Author Topic: Stop starting Morris!!!  (Read 4720 times)

Re: Stop starting Morris!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 06:36:32 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/934721663022915584

The above tweet was meant to give props to Marcus smart and Celtics lineups but it indirectly throws shade on Marcus Morris and proves my point completely.

Stop trotting out that combo.
Well, we knew before the season started that Morris is not a full time PF. Brad S seems to still be figuring this one out. Knowing him, it might take a while.
Probably 90% of this forum was clamoring for the starting lineup to be Horford/Morris/Hayward/Brown/Irving before the season started.

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Probably 90% of this forum was clamoring for the starting lineup to be Horford/Morris/Hayward/Brown/Irving before the season started.

That means there is a consensus, not that the forum was right.   There is a big difference.

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 06:58:15 AM »

Offline jackpercussion

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Someone posted a stat the other day that when Baynes and Theis play over 40 minutes per game, the Celtics are undefeated.  Sounds like a recipe for success.   Last night they only played less than 30.  Are you kidding me????

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 07:32:57 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
we need 2 threads for this.

how about 3?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Someone posted a stat the other day that when Baynes and Theis play over 40 minutes per game, the Celtics are undefeated.  Sounds like a recipe for success.   Last night they only played less than 30.  Are you kidding me????

yep. more baynes and theis please brad. MM has his place as a bench scorer. we still need another becnh scorer with teh DPE
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We lost because Detroit had an amazing game on all accounts. We'll crush them in the playoffs.
And no, Morris is not coming off the bench.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard

yep. more baynes and theis please brad. MM has his place as a bench scorer. we still need another becnh scorer with teh DPE

Tyreke Evans from failing Grizzlies is the best idea I’ve seen so far. He could be a bomb bench scorer to go along Smart and Rozier. I just don’t understand why Baynes didn’t start against Drummond last night. Brad has been marching him up with opposing bigs to a great success, so I have trouble seeing what made him change his tactics. Maybe he didn’t want to match up Horford with Harris on defense, but we’ve seen the result :/
And - yeah - I agree that Morris’ place is with the branch unit. He doesn’t move the ball too well and takes shot attempts away from other starters. Maybe it can change over time, when he finally learns the sustem, but I think he is what he was in Detroit and Suns.

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 08:35:03 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am not sure we are seeing 100% of what Morris can do.  He only played 11 min in preseason and then missed the first 8 games.  It appears to me based on playing time that his knee is still a concern.  He has actually been pretty consistent in his 20-24 min he has been playing.  I think we will see a little more from Morris and his minutes will tick up, not down.

I seem to be in the minority but I like him starting.  I don't think you can seriously say that starting Theis or Baynes over him is going to have much impact either way.  Morris is a more talented player than these guys but at any rate, you are still talking about our 5th starter.

I think we are starting the right 5 guys but it is total minutes that tells the real story.  Irving, Horford, Brown, Smart, and Tatum are all over 30 min/gm.  Morris and Rozier are around 23 min, Baynes, Theis, Ojeleye in the teens, and everyone else single digits.  I have some concern that Brown and in particular Tatum can sustain this level but so far so good.

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 09:34:18 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I don't know why Stevens won't put Baynes against Drumond because he obviously is the kind of big that AL doesn't match up well with

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 09:37:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I have to agree that against all legit centers Baynes should start over Morris. I like Morris in the role of instant bench offense.

I am starting to wonder if the Cs would be better served to start Baynes against team with legit centers, Morris against team with elite 3/4 wings (cavs, OKC, GS), and Smart against everyone else. Separating Smart and Rozier more in the rotation may help both players on offense and Morris can be more of an offensive focal point when not on the court with Irving.

Ultimately Morris will be the next piece to more for this team. Projecting to the off-season I suspect Morris and possibly a future pick will be used to replace Baynes (unlikely to be cheap enough to resign). Next season will also lead to a similar style lineup to the one brought up in this post as the Cs will essentially start 3 true SFs in Brown, Hayward and Tatum.     

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 10:01:40 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The above tweet was meant to give props to Marcus smart and Celtics lineups but it indirectly throws shade on Marcus Morris and proves my point completely.

Well, we knew before the season started that Morris is not a full time PF. Brad S seems to still be figuring this one out. Knowing him, it might take a while.
Sure, let me rephrase. I knew before the season started that Morris is not a full time PF. Since I'm probably spending less time than Brad S thinking about basketball (or watching Marcus Morris tape, for that matter), I don't think he's got much of an excuse in this situation.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 10:14:26 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

Sure, let me rephrase. I knew before the season started that Morris is not a full time PF. Since I'm probably spending less time than Brad S thinking about basketball (or watching Marcus Morris tape, for that matter), I don't think he's got much of an excuse in this situation.
I was one of the few who advocated for Baynes to start as I don't want to put the added mileage on Horford guarding monster centers during the regular season.  I am in agreement with you on Morris as a full time starting PF, not a big fan.

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:12 AM »

Offline mysteryMrE

• Oshae Brissett
While watching games, I have started to refer to Morris as the black hole offensively. The ball seems to stick and more times than not he takes a contested jumper.

I think his offense could be huge for our second unit, and hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics need one more big body (C size, not PF switching size) off the bench.   Then start Baynes and have no concern about bringing a big body off the bench.

Or start Theis and not worry about starting 2 rookies (especially with the way they are playing)

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Using 82games 5 man unit data (which doesn't seem to fully add up), they have Baynes at a total of 214 minutes with 157 of those with Horford on the court also (about 73%).  I think this is based on top 5 man units not all 5 man units so it may not be 100% accurate but the point is that it doesn't matter if Baynes starts or not, he is getting minutes with Horford on the court.  Horford-Baynes is the top front court pairing with Morris-Horford and Tatum-Horford also up there.