Author Topic: Gasol for Thompson, Korver, BKN 1st. Who says no?  (Read 3484 times)

Gasol for Thompson, Korver, BKN 1st. Who says no?
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
MEM can thrown in Bron Bron's buddy Chalmers to sweeten the deal a bit (especially since CLE might be losing Rose)

Gasol is 33 but is still one of the most versatile bigs in the game. Still has 2 years left on contract after this year. Would be dynamic in a CLE-GS series since GS has lots of trouble guarding the interior. MEM is on the verge of a rebuild anyways.

Re: Gasol for Thompson, Korver, BKN 1st. Who says no?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:34:08 AM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Cleveland should seriously consider some form of Thompson, salary, and BK pick for Gasol. Better yet, Thompson, Love, Thomas, and BK pick for Gasol and Conley. Who says no?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 11:46:45 AM by jbp126 »

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 11:42:47 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Doubt CLE would consider doing that unless LBJ promised to stay in CLE, which by all accounts he won't. CLE needs to have the option to build for the future. Losing LBJ after the season is too big a risk for this move.

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 11:47:10 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Doubt CLE would consider doing that unless LBJ promised to stay in CLE, which by all accounts he won't. CLE needs to have the option to build for the future. Losing LBJ after the season is too big a risk for this move.

I just don't see what other teams are a threat to sign LeBron. Why wouldn't he stay in the JV east on his hometown team if Love, Thomas, and Gasol were all there?

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I would 100% do it for both sides.
Gasol and Love will at least keep you competitive for the next few years, regardless if Lebron leaves.

If you use the BKN pick and do a full rebuild, you won't see the playoffs for a half decade.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think Gasol and Love is a great fit for the Cavs.  If I'm Cleveland, I'd rather just trade Love for Gasol straight up and keep Thompson to do the dirty work as a bench big and keep the BKN pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 12:04:25 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

I just don't see what other teams are a threat to sign LeBron. Why wouldn't he stay in the JV east on his hometown team if Love, Thomas, and Gasol were all there?

Right - and honestly, if you're Cleveland, you don't trade away contention just so you'll suck 25% less than you would otherwise if Lebron leaves. If I were GM there, I'd go all in right now. Go for a title right now. Lebron is 33 and if he leaves it's only your fault if you don't put him in a position to win. Basically: If Lebron leaves, you'll suck either way. If the impulse is truly to not suck after Lebron leaves, then you might as well trade him too! The goal is to win a title, so go get guys that would get you there.

Then again, I sure hope they don't trade for Gasol.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Right - and honestly, if you're Cleveland, you don't trade away contention just so you'll suck 25% than you would otherwise if Lebron leaves. If I were GM there, I'd go all in right now. Go for a title right now. Lebron is 33 and if he leaves it's only your fault if you don't put him in a position to win. Basically: If Lebron leaves, you'll suck either way. If the impulse is truly to not suck after Lebron leaves, then you might as well trade him too! The goal is to win a title, so go get guys that would get you there.

If they believe Lebron is leaving, then they absolutely should not trade the BKN pick unless they get a young star signed long term back in return.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Right - and honestly, if you're Cleveland, you don't trade away contention just so you'll suck 25% than you would otherwise if Lebron leaves. If I were GM there, I'd go all in right now. Go for a title right now. Lebron is 33 and if he leaves it's only your fault if you don't put him in a position to win. Basically: If Lebron leaves, you'll suck either way. If the impulse is truly to not suck after Lebron leaves, then you might as well trade him too! The goal is to win a title, so go get guys that would get you there.

If they believe Lebron is leaving, then they absolutely should not trade the BKN pick unless they get a young star signed long term back in return.

The BKN pick by itself doesn't get you anything, really. There's a good chance it isn't even top-5. IF they had the chance to package that with other pieces to get Gasol, that gives them a chance at a title - the second one the city has EVER had. As opposed to what - gambling on some unknown?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
Usually, I'd be against Cleveland trading the BK pick but I think it would makes sense for them to do it for Gasol. He gives them a legitimate chance to win the championship this year and his presence could help convince LeBron to stay.

If LeBron leaves, they can still field a competitive team in the East the next few years by re-signing Isaiah (IT, JR, Crowder, Love, Gasol, Korver, Shump). They'd also have the option of trading Gasol, Love, and/or Crowder in the summer if they wanted to get younger, acquire picks, and tank.

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Brooklyn pick has to be about half as valuable as it was at the end of last season. Since then
Chicago has become one of the worst teams in league losing Butler, Wade and Rondo
Atlanta has become one of worst teams in league losing Milsap, Hardaway and Howard.
Dallas has become a dumpster fire with further aging of Dirk, benching of Noel and a 5-15 start
Clippers have become a surprise blow it up option after losing 11 of 13 and having injuries to 60% of their starting lineup
The Kings and Suns have predictably sucked
Even the early darlings of the league, the Magic, have lost 8 straight and are only one game up on the Nets.
This is unfortunately, to say nothing of the overachieving Lakers who are one game better than the Nets.

What is that pick going to be 10th?

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Right now BKN has the 6th worst record in the league (tied with Memphis).  I expect BKN to finish ahead of Atlanta and Chicago in the East, but finish behind every other Eastern team.  So the question is how many teams in the West will actually finish with a worse record than the Nets.  Right now the Mavs, Suns, and Kings are all worse, they are tied with the Grizzlies and the Clippers and Lakers aren't far behind (neither are the Magic, Hornets, Thunder, or Jazz, but I'd be surprised if any of those teams finish worse then the Nets).  I'd expect Memphis and LAC to finish ahead of the Nets, which just leaves the Lakers and the 5 teams currently worse.  Any of those Western teams could pick up some wins, but any could easily finish behind the Nets.  that puts the Nets as the 7th worst team at best (without some very strange things going on or teams going into full bore tank).  Let's say they end up with the 7th pick.  Robert Williams or someone like him probably isn't a difference maker, but what if they finish 5th worst or win one of the lottery slots.  Bamba is projected at 5th on many mocks.  Bamba absolutely could be a difference maker.  You don't trade a chance at a difference maker for a 33 year old center that only moderately increases your chances of winning a title this year, if James is going to leave.  It is an absolutely terrible move for your franchise.  Now if James indicates he'll opt in or you believe making the trade greatly increases your chances of keeping him, then you have to make the trade.  The thing is, James isn't going to tell you anything, because James has no idea what he is going to do and he won't till after the season, when he makes all of these decisions.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Right now BKN has the 6th worst record in the league (tied with Memphis).  I expect BKN to finish ahead of Atlanta and Chicago in the East, but finish behind every other Eastern team.  So the question is how many teams in the West will actually finish with a worse record than the Nets.  Right now the Mavs, Suns, and Kings are all worse, they are tied with the Grizzlies and the Clippers and Lakers aren't far behind (neither are the Magic, Hornets, Thunder, or Jazz, but I'd be surprised if any of those teams finish worse then the Nets).  I'd expect Memphis and LAC to finish ahead of the Nets, which just leaves the Lakers and the 5 teams currently worse.  Any of those Western teams could pick up some wins, but any could easily finish behind the Nets.  that puts the Nets as the 7th worst team at best (without some very strange things going on or teams going into full bore tank).  Let's say they end up with the 7th pick.  Robert Williams or someone like him probably isn't a difference maker, but what if they finish 5th worst or win one of the lottery slots.  Bamba is projected at 5th on many mocks.  Bamba absolutely could be a difference maker.  You don't trade a chance at a difference maker for a 33 year old center that only moderately increases your chances of winning a title this year, if James is going to leave.  It is an absolutely terrible move for your franchise.  Now if James indicates he'll opt in or you believe making the trade greatly increases your chances of keeping him, then you have to make the trade.  The thing is, James isn't going to tell you anything, because James has no idea what he is going to do and he won't till after the season, when he makes all of these decisions.

I am a bit surprised you think the Magic are suddenly not in contention to be really bad. They had a very good start to the season but it was mostly behind career shooting from a bunch of players including a really ridiculous start by Gordon. They are a team that won 29 games last year and really haven't added any significant difference makers. Their biggest addition was probably Simmons who is an ok role player. They also haven't just been losing, they have been getting completely blown out during this 8 game losing streak only one loss by less than 8 points. What are you seeing there that makes you have any confidence they will win more games than the Nets?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Nets have played a really road heavy schedule this month. They will finish the month having played 9 games on the road and 4 at home including 2 west coast trips. The fact that they have won 4 games so far on this stretch and have been in just about every other game really shows how well they have been playing. I think there is a very reasonable chance they end up something like 9th or 10th.

We are also getting to the point that teams like the Clippers and Memphis will start giving serious thought to blowing it up. Even if healthy they are not in contention to win a playoff series. In Memphis in particular nobody knows when Conley can even play again and how good he will be... Achilles injuries are not good.

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 02:40:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I am a bit surprised you think the Magic are suddenly not in contention to be really bad. They had a very good start to the season but it was mostly behind career shooting from a bunch of players including a really ridiculous start by Gordon. They are a team that won 29 games last year and really haven't added any significant difference makers. Their biggest addition was probably Simmons who is an ok role player. They also haven't just been losing, they have been getting completely blown out during this 8 game losing streak only one loss by less than 8 points. What are you seeing there that makes you have any confidence they will win more games than the Nets?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Nets have played a really road heavy schedule this month. They will finish the month having played 9 games on the road and 4 at home including 2 west coast trips. The fact that they have won 4 games so far on this stretch and have been in just about every other game really shows how well they have been playing. I think there is a very reasonable chance they end up something like 9th or 10th.

We are also getting to the point that teams like the Clippers and Memphis will start giving serious thought to blowing it up. Even if healthy they are not in contention to win a playoff series. In Memphis in particular nobody knows when Conley can even play again and how good he will be... Achilles injuries are not good.
Brooklyn has played a lot of "bad" teams.  They've played Portland, Denver, Phoenix, and Utah twice already.  They've played the Lakers, Grizzlies, and Warriors once each.  In the East, they've played Orlando and Cleveland twice, and Atlanta, Indiana, NY, and Boston all once.  They have Houston next, but then play Dallas and Atlanta twice in a row.  The next month after that, they play a much more difficult schedule.  So I could see them win 3 of their next 4, but then lose something like 17 of 18.  They aren't a good team (and this is from the guy that predicted them 6th worst before we traded the pick). 

Orlando has lost 8 in a row, 6 on the road (funny the road only matters for BKN, not ORL), but those 8 games have collectively been pretty strong competition at Denver, Golden State, Portland, Minnesota, Boston, and Philly and home against Utah and Indiana.  Utah is the only team below .500 in that group.  Of the other Western teams below .500, the Magic have only played the Suns and Grizzlies, beating both of them.  They've only played the Nets twice, the Bulls, and the Hornets from the East of the below .500 teams.  The Magic's schedule has been front loaded with the better teams.  Their next 4 games should be tough, but after that it opens up a lot more for them.  A young team winning 29 games the prior season, should improve.  I expect the Magic to finish in the mid-30's for wins, which I can't see Brooklyn getting to. 

The Clippers and Grizzlies could start tanking, but with all those teams tanking they do actually have to play each other which means someone is winning and those two teams have talent they aren't going to trade so I can't see them doing a full bore tank like the Sixers. 

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Pretty good idea to both sides for me.  I hear people talking about Cleveland holding on to the Brooklyn pick for "the rebuild" but I think they have a better chance of overall success holding on to some chance that Lebron stays rather than a chance of building around an OK Brooklyn pick.  That pick is no guarantee for future success in an Eastern Conference with promising teams like Boston, Philly, Milwaukee, and maybe even NYK if they build well around Porzingis.

I think Moranis' Love for Gasol deal is sensible as well for Cleveland and like it a little more since Love has been pretty poor in their NBA Finals matchups.  Although I don't think Memphis would prefer Love to the other package and wonder if they even would prefer Love to Gasol?  They'd then need to go find a center if they make that swap.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur