Author Topic: The Consistency of Jayson Tatum  (Read 11290 times)

Re: The Consistency of Jayson Tatum
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Update on Tatum's consistency:

Through 44 games he's scored in single digits only 6 times and he's never scored fewer than 4 points in an NBA game. He's also only had five 20 point games. He's never attempted more than 15 shots in a game, which he's done 3 times. He's a machine.

For all of the Durant/Pierce comps I've seen, this kind of consistency is Duncan-esque.

I like that comparison a lot - reminds me of Chuck calling Duncan "Groundhog Day" because his box scores were so consistent. 

Tatum obviously doesn't play like Duncan at all but his efficiency and consistency are definitely reminiscent. And that's a great thing from the kid.

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I wish he would be a little more aggressive and not disappear for long stretches.

I think you nailed it here, TP.   I feel the same.
On this front, I was encouraged to see him call his own number last night against Amir Johnson in the 4th quarter. Yes it was Amir Johnson, but he still felt confident enough to waive off Theis so he could iso.

He's 19 years old and playing against/with a lot of grown men. I think he's easing his way into the NBA and his aggressiveness will come in due time.
Yeah, not worried yet. Here's a 19-year old kid, a rookie, that's starting with Kyrie Irving and Al Horford, and gets to spend a lot of minutes on the court with Smart and Rozier who aren't exactly great involving others.

Rozier is a pretty selfish dude but Smart? He does plenty to get his teammates involved. Of course, not all possessions end pretty but he does a pretty decent job, IMO
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 12:58:04 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Tatum has scored at least 11 points for 8 games in a row. He's scored 11 points or more in 18 of his 21 games in the NBA. He's currently averaging 13.9 per game. For anyone, this is terrific consistency. For a 19 year old rookie, I think this is remarkable.

More remarkable still is his team defense - astonishing would be my word. Of all the mountains that rookies have to climb, this is the steepest. But Jayson plays defense like a vet.

Tatum is amazing.
Danny is a genius.

You mean... he's a genius at... the Draft?!

More like, BRAD is a drafting genius. 

Danny made a genius coaching hire, and is a good enough leader to take his advise. 

We’ve been noticably better drafting since Stevens joined the brain-trust, no doubt about it.

We have also drafted #6 overall, #3 overall, #3 overall. Those #3 picks are do to AInge as well. Give the man his credit.

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Update!

There was a lot of talk that Tatum hit the rookie wall sometime in January/February but if there is such a thing as a rookie wall, he smashed through it. Since the all star break (12 games) Tatum is averaging 14-5-2 on .480/.436/.806 shooting which are right in line with his season averages.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This was good:
https://nesn.com/2018/03/why-skip-bayless-believes-jayson-tatum-deserves-rookie-of-the-year-consideration/

If you don't want to watch the whole rant the Tatum part comes at the end...

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 11:19:58 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Update!

There was a lot of talk that Tatum hit the rookie wall sometime in January/February but if there is such a thing as a rookie wall, he smashed through it. Since the all star break (12 games) Tatum is averaging 14-5-2 on .480/.436/.806 shooting which are right in line with his season averages.
But one of his FT misses was oh so painful. 😉 Seriously he has been a bright spot recently. Fun to watch his progression.

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 12:32:47 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
At this point, the only remaining hope is that Tatum displays a higher “playoff level” like Jaylen Brown did last year.

He’s definitely proven this regular season that he’s a very good player who had a “very good year.”

Only C’s player to play all of our games if I’m not mistaken!

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 12:44:28 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
At this point, the only remaining hope is that Tatum displays a higher “playoff level” like Jaylen Brown did last year.

He’s definitely proven this regular season that he’s a very good player who had a “very good year.”

Only C’s player to play all of our games if I’m not mistaken!

Only player to start every game.  Rozier has played every game as well.

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
What we are seeing is what Tatum would be doing if he was on a horrible team and why he probably would be in rookie of the year consideration if he wasnt on a team with Kyrie irving and a promising 2nd year player in Jaylen brown

Hopefully he keeps up this aggressive play offensively once brown and Irving come back

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
back to back 20 point games for Tatum.

he had a highlight reel game against OKC and helped key our comeback.

23 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists.  And his last assist set up the game winner to Marcus Morris!

kid is going to be a stud.

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 12:24:45 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
What we are seeing is what Tatum would be doing if he was on a horrible team and why he probably would be in rookie of the year consideration if he wasnt on a team with Kyrie irving and a promising 2nd year player in Jaylen brown

Hopefully he keeps up this aggressive play offensively once brown and Irving come back

TP for this.

In a normal situation, Tatum's usage would be far north of 20%. Mitchell's usage is 28% and he's putting up 17 shots a game. Kuzma is 22%. Fox's is 23%. Tatum is at 18.8%.

But Tatum is playing on a very good team and isn't even the secondary option. So Tatum is putting up a paltry 10 shots per game. If he had free reign he wouldn't be as efficient but he'd be scoring a whole lot more. And given that the kid JUST turned 20 (19 days ago), he's an amazing talent. Mitchell is a year and a half older. Kuzma is almost 3 years older.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 01:48:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What a completely awesome week it would have been for Jayson had he hit that free throw against Washington to win it.

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 04:16:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

TP for this.

In a normal situation, Tatum's usage would be far north of 20%. Mitchell's usage is 28% and he's putting up 17 shots a game. Kuzma is 22%. Fox's is 23%. Tatum is at 18.8%.

But Tatum is playing on a very good team and isn't even the secondary option. So Tatum is putting up a paltry 10 shots per game. If he had free reign he wouldn't be as efficient but he'd be scoring a whole lot more. And given that the kid JUST turned 20 (19 days ago), he's an amazing talent. Mitchell is a year and a half older. Kuzma is almost 3 years older.
He does have free reign, or at least a lot more reign then he is taking, which is a real concern.  Especially with Brown, Smart, and Irving out, Tatum isn't really taking any more shots, which is a real problem.  I mean even in the Thunder game when he was on fire, Tatum had just 12 shots, behind Rozier and Morris and the same as Monroe.  The shots are available, but he isn't taking them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

TP for this.

He does have free reign, or at least a lot more reign then he is taking, which is a real concern.  Especially with Brown, Smart, and Irving out, Tatum isn't really taking any more shots, which is a real problem.  I mean even in the Thunder game when he was on fire, Tatum had just 12 shots, behind Rozier and Morris and the same as Monroe.  The shots are available, but he isn't taking them.

The real problem would be if Tatum started going ISO hero not that he's only taking 12 shots a game. He's still learning how to get his in the flow of the game. I think we all know he can get his in ISO situations.

I don't know how players talk to each other but I'm going to fathom a guess and say these things are brought up to rookies.
ok fine

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 04:59:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

TP for this.

After hovering around 18% for most of the year his usage is up to 22% in March on good efficiency.