Author Topic: Marcus Smart please keep shooting!  (Read 4457 times)

Re: Marcus Smart please keep shooting!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It is hard for me to look. Up this stat, so help please.

How many three point shots does smart take when the team wins, and when it loses?

A tp to the researcher.
5.5 in losses, 4.7 in wins.

4 game sample size for losses is more or less useless.

Last year it was 4.9 in losses and 3.9 in wins.

The year before: 3.8 in losses, 4.1 in wins.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 11:19:51 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Chris Forsberg just tweeted the Celtics' record when Marcus Smart shoots...

<=30%: 11-0
>30%: 5-4

So...

Lol. This perfectly illustrates the futility of small sample sizes.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 11:30:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Celtics record when Marcus Smart shoots:

<9 times: 7-0
9-12 times: 8-1
>12 times: 2-3

Celtics record when Smart scores:

<12: 12-1
>=12: 4-3

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Celtics record when I'm at the game: 1-2
Celtics record when I'm not at the game: 7-0

For a modest fee, I will promise not to go to any more games this year.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 12:05:43 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
the best part about this post is the number of people trying to figure out Smart's value to winning and losing. ???

pretty sure the coaching staff and front office does the same every night
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 12:24:32 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It is hard for me to look. Up this stat, so help please.

How many three point shots does smart take when the team wins, and when it loses?

A tp to the researcher.
5.5 in losses, 4.7 in wins.

4 game sample size for losses is more or less useless.

Last year it was 4.9 in losses and 3.9 in wins.

The year before: 3.8 in losses, 4.1 in wins.

So Marcus Smart should stop jacking up 3's unless he is wide open?  Brilliant.  Now if Marcus Smart would just read the memo on this forum! lol  :D

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 12:58:46 AM »

Online feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
6/9 from deep tonight and several big ones down the stretch. 

Keep letting em fly with confidence big fella! 
Passing up open looks = giving up, and that’s not how Marcus Smart approaches anything in life.

you do know we lost ?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 02:21:54 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Passing up open looks = giving up, and that’s not how Marcus Smart approaches anything in life.

you do know we lost ?
I hope you were consistent with this logic when he went 0-7 in a W against the Warriors.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I assume this is in humor lol. Doesn't matter if he's hitting his shot or not he's going to jack up shots he just can't stop himself.

CBS has to take the ball out of his hands. When he has the ball and there is under 8 seconds left in the shot clock you know this idiot is going to jack up the shot it's so frustrating to watch. I just want him gone!!

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

you do know we lost ?
I hope you were consistent with this logic when he went 0-7 in a W against the Warriors.

We do seem to do better as a team when he shoots poorly.  Averaging 13.5 points on 39% from the field and 41% from 3 in losses.  SSS warning.

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 10:36:44 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
He shoots a lot better when he is in rhythm. step and shoot or catch and shoot.  Standing and thinking hes at his worse. Stop thinking and just shoot.

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I think perhaps the W/L record is due to the fact that when Marcus shoots well everyone on the team is so surprised that they stand around gawking, leading to easy transition bucket for the opponents.

;D ;D ;D
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I assume this is in humor lol. Doesn't matter if he's hitting his shot or not he's going to jack up shots he just can't stop himself.

CBS has to take the ball out of his hands. When he has the ball and there is under 8 seconds left in the shot clock you know this idiot is going to jack up the shot it's so frustrating to watch. I just want him gone!!
you missed the posts in another thread to a link that shows the team and CBS encourage him to shoot. they disagree with your advice it seems.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think perhaps the W/L record is due to the fact that when Marcus shoots well everyone on the team is so surprised that they stand around gawking, leading to easy transition bucket for the opponents.

;D ;D ;D

I think you're onto something.

Brad Stevens Please Start Smart!
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 12:03:52 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
                                  FGM     FGA     FG%     3PM     3PA     3P%     minutes     +/-
Smart with Horford        37       86      43.0       17       39      43.6        350      +155
on floor

Smart w/out Horford      26      116     22.4       11       58      19.0        265        +1

per 36 with Horford       3.8      8.8      43.0      1.7      4.0      43.6

per 36 w/out Horford     3.5     15.8     22.4      1.5      7.9      19.0

Above is Smart's shooting with and without Horford on the floor.  Smart's shot volume almost doubles when Horford is not on the floor and his shooting % is cut in half.  When Marcus is on the floor as a 4th or 5th option he has been very successful.  When he is stuck with the bench units that are devoid of quality offensive options and have much poorer spacing he has displayed some dreadful shooting.

Great find, good thinking, and your theory is plausible. TP.

There's been a debate in several threads over Baynes versus Morris as the fifth starter. Smart has not been included as a third option in those discussions, but in fact the three most used lineups, by far, have been:

Irving/Brown/Tatum/Horford, plus one of...

Morris, Baynes, or Smart.

And, in fact, those three lineups have been on the floor together an almost identical amount of time.

1. With Morris (84.4 minutes): Offense 1.06 points per possession; Defense 1.20 ppp
2. With Smart (82.5 minutes): Offense 1.16 ppp; Defense 1.02 ppp
3. With Baynes (79.7 minutes): Offense 1.03 ppp; Defense .92 ppp

There are a lot of moving parts here, including Morris' recovery (he still had a minutes restriction as of last week, iirc), widely different matchups, etc. And the sample size is small enough even at the end of the season...

So, with a grain of salt,

the net of the Morris lineup is  -.14
the net of the Smart lineup is   .14
the net of the Baynes lineup is  .11

[The next most used lineup, fwiw, is Irving/Smart/Brown/Ojeleye/Horford (27.0 minutes): Offense 1.27 ppp; Defense 0.93, for a net .34 points per possession]

The numbers may seem tiny and the differences minuscule, but remember that we're talking about 100 possessions in a game, typically (actually Boston has been playing at a relatively slow 98.5 per game), so the difference between the Smart lineup and the Baynes lineup approaches 3 points per game - that translates to a big difference in wins over the course of a season.

There's an argument here for Smart starting instead of either Baynes or Morris. But maybe Brad Stevens is heeding the old NBA wisdom of Red Auerbach: "It's not who starts, but who finishes."