Author Topic: Okafor and agent getting upset (Merged thread)  (Read 10264 times)

Re: Okafor and agent getting upset
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I don't think Okafor is doing anything wrong here.  He didn't say anything in the ESPN article that i would not expect him to say and he had probably said everything directly to the Sixers already.  Now he may be really lazy at practice or there could be some other behind the scenes issue but I don't get that feeling.  He seems like a young player who believes he can play and wants a chance.

As for the Celtics, it does not seem like a good fit for him right now.  We need players to be reliable or predictable.  We can't put a guy out there who is taking his lumps and learning.  Just doesn't make sense to me.  I would consider signing him as a free agent with a training camp and preseason but not as a mid season add.

I would say that there are NOT many players that are AVAILABLE that are as consistent at scoring on the block as Okafor.  Matter of fact, I canNOT think of ONE.

Smitty77

P.S.  Have you noticed that our bench could use a little offensive firepower?:-))

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Okafor makes sense only if he would help us this season win a championship.  That is not the case.  He is gone after the season, to sign with someone who is willing to pay more than we can, as we would not be getting his Bird rights.

Depends if he were released and signed or if he were traded for.

Re Bird rights? Can you elaborate?

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2017, 01:03:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Okafor makes sense only if he would help us this season win a championship.  That is not the case.  He is gone after the season, to sign with someone who is willing to pay more than we can, as we would not be getting his Bird rights.

If he were released, we could a) sign him to a two-year minimum deal, or b) sign him for up to the full DPE ($8.4 million) for 1 year.

The two-year minimum is unlikely, but if Ainge were able to sell him on the possibility that the Celtics could help turn around his career, a la Evan Turner, it’s not impossible.  Accordingly, we would not be outbid next summer, because he wouldn’t hit free agency.  In the case of the DPE, the Celtics would be able to pay him up to 120% of this year’s salary in free agency next year.  With the full DPE of $8.4 million, the Celtics could offer him a little over $10 million in year 1 of a deal next summer.  It’s highly unlikely any team is going to offer Okafor that next summer, so even though another team could technically outbid the Celtics, practically speaking the Celtics would be able to match or exceed reasonable offers Okafor might obtain next summer in such a situation, if it made sense for them to do so.

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Another month, another Jahlil Okafor thread.

He sucks the life out of your offense. It's the opposite of a team game with him. He's an outstandingly poor defender and has a history of awful rebounding.

Not a desirable sum total for any team, but a particularly bad fit for Boston. It wouldn't be expensive, but there's no good reason to occupy a roster spot with him; it's much better in the big picture to give those precious floor minutes to Theis and Yabusele, who do fit well with Boston.

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2017, 10:10:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Cavs put in Osman, Zizic, and Holland for 5 minutes. Okafor stayed on the bench.  Awful what they are doing to him
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Cavs put in Osman, Zizic, and Holland for 5 minutes. Okafor stayed on the bench.  Awful what they are doing to him

Wow.

That really is cold.

Wonder what he did over there to deserve the straight black ball. 

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

If he were released, we could a) sign him to a two-year minimum deal, or b) sign him for up to the full DPE ($8.4 million) for 1 year.

The two-year minimum is unlikely, but if Ainge were able to sell him on the possibility that the Celtics could help turn around his career, a la Evan Turner, it’s not impossible.  Accordingly, we would not be outbid next summer, because he wouldn’t hit free agency.  In the case of the DPE, the Celtics would be able to pay him up to 120% of this year’s salary in free agency next year.  With the full DPE of $8.4 million, the Celtics could offer him a little over $10 million in year 1 of a deal next summer.  It’s highly unlikely any team is going to offer Okafor that next summer, so even though another team could technically outbid the Celtics, practically speaking the Celtics would be able to match or exceed reasonable offers Okafor might obtain next summer in such a situation, if it made sense for them to do so.

Thank you and TP.

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2017, 10:30:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I have said before, I can't help but think that both Noel and Okafor have behind the scene problems we don't see. Perhaps bad work ethics. Perhaps bad attitudes. Perhaps egos are too big. Perhaps a sense of entitlement. But for two different franchises to freeze out two different players who just happened to be team mates on a team that openly promoted a losing culture can't be coincidence.

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I agree. I don't get what it is about. It has to be an ego thing with bc or brown may have a private issue with him.

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
As I have said before, I can't help but think that both Noel and Okafor have behind the scene problems we don't see. Perhaps bad work ethics. Perhaps bad attitudes. Perhaps egos are too big. Perhaps a sense of entitlement. But for two different franchises to freeze out two different players who just happened to be team mates on a team that openly promoted a losing culture can't be coincidence.
Sure it can. Grant was on those teams. So was Covington. McConnell was also. Ish Smith was the PG. They don't seem bothered by the losing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2017, 10:48:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sure it can. Grant was on those teams. So was Covington. McConnell was also. Ish Smith was the PG. They don't seem bothered by the losing.
They are not all the same people. What effects one person one way effects some differently. What's the difference between Okafor/Noel and Covington/McConnell/Smith. Okafor and Noel were high draft picks that got tons of special treatment from AAU to high school to college to being picked high. Those others weren't. Completely different upbringings, expectations, and path to the NBA.

My son knows Noel. He says he has turned into a huge punk and has bad people around him. Okafor hasshown to be prettyimmature in the past also. Sorry but I can easily see where Philly didn't provide a good atmosphere for too young self entitled individuals and so they have become behind the scenes problems.

« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
They are not all the same people. What effects one person one way effects some differently. What's the difference between Okafor/Noel and Covington/McConnell/Smith. Okafor and Noel were high draft picks that got tons of special treatment from AAU to high school to college to being picked high. Those others weren't. Completely different upbringings, expectations, and path to the NBA.

My son knows Noel. He says he has turned into a huge punk and has bad people around him. Okafor hasshown to be prettyimmature in the past also. Sorry but I can easily see where Philly didn't provide a good atmosphere for too young self entitled individuals and so they have become behind the scenes problems.

I agree with this. This isn't to say the intentional losing hurt everyone hat was part of it, but the twoest high profile guys that were part of it and played the same position would certainly be the most likely to be negatively impacted. Obviously some of these other guys were just happy to have a chance to make it in the league. I almost want to stop saying "the process" cause it really over time hasn't been that much different than what happened in some other players. I still think it was a mistake to not have a few more vets around that wouldn't impact wins and losses but they end up with 4 lottery picks in a row.

« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2017, 11:26:11 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Tonight's game vs. the Pistons made it abundantly clear that we need a player on this roster over 6' 10" tall.  Okafor is 6' 11" and 260 and can flat score on the post and could have muscled Drummond a little and given us 6 good hard fouls.

Please Danny, give my my binky and Brad a new toy for Christmas.

Smitty77

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Another month, another Jahlil Okafor thread.

He sucks the life out of your offense. It's the opposite of a team game with him. He's an outstandingly poor defender and has a history of awful rebounding.

Not a desirable sum total for any team, but a particularly bad fit for Boston. It wouldn't be expensive, but there's no good reason to occupy a roster spot with him; it's much better in the big picture to give those precious floor minutes to Theis and Yabusele, who do fit well with Boston.

I did NOT know that our second unit had life to be sucked out.  I just thought our second unit sucked on offense, especially interior scoring!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2017, 12:07:34 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Everyone needs to stop saying this kid is a team killer.   He is a young 22 year big man with talent.  Toss a second salary filler at them and have brad coach him up.  Sign a scorer with the disable money and go to battle!  Make it to the finals and see what happens!  Inn!
Diggles