Author Topic: PROOF that Terry Rozier has surpassed Marcus Smart  (Read 2274 times)

PROOF that Terry Rozier has surpassed Marcus Smart
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/1

Terry Rozier has surpassed Marcus Smart in Real plus Minus this season.  He is now the 19th ranked pointguard while Marcus Smart is rated 22nd. 

On the positive side for Marcus, he is now the 2nd ranked pointguard in the NBA in defensive real plus minus (1st is 76'ers Ben Simmons).

Re: PROOF that Terry Rozier has surpassed Marcus Smart
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
That list puts in perspective just how bogus the real +/- is. Marcus Smart is behind James Harden, Russell Westbrook, and Ben Simmons.

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
And both are behind Shabazz Napier and Devin Harris...  ::)

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 03:55:53 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
That sounds about right for these two.  Both right around top 20.  I predict Smart will improve a little and Rozier will hover at this same level.  Fringe starters.  That really isn't bad for two bench players.

For reference JJ Barea is 31st. 

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
And both are behind Shabazz Napier and Devin Harris...  ::)

Yeah. It’s a junk metric that includes things like height and prior season’s performance in its formula.

Or, perhaps Spencer Dinwiddie is the 7th best PG, and Mario Chalmets is 14th. Hard to tell.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
lol

"PROOF"
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 05:16:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Terry Rozier has surpassed Marcus Smart in Real plus Minus this season.  He is now the 19th ranked pointguard while Marcus Smart is rated 22nd. 

On the positive side for Marcus, he is now the 2nd ranked pointguard in the NBA in defensive real plus minus (1st is 76'ers Ben Simmons).
And here is PROOF that our most valuable players are Larkin, Ojeleye and Yabu.

https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1

Best lineup we 've used this season based on net rating is Larkin - Smart - Ojeleye - Tatum - Yabu. You may point out that the 5 of them have played together for less than a minute, but that's irrelevant. :P I rest my case.

On a more serious note, Smart is the only player featuring in all of our top 10 lineups based on net rating (minimum playing time of at least 15 minutes).

https://stats.nba.com/lineups/advanced/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612738&sort=NET_RATING&dir=1&CF=MIN*GE*15

(Link doesn't work cause the URL is too long. Just copy paste the whole thing and it will work)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:53:49 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

It's nice to see so many possible coaches on this forum, in case we need to get rid of that idiot Brad Stevens who seems to always play Smart over Rozier.

Why would you anyone want to play Smart 30 minutes over Rozier's 23 minutes, when we now have proof that Rozier has surpassed Smart as the superior player.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 11:57:55 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Man... that RPM though... :)  Proving true once again.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

It's nice to see so many possible coaches on this forum, in case we need to get rid of that idiot Brad Stevens who seems to always play Smart over Rozier.

Why would you anyone want to play Smart 30 minutes over Rozier's 23 minutes, when we now have proof that Rozier has surpassed Smart as the superior player.

I think that has more to do with fit than anything else. At the end of the game, when Kyrie is on the floor, Terry’s skills are a little bit redundant. Marcus’ are complementary.

Once gordon comes back, I think the calculus changes. At that point, Marcus is no longer in the top five – you are going to close with Al, Jaylen, Jason, Gordon, and Kyrie.  If you have to choose one of  Marcus and Terry as the point guard for the second unit, and starting point guard when Kyrie is out, I choose Terry every time.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I love smart but if I had a choice it'd be rozier and I'm not even that big of a fan.  Hope we can keep both

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

ah, but both are behind the HOFer-to-be Fred VanVleet! he is sitting in the #11 perch. which tell us what about RPM?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 12:52:25 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
That list puts in perspective just how bogus the real +/- is. Marcus Smart is behind James Harden, Russell Westbrook, and Ben Simmons.

Wait, I'm confused. those guys are all better than Marcus Smart soo shouldn't he be behind them?

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
RPM over only a half season sample size isnt an incredibly reliable stat. It shouldn't be used to definitively say one player is better. A more accurate statement would be that Rozier and Smart are similar levels players. Each has his own strength and weakness.