Author Topic: College football 2017  (Read 4112 times)

College football 2017
« on: November 25, 2017, 08:02:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well that was a pretty interesting season. Bama goes down right before the SEC Championship game and now probably won't get into the playoff. That's incredible.

And Miami went down too.

Re: College football 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:07:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This whole season has been CRAZY.

It will get even more crazier if TCU beats Oklahoma AND/OR Ohio State beats Wisconsin next week. (Regarding the playoffs and who makes Top-4)

Still, I think they need to expand the playoffs to 8 teams honestly.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It will get even more crazier if TCU beats Oklahoma AND/OR Ohio State beats Wisconsin next week. (Regarding the playoffs and who makes Top-4)

This is a great example of a season that needed an 8 team playoff.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:20:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I find it interesting Fowler and Herbstreit are doing the Notre Dame game instead of The Game.  I suppose that probably means Flutie got the day off.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

This is a great example of a season that needed an 8 team playoff.

Exactly.

We could see 2 teams from same conference in the playoffs depending on how next week's games go, which to be honest seems kind of unfair for some of the other conferences. An 8-team playoff could fix that and allow for some parity as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 08:22:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
-playoffs need to be 8 or 16 deep
-corruption needs to end. how is mississippi state ranked so high? oh right, to keep alabama and other SEC teams strength of schedule high. they can all lose 2 games and still make the playoffs because of things like this
- undefeated UCF needs to be ranked way higher, maybe even higher than 2 loss teams and others like Ohio state. its unfair.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The SEC is nowhere near as good as they pretend to be.  They talk about strength of schedule and then schedule Mercer.

They only have 3 teams with respectable records right now, and all the others are very pedestrian, with certain flagship teams bowl ineligible.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 08:30:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I find it interesting Fowler and Herbstreit are doing the Notre Dame game instead of The Game.  I suppose that probably means Flutie got the day off.
the game was on Fox.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Memo to Ohio State.....you are not Bama....Love..everyone that follows college football

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Memo to Ohio State.....you are not Bama....Love..everyone that follows college football
Nope.  And Meyer isn't Saban.   Hard to claim you're a top 4 team when you lose to Iowa by 31 without any excuses.   

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 01:48:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think they got the right four teams, but an eight team playoff has to be next, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think they got the right four teams, but an eight team playoff has to be next, right?
They got it right but just say NO to an 8 team playoff. 

The regular season will become pretty meaningless.  There are rarely 4 teams that deserve a shot at the Championship.  The previous two seasons Alabama and Clemson were clearly the class of the field and we got two great Championship games after dud semifinals.  Adding another round just adds more chance of significant injuries to the top teams. 

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 08:46:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
They got it right but just say NO to an 8 team playoff. 

The regular season will become pretty meaningless.  There are rarely 4 teams that deserve a shot at the Championship.  The previous two seasons Alabama and Clemson were clearly the class of the field and we got two great Championship games after dud semifinals.  Adding another round just adds more chance of significant injuries to the top teams.
I'd be ok with going to 6.  Just put some requirements on the conference champions (must be in top 8 or something like that) and maybe a lesser one or a minor 5 champion (must be in top 10 or 12 or something like that) and just go from there.  Give the top 2 seeds a bye.

So this year the 5 conference champs would be in and then Alabama or Central Florida depending on the requirements for the minor 5 champion. 

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 09:02:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
As a Buckeye fan I obviously think they got it wrong because I can't see how anyone could say that Alabama was "unequivocally" better than Ohio State.  Better I can see, but unequivocally, I just don't get it and they had to find Alabama unequivocally better or Ohio State would have gone as a conference champion (the main tie breaker). 

Alabama beat 2 ranked teams, LSU at home which finished 17th and has a loss to Troy and Mississippi State who finished ranked 23rd.  It lost to the 7th ranked team by double digits.  Any time Alabama played a true road game against a mediocre or better team it struggled.  It beat A&M by just 8, beat MSU by just 7 after trailing much of the game, and then lost at Auburn.  This isn't the powerhouse Alabama of prior years, and the SEC on the whole was pretty bad this year.  Outside of the top 3 teams, it was Just a train wreck of a conference filled with mediocre coaches and mediocre teams (which is why half the conference is looking for coaches). 

Obviously OSU's loss at Iowa was a disaster and the reason OSU is out, but the committee has consistently favored victories to losses and OSU has 2 top ten victories i.e. Wisconsin at 6 and Penn State at 9 in addition to 16th ranked Michigan State.  In other words, 3 victories over teams higher ranked than Alabama's best win.  And while that Iowa game was a disaster, it was the week after the Penn State game and on the road.  The SEC supporters are quick to point out the let down after a tough game (i.e. Auburn losing at Georgia because of the Alabama game), but seem to ignore it for other conferences (PSU also lost the week after the OSU game).  And Iowa didn't have a great season, but did beat Iowa St. on the road (remember they are OU's only loss) and basically only lost to ranked teams (Iowa really got the scheduling shaft playing not just OSU, but also PSU and MSU from the East).

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I believe today is the first ever official early signing period for recruits, which means today has become the new de facto National Signing Day.

Previously National Signing Day for recruits was after the all star games (and technically still is) but that's about to become more of a footnote.