Author Topic: Rozier for Sabonis, or Turner or Skal?  (Read 2095 times)

Rozier for Sabonis, or Turner or Skal?
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:44:13 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Since this is sort of a slow C news day...

My starting premise is that the C's will choose not to afford both TR and MS in 2 years.  I like TR a lot and could make the argument that MS should go.  But for purposes of this post I am going to assume that C's will go with the cheaper player (MS 8 mil/yr vs TR currently playing his way up to 15 mil/yr and perhaps beyond).

So if C's have committed to KI, JB, and MS in the back court ... and TR has said he would like to start, C might consider dealing an area of surplus for an area of need: a young big

I love Al and Daniel a lot.  I am not sold on bringing either Aron or Greg back.  I don't think Ed Davis from Portland is the answer either.

Why Indiana does it:  Long term are they going to be able to keep both DS and MT and keep them both happy?  Their current PG's are D Collison (salary not guaranteed next year, 30 years old) and C Joesph.  TR is a good upgrade for Pacers. (of course C's would need to sweeten the deal to get M Turner from Indiana)

In 2 or 3 years, would C's rather spend 15 million a year on a starting center (Sabonis) or a back up point guard (TR)?

I also like Skal L in Sacramento, but not sure Kings would readily part with him, plus they seem set at PG with Fox and Mason.

Ok - let me have it!

Re: Rozier for Sabonis, or Turner or Skal?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Turner obviously has a higher ceiling than Sabonis, but he's been pretty mediocre the past few games. And I do think IND would want more than just Rozier for Turner. I think Rozier for Sabonis is intriguing and could work though. Sabonis is averaging 12/8 in about 24 minutes/game and he's ONLY 21 years old. I love Rozier but agree it's likely we can't keep BOTH Smart + Rozier after next season. Rozier is likely outpricing himself out of here too.

I'd think IND would want back another piece since Rozier is an expiring and Sabonis is under control until 2020 (and younger), so maybe a future 2nd or first rounder (not Kings Pick though).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 02:24:58 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I think this will all depend on what happens to Smart.  I would assume Smart is the one kept if he has a reasonable contract next year.  If he plays under the tender and goes to FA in 2020 I would assume Smart walks after next year and Rozier is kept.  Only way Rozier is traded is if the C's get a high pick or a player who still has 2 years left on their rookie contract.  If you are going to pay someone big money why not pay the guy you developed.  To stay under the luxury tax the C's will need young players with upside on a cheap contract.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Turner obviously has a higher ceiling than Sabonis, but he's been pretty mediocre the past few games. And I do think IND would want more than just Rozier for Turner. I think Rozier for Sabonis is intriguing and could work though. Sabonis is averaging 12/8 in about 24 minutes/game and he's ONLY 21 years old. I love Rozier but agree it's likely we can't keep BOTH Smart + Rozier after next season. Rozier is likely outpricing himself out of here too.

I'd think IND would want back another piece since Rozier is an expiring and Sabonis is under control until 2020 (and younger), so maybe a future 2nd or first rounder (not Kings Pick though).

really most of the season. they were playing better with sabonis as the primary big.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 03:01:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’d nit consider trading Rozier until we receive clarity on the long term health of Kyrie’s knee.

Labasierre? You can’t be serious.

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 03:21:16 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
I like the premise, TP for that. 

Pet peeve ... am I the only one who doesn't like using initials for players in posts?  With the exception of a few guys like IT, it usually takes me a few seconds to know who is being talked about.  KI, MS, TR, DS, MT.  I'm lost in the alphabet soup!  ;) :o

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I know Turner hasn't had much of a season but I'd assume he's still their franchise big and not on the market. And if he is on the market, I'd question why.

Sabonis might be gettable, especially if they think he doesn't pair well with Turner. I love what Rozier has done but, financially, a deal like this might make too much sense to not consider.

Labissierre still has a tantalizing skillset but that would be a real gamble bringing him in.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:48:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I like the premise, TP for that. 

Pet peeve ... am I the only one who doesn't like using initials for players in posts?  With the exception of a few guys like IT, it usually takes me a few seconds to know who is being talked about.  KI, MS, TR, DS, MT.  I'm lost in the alphabet soup!  ;) :o
You aren’t the only one.  I’d also rather not waste my time solving the initial puzzles.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I’d nit consider trading Rozier until we receive clarity on the long term health of Kyrie’s knee.

Labasierre? You can’t be serious.

This would be my position as well.