with Morris to bring in a player who makes over $18 million in a trade? The same is true if Boston acquires the player with the DPE via trade, but with one notable difference.

When a team uses an exception (of which the DPE counts) to acquire a player via trade, that player cannot be aggregated with other players in another deal for two months. It is more commonly said that you can’t trade a player you acquired in a previous trade with other players for two months if you were over the cap when you acquired the original player. That is a slight misstatement, but close enough for almost all practical purposes.

For the Celtics, that date is right around the corner. If they use the DPE to trade for a player, and want to use that player in a subsequent trade to stack salaries together, they need to get a move on. As stated above, the NBA Trade Deadline is 2/8/18 this year, about a week or two earlier than usual. That means Boston would have to complete the first trade, using the DPE, no later than 12/8/17, in order to be able to flip that player combined with other players.

What if Boston wanted to trade for a player with the DPE and trade him again by himself?

Not an issue. You can always turn around and trade a player by himself almost immediately. We saw the Celtics do this with guys like Jameer Nelson, Brandan Wright and Austin Rivers, when Ainge went on an epic trade spree in the 2014-15 season.

For a fuller picture, if Boston went this route, they could acquire a player using the DPE and then turn around and trade that player by himself the next day for a player making just over $13 million.
Diggles

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Okafor?

Especially one that can't guard the perimeter. 

We are thin in bigs, but Danny is right to be patient and work the room.

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
What about trading for a player? Can the Celtics then flip him in another deal?

Short answer: Yes. Longer answer: Still yes, but time is kind of running out.

Remember in the last question when we said the Celtics could combine the DPE salary amount with Morris to bring in a player who makes over $18 million in a trade? The same is true if Boston acquires the player with the DPE via trade, but with one notable difference.

When a team uses an exception (of which the DPE counts) to acquire a player via trade, that player cannot be aggregated with other players in another deal for two months. It is more commonly said that you can’t trade a player you acquired in a previous trade with other players for two months if you were over the cap when you acquired the original player. That is a slight misstatement, but close enough for almost all practical purposes.

For the Celtics, that date is right around the corner. If they use the DPE to trade for a player, and want to use that player in a subsequent trade to stack salaries together, they need to get a move on. As stated above, the NBA Trade Deadline is 2/8/18 this year, about a week or two earlier than usual. That means Boston would have to complete the first trade, using the DPE, no later than 12/8/17, in order to be able to flip that player combined with other players.

What if Boston wanted to trade for a player with the DPE and trade him again by himself?

Not an issue. You can always turn around and trade a player by himself almost immediately. We saw the Celtics do this with guys like Jameer Nelson, Brandan Wright and Austin Rivers, when Ainge went on an epic trade spree in the 2014-15 season.

For a fuller picture, if Boston went this route, they could acquire a player using the DPE and then turn around and trade that player by himself the next day for a player making just over $13 million.

Wow. If it is accurate, the Celtics could simply sign a salary filler by December with the whole DPE and trade for a player that makes between 80% and 60% of the actual max-salary by the trade deadline? This could be a history changing move as it could allow them to sign somebody like Paul George