Author Topic: Glad we didn't get Paul George.  (Read 8061 times)

Re: Glad we didn't get Paul George.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 02:03:37 AM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
Paul George isn’t the problem in OKC. He’s scored, defended and shot well overall.
I think Russ is the problem.

I also think Presti is really overrated as a GM.
I agree with your Westbrook assessment. He may be the best one-man team in the league, but how on earth do you build a winning team around him? I have no idea...

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 02:17:08 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Paul George isn’t the problem in OKC. He’s scored, defended and shot well overall.

I agree with your Westbrook assessment. He may be the best one-man team in the league, but how on earth do you build a winning team around him? I have no idea...
you can't build around Westbrook. He's a professional statpadder. His style of play isn't winning basketball

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 02:46:58 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Melo is subtraction by addition.  PG may have had one bad game but he's still a fine player.

Probably will be addition by subtraction after this year.  I imagine the thunder will be better without melo, but that is just me.

you think melo is not opting in to that 27 mil salary next season?

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 03:04:15 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No way melo opts out unless he gets desperate to ring chase

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 03:13:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

you can't build around Westbrook. He's a professional statpadder. His style of play isn't winning basketball
Exactly why Westbrook was never my MVP.
Last 2 years he was/is about 12-8th best player in the league, his team was/is 12-8th best too.
He is unable to maximize the talent around him and only knows to play one way, the RW way, regardless if he is on a non-playoff team or contender.
Before those 2 years, KD left him as he correctly realized that he will never win with him.

Fans always got turned on by raw stats, even when they are meaningless.
I guess they like to cling the raw numbers as they give them a (false) sense of game comprehension, in a simplified graphical manner.

As for PG13

The sides
OKC, CELTICS, and PG13

Why would they do it?
OKC - only if their current play (8-11 now) continues and till the trade deadline, and it becomes clear that Paul won't stay and they are looking to make a move while he is still theirs. Trading him to a contender would be a good look for them. Much better look than trading him to a bottom feeder.
CELTICS - Great addition to the playoffs, true Gordon Haywards substitution, cool PG-GH injury connection and GH would just slip in his shoes in the 2018-19 season. Our 1st rounder could do it
PG13 - It would be nice for him to get a championship before he inevitably goes to a team that can give him a max deal. He would be "released" in that sense.

I feel like this is a perfect scenario for all sides but it would require some serious salary machinations.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:43:01 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2017, 04:47:00 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Classic case of looking at the worst example of a player and assuming the same results if he was with our team.  Paul George would look amazing in CBS' system.  The issue with the Thunder is Westbrook and coaching.  Westbrook's style of play is too ball dominant.  Unfortunately he hasn't had a coach who challenges him to improve other areas of his game. 

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 05:25:38 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Classic case of looking at the worst example of a player and assuming the same results if he was with our team.  Paul George would look amazing in CBS' system.  The issue with the Thunder is Westbrook and coaching.  Westbrook's style of play is too ball dominant.  Unfortunately he hasn't had a coach who challenges him to improve other areas of his game.

Absolutely correct. The culture and the environment in the C organisation has done miracles bringing forward the talent in many players . Kyrie is trying to play defence ! That's more than a miracle!

So can agree that PG looks awful in OKC  but I can't say we are lucky we didn't get him cause PG in Green would have been a very different player

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 06:37:10 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Sounds like George had an awful night and the Thunder have been a disaster so far but George has arguably been their best player. He's averaging 20-6-3, knocking down 40% of his 3's and leading the league in steals.

I'm pretty happy with the way things shook out for the Celtics this summer (the Hayward injury notwithstanding) but the idea of having Paul George on this team is still appealing, even in a fantasy way.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 06:45:33 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Arguably it was an epic success because it got Russ to sign long term.  He didn't give up that much for either player in the scheme of things.

Hottest and most correct take of the day. It literally doesn't matter how well this version goes over, because it got Russ to sign. Melo is off the books soon, and George could be gone this year. They served their purpose. They build around Russ going forward.

And where will that get them exactly? They are going to be paying Russ like $40M a season eventually. So let’s lose PG13 for nothing to the Lakers and let Melo walk, but they still have Russ locked up!

What happens next? You have a disgruntled star making so much money without the ability to add talent around them or the willingness to deal him to bring back $35M+ in (most likely) bad contracts.

These new supermaxes are going to crush teams eventually, and I believe that was the point of them, so you can’t have 3-4 max guys together anymore. Some may have 2, but 3 seems impossible even if the cap balloons. Parity may be around the corner.

I don’t even think the Warriors can keep their core very much longer. Will the C’s be able to extend Marcus? Then give Kyrie a new contract while doing the same for Brown/Tatum. All while finding a way to retain Horford?

So either we go back to the days of one- or two-star teams or the NBA eventually going to an even more lenient soft cap.

My post was misleading. I'm not saying it's good or bad that the saddled up to Westbrook, just that it was the main goal.

I agree it probably wasn't the best look.Westbrook will not be the same player he is now once he is getting 35 or 40 million a year. His athleticism has to wane at some point, and when it does, his game will drop a bit.
#JKJB

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Rather have Brown or Tatum.   Their young legs and energy is important.   The old guys want to skip the regular season and just play during the playoffs. 

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Rather have Brown or Tatum.   Their young legs and energy is important.   The old guys want to skip the regular season and just play during the playoffs.
The trade this summer was Crowder, Smart, and Boston's 2018 1st. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
I would rather have Paul George than Hayward. Not saying that Hayward is a bad player, but I still think George is the better player of the two.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would rather have Paul George than Hayward. Not saying that Hayward is a bad player, but I still think George is the better player of the two.
Boston could have had both (though wouldn't have been able to make the Irving trade). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tbh disagree with that. Next to Kyrie I'd prefer Hayward
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd like to have George but not at the expense of Kyrie or Hayward and certainly not if he would have been a  1 yr rental.

I think if we would have got Butler and/or George back in the summer there is no way we would have got Kyrie.  Phew.  A lucky break just like that stupid trade proposal to get Winslow in the draft.  Thanks Jordan!  You saved Danny's ass.