Author Topic: Glad we didn't get Paul George.  (Read 8072 times)

Re: Glad we didn't get Paul George.
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Not saying his recent performance is related to his injury from a couple summers ago, but this quote from George last month, talking about Hayward's injury, makes me a bit nervous:

Just being on the court, I'm not as explosive, I'm not as bouncy as I was. It's something I've got to live with now. Thankfully, I was able to gain, mentally, to learn the game a different way during my time off.

Desperately hoping GH comes back with the same spring as before. Even a slight change in his physical ability could have a dramatic effect.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2017, 10:31:24 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
At this point, I would love to see the Lakers throw a max deal at George, thrusting them in to full-blown mediocrity for the next half decade.

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Relevant article from old friend Kevin O'Connor.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/11/27/16702738/nba-russell-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-problem

I posted an article during the first week of the season where Melo and George said they would follow Westbrook's lead.  One month later and it looks like nothing has changed.  The Thunder NEED to implement a motion style offense but it's too late at this point.  This should have been the priority during training camp.

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/11/27/16702738/nba-russell-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-problem

I posted an article during the first week of the season where Melo and George said they would follow Westbrook's lead.  One month later and it looks like nothing has changed.  The Thunder NEED to implement a motion style offense but it's too late at this point.  This should have been the priority during training camp.
They don't even need a full motion offense as much as they need some sort of ball movement.

A team with such talented offensive players should not be so easy to defend overall, even with their somewhat lacking shooting.

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
At this point, I would love to see the Lakers throw a max deal at George, thrusting them in to full-blown mediocrity for the next half decade.

with out Lebron coming though the door to led the way ......thats exactly what would happen .

Kuzma and George are kinda redundant IMO .  Kuzma is cheapO scoring and is a deal.

There is only a couple or so players that can thrust Lakers into contention .   they are not getting Townes , Davis , Simmons or Embiid .   

Basically ......Lakers nation is on pins and needles ...waiting on the Lebron decision 3.0 to unfold.

Lakers just are not patient or smart enough with out Jerry West to rebuild from with in ...impatientence will be their undoing.

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 11:45:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Lebron to Philly or NYK, or just staying in CLE, makes far more sense than to LAL, unless the Celtics somehow miraculously win NBA Championship, and GSW fall apart in the process. Otherwise seems destined to stay in East to maximize chances of continuing to play in Finals for a few more seasons.

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I still think if the OKC figures it out they pose the biggest threat to the Warriors.  They are the one team that has enough offensive and defensive firepower (and at the right positions) to really give the Warriors fits in a series.  You saw what they could be in the game they played earlier this year.  Westbrook is a match-up nightmare for Curry.  George will make Durant work on both ends of the floor.  Roberson is a great defender to handle Thompson.  Anthony pulls Green out of the paint or can easily post up Iggy if they play smaller.  Adams and Patterson are an interesting combo at center.  Grant, Felton, Abrines, and Huestis are quality bench guards/wings.  They clearly have some growing pains, but if they figure it out, the West should take notice.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Also fwiw the Thunder have the point differential of a good team. I think they'll struggle for a while and then breakout once some bounces and chemistry come to together for them.

I also think that there is no way Paul George stays there at the end of this season.

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2017, 12:12:52 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

They don't even need a full motion offense as much as they need some sort of ball movement.

A team with such talented offensive players should not be so easy to defend overall, even with their somewhat lacking shooting.

It makes you wonder what they actually talk about during film sessions.  If I remember correctly both Melo and PG are well above 40% on catch and shoot threes over the past 3 seasons.  Melo might even be closer to 45%.  You would think that these guys would like the idea of easier looks.

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I still think if the OKC figures it out they pose the biggest threat to the Warriors.  They are the one team that has enough offensive and defensive firepower (and at the right positions) to really give the Warriors fits in a series.  You saw what they could be in the game they played earlier this year.  Westbrook is a match-up nightmare for Curry.  George will make Durant work on both ends of the floor.  Roberson is a great defender to handle Thompson.  Anthony pulls Green out of the paint or can easily post up Iggy if they play smaller.  Adams and Patterson are an interesting combo at center.  Grant, Felton, Abrines, and Huestis are quality bench guards/wings.  They clearly have some growing pains, but if they figure it out, the West should take notice.
Not sure how you come up with this stuff but OKC's bench looks absolutely pathetic.  Reminds me of how you used to overrate all of Philly's scrubs who aren't even in the league anymore.  Huestis averages 2 points and has a PER of 3.  Abrines averages 4 points and has a PER of 6.  They aren't NBA players. 

I don't see the team making much noise.  Besides having no bench they seem to play pretty lazy.  I think George is the best piece on the whole team.  Westbrook is a ballhog who tries to do way too much, Melo is a ballhog who does far too little except for shot attempts.  I'm not impressed at all with the team.

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Not sure how you come up with this stuff but OKC's bench looks absolutely pathetic.  Reminds me of how you used to overrate all of Philly's scrubs who aren't even in the league anymore.  Huestis averages 2 points and has a PER of 3.  Abrines averages 4 points and has a PER of 6.  They aren't NBA players. 

I don't see the team making much noise.  Besides having no bench they seem to play pretty lazy.  I think George is the best piece on the whole team.  Westbrook is a ballhog who tries to do way too much, Melo is a ballhog who does far too little except for shot attempts.  I'm not impressed at all with the team.
Abrines and Huestis are 9th and 10th men.  San Antonio for example has Bryn Forbes and Brandon Paul in those slots right now.  Houston has 37 year old Nene and Tarik Black manning those spots.  The Warriors have Omri Casspi and Kevon Looney (though 37 year old West has played less, so maybe he bumps them down a slot).  Even Boston's 9th and 10th men are Semi and Theis (who have played well for rookies, but aren't exactly world beaters and are rookies).  I'd take my chances with Abrines and Huestis as compared to any of those teams 9th and 10th men, especially Abrines who had a fairly decorated European career before coming to OKC prior to last season.

Over at bball-ref, OKC's projected W/L is 12-7.  They have the 2nd best DRTG at 101.4 (giving up just 98.1 ppg).  Their ORTG is 105.4 (21st) and they are scoring 102 (23rd).  Their SRS is 2.96 or 6th out of 30.  The metrics love OKC.  They've had a lot of close losses and have blown out teams when they win.  As they find a bit more consistency and comfort, they will start winning some of the close games they've been losing and their record will start to reflect that. 

OKC is the most dangerous team in the NBA if they can figure it out and they have the talent to figure it out.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Abrines and Huestis are 9th and 10th men.  San Antonio for example has Bryn Forbes and Brandon Paul in those slots right now.  Houston has 37 year old Nene and Tarik Black manning those spots.  The Warriors have Omri Casspi and Kevon Looney (though 37 year old West has played less, so maybe he bumps them down a slot).  Even Boston's 9th and 10th men are Semi and Theis (who have played well for rookies, but aren't exactly world beaters and are rookies).  I'd take my chances with Abrines and Huestis as compared to any of those teams 9th and 10th men, especially Abrines who had a fairly decorated European career before coming to OKC prior to last season.

Over at bball-ref, OKC's projected W/L is 12-7.  They have the 2nd best DRTG at 101.4 (giving up just 98.1 ppg).  Their ORTG is 105.4 (21st) and they are scoring 102 (23rd).  Their SRS is 2.96 or 6th out of 30.  The metrics love OKC.  They've had a lot of close losses and have blown out teams when they win.  As they find a bit more consistency and comfort, they will start winning some of the close games they've been losing and their record will start to reflect that. 

OKC is the most dangerous team in the NBA if they can figure it out and they have the talent to figure it out.

Their problems extend way further than comfort in playing together.  Teams that rank at the bottom of the league in passes per game are never able to get over the hump in the modern NBA.  The Cavs managed to win a title while ranking in the middle of the pack, but this was before Durant joined the Warriors.  I would be absolutely shocked if OKC was able to fundamentally change the way their offense operates to the point that they could compete with the Warriors.  They needed to focus on changing Westbrook's game during the off-season.  This OKC team would have been ideal in the early 2000's. 

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The OKC bench is bad.  Of the 343 players who’ve seen at least 100 minutes of playing time this year, Huestis, Patterson, and Abrines are all in the bottom 20 for PER, at the 5th, 15th, and 19th-lowest numbers.  I think PER is imperfect as a stat, as are all gestalt stats, but having three guys in your rotation in the 5th percentile and below is terrible.  And the bench behind them is even worse — Singler is only in the NBA because the Thunder can’t figure out how to move his contract, Collison is simply a locker-room presence, and Dakari Johnson and Terrance Ferguson are non-contributing rookies.

And this isn’t surprising.  When you make trades to acquire two players on max contracts, necessarily you’ll have to send a lot of depth just to match salaries, never mind matching talent.  Ultimately their record will come close to matching their point differential, and they should be a playoff team.  But if an injury strikes any of their top 7, they’ll be forced to rely on this trio even more, and likely have to slide someone even worse into the rotation as well.  They’re definitely walking a bit of a tightrope.  Ultimately, this will cost them in playoff seeding, and the home court advantage that comes with it, perhaps even in the first round.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:49:13 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am glad we did not trade for Paul George but I suspect that this team will be much better in Feb/Mar than they are now.  How much better?  Who knows, but better. 

Westbrook does seem to go for triple doubles but I think he will figure it out.  I sense Paul George is somewhat less than fully committed (thinking ahead to his next team) but he is a competitor and will rise to the occasion as the games get more important.  As for Melo, I am not sure how much he has left or how accepting he will be of a lesser role.  Like PG, he will be somewhat better as games get more important.

Tough team to coach too.  Not sure they will listen.  The players are going to have to figure it out.