Author Topic: Why can't Marcus Smart Shoot?  (Read 2192 times)

Why can't Marcus Smart Shoot?
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Here is a youtube clip where Marcus claimed that he made a change to his shooting motion:
https://youtu.be/QuY0YOjdr6o

But compare his shooting percentages to his rookie season to last year and now:
Rookie  2PT 41.0% 3PT 33.5% FG 36.7% eFG 46.2%    --FT 64.6%
2016  2PT 42.0% 3PT 28.3% FG 35.9% eFG 42.2%     --FT 81.2%
2017 2PT 28.4% 3PT 24.4% FG 26.5% eFG 32.3%     --FT 76.4%

So what we have here is actual regression in Marcus Smart's shooting accuracy.  He has gotten worse at every metric of shooting except for free throws with career average is at 76.3%.  So as far as shooting form, he can't be that bad of a shooter to hit at that rate from the stripe.

However EVERY OTHER metric is DOWN!  2point percentage, 3point percentage, EFG, they have all regressed every year since his rookie year.  At this point is it all just in Smart's head?  We talk about how Lonzo Ball has a terrible shot and funky side of the head flinging shot motion, but he's not much worse than Marcus in terms of results!

And Marcus only really weird part of his shot is that he dips the ball way too low before starting his shooting motion.  His shooting motion should start with the ball at his face and then go up, he starts his motion more from his hip area.

Can anyone explain to us what the hell is going on with Marcus Smart's shot?  How can it get progressively WORSE each year he has been in the league since his rookie year?

Why did Marcus look good shooting in preseason but now it's gone all to hell in the regular season?

https://youtu.be/QCnr4f-o8mQ

Answers and theories please!

Re: Why can't Marcus Smart Shoot?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:25:58 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
My guess is all of his energy is spent on defense and other non-stat aspects of the game.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:40:23 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Answers and theories please!

There've been a dozen threads like this the last couple months. Plenty of answers and theories in them.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 09:59:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Shooting is a skill just like any other.  Inherent ability, in this case being able to repeat the motion consistently, differs by player.  It’s also something that is ingrained very early in a guys development.   

Some guys, no matter how much they practice, will NEVER be good shooters.  This is relative of course.  Marcus would likely out-shoot 90% of competitive basketball players in an empty gym. 

But marcus will likely will never be a good shooter.  That’s just the way it is.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 10:01:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
his form is decent enough to make em, does he finish properly? his free throws could be  helped out too... its probably  also shot selection.   he seems to make shots usually in warm ups though.

what is baffling is the dramatic decline in his shooting percentages.. also the fac that he cant make it from anywhere. he cant finish at the rim, no 3, no mid range.  you would think with coaching and training he would learn to shoot better not worse.... avery bradley was a bad shooter and he became respectable, above average in some areas of the court now. rondo even got respectable in some places.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 10:22:40 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
When Smart stays within the form he worked on in preseason, he's ok.

Often, he throws the ball up without his feet or his arms in correct form. There's a classic photo of Smart falling out of bounds while chucking a shot towards the rim, one foot hanging in the air, one arm going up, the other down....kind of his MO.

If you like, just focus on him during a game, ignore the other action. He knows the opponent and he knows where the ball is going and he, unlike Rozier, does not waste motion. Been like this since he got here...why coach has him on the court when the money is on the line. 

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Forgive the wacky comparison, but it may have something to do with "slipping back into old habits"

I played amateur darts for a while. I made an adjustment to my throw, and it took a long time to stick. Especially in difficult situations, my old habits would re-appear.

Hopefully, Marcus will continue to work on it during practice and more and more integrate his summer learnin's into his stroke
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 10:30:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He has hands of stone.  Just lacks the shooting touch.  It also seems like weaknesses (X or Y) tend to become even more pronounced in a highly competitive environment with others who are very good at X or Y.   
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 10:35:19 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
guys guys guys I think I have it...

THE MONSTARS STOLE HIS SHOOTING ABILITY!
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Love Marcus Smart. I think he has potential to be a decent shooter in the league. Games like this where he displays good touch, and his only miss bounced off the rim twice, only vindicate CBS ongoing faith in him.

Guys who average a good steal rate have a statistical correlation to guys who improve their shooting percentage throughout their career -- some say this is due to hand-eye coordination.

I'll buy anyone's Marcus Smart's stock. I'll take it all.

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Can we also stop bringing up Avery as a comp.  Bradley was always a good shooter.  Look at his scouting report coming into the league.  His early shooting was a case of the jitters and low sample size.  Marcus is a different case altogether.

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 11:00:35 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He is a smart player and he works hard.  He is still young and I believe in him.  It's a long season and I want to see how he looks after more of it.

One thing that needs to be said is he is a really good passer now.  I like when he has the ball and Kyrie is off ball quite a bit and he does a good job in the pick and roll.  His bounce pass to Baynes tonight in the Pacers game was fantastic.  People often talk about how they are so surprised for example the offense is good even when he has been shooting like this, and that's probably a big part why. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 11:09:39 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Going 1-2 today, Marcus now joins Lonzo at the bottom of the ESPN stat sheet.

And, just so everyone knows, if Marcus goes 5-5 next week, his % will leapfrog Wiggins from 3.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
My guess is all of his energy is spent on defense and other non-stat aspects of the game.

Smart wears down the other team, creates extra possessions, and makes big plays in the clutch.
I love Smart.

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 05:38:12 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Smart 7-8 last night from the field.  Let's hope this is the start of improved shooting for the rest of the year.