Author Topic: I'm not feeling Kyle Draper  (Read 3694 times)

Re: I'm not feeling Kyle Draper
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 10:00:24 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The Draper/Scal combo bothered me.  Draper talked so much I think he thought he was on the radio having to describe everything.  Way too much descriptive, incessant talking for me.  And I know Scal likes to liven it up a bit but sometimes it was just over the top for me.  I actually said to myself during the game - "will u guys shut the f up and just talk about the game?".  They talked too much bs for me.

I know Tommy's over the hill but he's a C's treasure and I want him as long as it'll last.  And Mike is simply amazing.  I love listening to everything Mike Gorman has to say.  Yesterday was his 70th birthday.  I guess he took his birthday off?  Since the '60's I've hated most announcers in all the sports I watch.  There have been a few (very few) that I've enjoyed but I have to say Mike Gorman has been my all-time fav for all sports.

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 01:11:23 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Draper/Scal combo bothered me. Draper talked so much I think he thought he was on the radio having to describe everything.  Way too much descriptive, incessant talking for me.  And I know Scal likes to liven it up a bit but sometimes it was just over the top for me.  I actually said to myself during the game - "will u guys shut the f up and just talk about the game?".  They talked too much bs for me.

I know Tommy's over the hill but he's a C's treasure and I want him as long as it'll last.  And Mike is simply amazing.  I love listening to everything Mike Gorman has to say.  Yesterday was his 70th birthday.  I guess he took his birthday off?  Since the '60's I've hated most announcers in all the sports I watch.  There have been a few (very few) that I've enjoyed but I have to say Mike Gorman has been my all-time fav for all sports.
First bolded part: Kyle did talk a lot but not describing the game, perhaps that's what made it bothersome to you?  Scal was the color guy so is supposed to bring up other anecdotes besides the play-by-play.

Second bolded part: If you've been watching/listening since the 60's, then you certainly remember Johnny Most.  Much as Gorman is great, and a real pro, there was never anyone quite like Johnny.  He unabashedly bled green, every game.  Mike is far more diplomatic.

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
The Draper/Scal combo bothered me. Draper talked so much I think he thought he was on the radio having to describe everything.  Way too much descriptive, incessant talking for me.  And I know Scal likes to liven it up a bit but sometimes it was just over the top for me.  I actually said to myself during the game - "will u guys shut the f up and just talk about the game?".  They talked too much bs for me.

First bolded part: Kyle did talk a lot but not describing the game, perhaps that's what made it bothersome to you?  Scal was the color guy so is supposed to bring up other anecdotes besides the play-by-play.

Second bolded part: If you've been watching/listening since the 60's, then you certainly remember Johnny Most.  Much as Gorman is great, and a real pro, there was never anyone quite like Johnny.  He unabashedly bled green, every game.  Mike is far more diplomatic.

Sorry I didn't get to hear/see Most.  I'm from Ohio and its always been out of the area for me.  I think I started watching Mike and Tommy during the '80's when I started getting DirecTV.  And as far as Most being a homer - that's fine by me.  I like homers.  That's why I've always preferred to watch my teams' announcers in every sport. 

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
better than tanguay or anyone else they've had fill in for Gorman over the yr's.

Is Bob Cousy that bad?

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Judging by some of these comments, people seem to not know the difference between the Play-By-Play Commentator and the Color Commentator, which is puzzling.

I think Draper did well considering this was his first game. He’ll develop go-to calls that are better than, “Bang Bang Bang” and fanboying Kyrie. I also appreciate his clearly wanting the C’s to win but not in an annoying way.

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I know its his first time doing commentary but he's not doing his job as the play-by-play commentator. All I hear was "Mmmmmm" or "bang bang bang" everytime Cs scores a bucket. No coverage on plays they are running like "Horford, looking, looking, pass to Kyrie, Smart posting up, etc."
Every time the C's hit a basket it sounded like someone activated Draper's vibrating underwear. I guess he gets a pass for this being his first game but if this is something he wants to do he's going to have to work on it.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
"Bang bang bang" was driving me insane
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I have to give Scal some credit. I started a thread ripping him but since I have signed up for NBA league pass and the local Boston channels he has really grown on me, especially in the studio where he is excellent. I can admit that I was wrong and he does a fine job filling in announcing the road games. Obviously not Tommy but nobody is filling those shoes.

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Didn't like Draper at all.  hopefully something that won't be repeated.

the one positive that came out of this was an even deeper appreciation for how great Mike Gorman is at calling a game.

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
better than tanguay or anyone else they've had fill in for Gorman over the yr's.

Is Bob Cousy that bad?
Bob Cousy is that old.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

Is Bob Cousy that bad?
Bob Cousy is that old.
Bob Cousy also never did play-by-play, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:42:51 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Is Bob Cousy that bad?
Bob Cousy is that old.
Bob Cousy also never did play-by-play, as far as I know.

But he did color while Tommy doing the play-by-play AFAIK.

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
You don't have to deal with Spanish announcers here. They pronounce badly Tatum, Yabusele, Ojeleye, Rozier and Theis.

Thirty rosters, thirty times this.