Author Topic: The Patriots Have Jumped the Shark  (Read 3900 times)

The Patriots Have Jumped the Shark
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:07:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I'm a lifelong Pats fan back to the Grogan QB days and I've obviously been loving their dynastic run for the duration of Brady's career, but I have to say, this past season was kind of obnoxious.  I see why people hate the Pats (beyond the constant winning).  I'm sure a fair amount of it is media driven, but I just can't stand all of the drama and ego.

Maybe it's inevitable. 
Yup

Re: The Patriots Have Jumped the Shark
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:11:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What are you talking about specifically?

I'm not sure what the Patriots have *done* recently, as separate from what the media has tried to make hay out of.

Tom Brady's Facebook show?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 09:15:58 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
ok fine

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:16:35 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm a lifelong Pats fan back to the Grogan QB days and I've obviously been loving their dynastic run for the duration of Brady's career, but I have to say, this past season was kind of obnoxious.  I see why people hate the Pats (beyond the constant winning).  I'm sure a fair amount of it is media driven, but I just can't stand all of the drama and ego.

Maybe it's inevitable.

Looks like the media worked if you feel this way.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I'm not sure what the Patriots have *done* recently, as separate from what the media has tried to make hay out of.

Honestly, I'm not sure what it is specifically.  More of a feeling that I had in my gut after they lost the Super Bowl this year.  Like they'd run their course and were now just hanging around just because that's what they're supposed to do.   
Yup

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Maybe it's inevitable.

Looks like the media worked if you feel this way.

I guess so.  Maybe I should just stop paying attention to the hype, because the hype annoys me. 
Yup

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 09:21:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 09:47:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Life long fan, like you Angry Clown, going back to the Sam the Bam Cunningham, Mike Haynes, Randy Vahata, Russ Francis, John Hannah days. We suffered for so long. The '76 roughing the passer penalty on Sam Adams vs Oakland in the playoffs(by the way, youngsters, probably the most talented Pats team ever), the 86 and 96 SBs. The absolutely horrible years before and in between.

We are a dynasty now. I apologize to no one for our success and am proud of this team to the end. Redz, we suffered for so long. We have earned these years.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 10:10:39 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Life long fan, like you Angry Clown, going back to the Sam the Bam Cunningham, Mike Haynes, Randy Vahata, Russ Francis, John Hannah days. We suffered for so long. The '76 roughing the passer penalty on Sam Adams vs Oakland in the playoffs(by the way, youngsters, probably the most talented Pats team ever), the 86 and 96 SBs. The absolutely horrible years before and in between.

We are a dynasty now. I apologize to no one for our success and am proud of this team to the end. Redz, we suffered for so long. We have earned these years.

My dad was at that playoff game in Oakland!  He had a picture of the scoreboard with the Oats leading in the 4th hanging in his office for years.  He took my brother and I too LA to see the Oats beat the Taiders in the playoffs en route to Super Bowl 29.  Aonyeh, I get it.  I just feel weird about the way things have become.  I feel like the drama got in the way of a title and that sits wrong.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 11:15:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Honestly, I'm not sure what it is specifically.  More of a feeling that I had in my gut after they lost the Super Bowl this year.  Like they'd run their course and were now just hanging around just because that's what they're supposed to do.
Kind of feel the same. Jaded by all the attention.  Was surprised by how unaffected I was by the Super Bowl loss.

Time for the next dynasty. The Celtics hopefully.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 11:35:13 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Pats are near the end of their most recent run of championship level teams. They've been picking at the bottom of the last several drafts and on top of that lost picks due to Deflategate. Belichick kept it going last year by piecing together a defense anchored by a good secondary but otherwise with a bunch of spare parts.

This stuff about guys not having fun....just watch.  I think Belichick will weed these guys out.  I do think he was in favor of unloading Brady and starting the rebuild this off season with Garoppolo as the cornerstone, but he doesn't own the team.  Guessing that may be the source of a lot of this 'tension'.

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 12:19:09 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Way too early to start writing them off.  I think there's still a couple more years of serious contending football, and one more SB win.