Author Topic: Okafor and agent getting upset (Merged thread)  (Read 10253 times)

Okafor and agent getting upset (Merged thread)
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:25:11 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Both starting to make some comments to the media. They just want him to move on. He should be released pretty soon http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21581687/jahlil-okafor-philadelphia-76ers-limbo-hoping-resolution
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:25:34 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Okafor and agent getting upset
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:33:12 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don’t know the whole situation there but he signed a contract and the Sixers are keeping up their end of the pact, I’m sure his checks keep coming.

He and his agent can whine and moan all they want, but any team shouldn’t be forced to release them or make a trade they don’t want because a player is unhappy.

Okafor want to take a free buyout? Thought so.

Too many players want to have their cake and eat it too. He wouldn’t make nearly what he is now if he was able to sign a new contract. He’s not even a washed up star like Wade or Melo demanding out, but still wanting a significant portion of their salary. He’s a nobody. Earn your burn or wait ‘til you aren’t under contract and do whatever you please. It’s not like teams go to the media about a guy they signed who is underperforming and wish he would just rip up the contract and go sign with another team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 01:36:31 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I respect him for speaking out at this point.  The Sixers are one of the purer forms of trainwreck.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 01:38:54 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don’t know the whole situation there but he signed a contract and the Sixers are keeping up their end of the pact, I’m sure his checks keep coming.

He and his agent can whine and moan all they want, but any team shouldn’t be forced to release them or make a trade they don’t want because a player is unhappy.

Too many players want to have their cake and eat it too. He wouldn’t make nearly what he is now if he was able to sign a new contract. He’s not even a washed up star like Wade or Melo demanding out, but still wanting a significant portion of their salary. He’s a nobody. Earn your burn or wait ‘til you aren’t under contract and do whatever you please. It’s not like teams go to the media about a guy they signed who is underperforming and wish he would just rip up the contract and go sign with another team.

It seems like they are playing him out of spite or something else. I've been a harsh critic of his but he is good enough to give them 5 minutes here and there for spot offense. They just don't play him at all

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 01:54:57 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
why isnt he playing?

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 01:56:23 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We could use him as a scorer on the bench. He rebounds and scores. I’ll take it

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 02:15:26 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I respect him for speaking out at this point.  The Sixers are one of the purer forms of trainwreck.

This...this is ‘the process’. They’ve destroyed Noel and Okafor’s careers because they were hell bent on being as bad as possible.

They got extremely lucky with Embiid and Simmons plus Simmons was after the Hinkie era where he had some type of mentors.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:53:44 AM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
We could use him as a scorer on the bench. He rebounds and scores. I’ll take it

He doesn't rebound. His total rebound rate is about 12%. Compare that to Baynes this year at 16 and Theis at 18%. He is actually one of the worst defensive rebounders in the league. He converts just 44.8 percent of his defensive rebound  chances into rebounds. That would rank him 287th out of 294 players.

And for his scoring? His ability to score in the post is his only skill. And even then he ranks about the middle of the pack. Post up scoring isn't exactly something in high demand anymore in the league and offenses have clearly moved away from it. He is also a terrible free throw shooter. Compare Okafor to Enes Kanter. Neither play a lick of defense, are slow as molasses, and bog down your offense since they are also terrible passers and can only score in the post. Kanter though is better at post up scoring, is a great defensive rebounder, can set screens, and can shoot free throws. Okafor's ceiling is probably a worse rebounding and shooting version of Enes Kanter. That is not what teams want out of their big man now.

Okafor needs to go where he can get minutes and rebuild his entire game. Brad is an expert at getting the most out of players and using them in his system. But that roster spot is better used on someone who can help more immediately. And if Brad works miracles with Okafor this year, could they even sign him long term?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:03:52 AM by DooVoo »

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

This...this is ‘the process’. They’ve destroyed Noel and Okafor’s careers because they were hell bent on being as bad as possible.

They got extremely lucky with Embiid and Simmons plus Simmons was after the Hinkie era where he had some type of mentors.
Nonsense.  Noel and Okafor had plenty of opportunity to develop with Embiid missing 2.5 seasons.  The Sixers have two undrafted players, McConnell and Covington, who have taken advantage of the opportunities that "the process" provided them. 

Noel had a chance to sign a 70M deal with Dallas but his ego made him really stupid.  Now he's not getting much playing time with Dallas.  Where's the outrage with Carlisle not playing Noel? 

Okafor was happy when he was getting his minutes on a lousy, losing team while being one of the worst defensive players in the league.  Now he complains when they are winning because he can't beat out Amir and Holmes for playing time.  He did have two opportunities to play when Embiid sat out this season.  He put up hollow numbers in a blowout loss to the Raptors and had a terribly bad 3 minutes against the Jazz. 

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 07:17:22 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Nonsense.  Noel and Okafor had plenty of opportunity to develop with Embiid missing 2.5 seasons.  The Sixers have two undrafted players, McConnell and Covington, who have taken advantage of the opportunities that "the process" provided them. 

Noel had a chance to sign a 70M deal with Dallas but his ego made him really stupid.  Now he's not getting much playing time with Dallas.  Where's the outrage with Carlisle not playing Noel? 

Okafor was happy when he was getting his minutes on a lousy, losing team while being one of the worst defensive players in the league.  Now he complains when they are winning because he can't beat out Amir and Holmes for playing time.  He did have two opportunities to play when Embiid sat out this season.  He put up hollow numbers in a blowout loss to the Raptors and had a terribly bad 3 minutes against the Jazz.
I'll cosign this.

Why weren't Covington and Mcconell ruined by the process? Why isn't Noel excelling in Dallas now that he's free of the tyranny of Philadelphia? Why is Philly "lucky" they got Embiid and Simmons but any other team that drafts a star player isn't (Boston, excluded, since they drafted their young stars with someone else's pick)?

Philly is lucky in that the draft always requires some luck, but less so than most other teams because they engineered better odds for themselves than those others teams. They gave themselves room to whif on Okafor and Noel (and possibly Fultz) and wound up with two guy who might be foundational stars for the next 15 years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 07:23:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Could use his inside scoring for some buckets , imstead of throwing the ball at the rim for NO points as happens most of the time when the second group enters .    Sure 2 's in the paint beat bricked 3 by the dozen beyond the arc. 

Oakfor or Monroe would abuse most bench squads.   

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 07:45:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'll cosign this.

Why weren't Covington and Mcconell ruined by the process? Why isn't Noel excelling in Dallas now that he's free of the tyranny of Philadelphia? Why is Philly "lucky" they got Embiid and Simmons but any other team that drafts a star player isn't (Boston, excluded, since they drafted their young stars with someone else's pick)?

Philly is lucky in that the draft always requires some luck, but less so than most other teams because they engineered better odds for themselves than those others teams. They gave themselves room to whif on Okafor and Noel (and possibly Fultz) and wound up with two guy who might be foundational stars for the next 15 years.

Noel absolutely has no cause for complaint.  Okafor, less so.  He was the third center drafted in three years.  His rookie year, he had to play nearly half his minutes with Noel, which was obviously going to be a terrible fit.  He wasn’t spectacular his rookie year, but neither did he look like a bust.

Then he got hurt. Supposedly it was a minor knee injury, with a short recovery time (6 weeks) after surgery.  Since it happened in March, that ended his season.  And then it turned into a much longer injury.  Now maybe it was always a bigger deal than the Sixers said it was, maybe Okafor’s rehab went poorly, or maybe the surgery messed up.  There’s no was to know,!especially with the Sixers, although based on how they handled several other injuries under Colangelo (Simmons and Embiid last year, arguably Fultz this year), my guess is that the Sixers lied about the severity.  So during his second season he played hurt because the Sixers wanted to trade him, before getting surgery to correct the same knee issue shortly after the trade deadline passed.

And then there’s how the Sixers have handled trading him.  Recall last year before the All-Star break when they didn’t play him, and even sent him home to go pack, because a trade was imminent. Of course, that never happened.  Okafor certainly was embarrassed (who wouldn’t be), but said nothing publicly.  They gave his agent permission to go seek out trade destinations — his agent did, but Colangelo decided the offers brought back to him weren’t good enough.  If you value the guy that’s one thing, but instead they declined his option and are refusing to play him.

Okafor is going to be a free agent this year and probably hasn’t been healthy on a basketball court for 22 momths, and the Sixers, for reasons that no one can understand, are refusing to let him play after refusing every trade offer received.  He should absolutely be upset.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:06:05 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Hi, I’m Kyrie, the elephant in the room. ;)

While I agree with you in principle, Celtics fans just cannot complain about guys under contract trying to force trades.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He wants to play for his next contract.   His current team is killing the chance for that to happen by never putting him in.   

I understand his frustration. 

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

This is affecting his long-term ability to make money. If he doesn't have time to impact another team, then his next contract will either be a minimum or overseas. They have been patient for over a year now.

Its the Sixers who are being greedy at the expense of yet another player's career.