Author Topic: Does Jaylen Brown Have All-Star Talent?  (Read 4102 times)

Does Jaylen Brown Have All-Star Talent?
« on: November 24, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Anyone want to be a total mensch and quote the ESPN Insider article, besides the following:

Brown ranks second on the Celtics in points, minutes, rebounds and 3-pointers made per game while sitting fourth in the NBA in scoring average (16.1) among players under 22 years old. He has had an excellent start to his sophomore season, which is something most statistical models would not have predicted when the Celtics drafted Brown third overall in 2016 after a single year at California.

How has he done it, will it last, and what does this strong start mean for his NBA ceiling?

Re: Does Jaylen Brown Have All-Star Talent?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
All star potential. Talent isn’t all there yet but he has the tools, great coaching, winning environment, playoff experience, and is set up nicely to become an all star.  His shot has become respectable. His handles could use a bit of work but not terrible. Other small things to fix

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:54:01 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
All star potential. Talent isn’t all there yet but he has the tools, great coaching, winning environment, playoff experience, and is set up nicely to become an all star.  His shot has become respectable. His handles could use a bit of work but not terrible. Other small things to fix

TP, thanks. I think if Brown could make 60% of his shots at the rim this year he’d be averaging at least 18 PPG

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

TP, thanks. I think if Brown could make 60% of his shots at the rim this year he’d be averaging at least 18 PPG

Add a point per game if his FT% were at 80%.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Are these all things you think can improve over time? It’s bizarre to me that Marcus Smart can be a dead-eye FT shooter but a bad jump shooter. Yet Brown has a decent stroke and can’t make a FT.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I think he's got a better chance of making multiple All-Defense teams than multiple All-Star teams.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
He definitely has the physical tools and the Mindset.. And he seems to be almost a year ahead of schedule..  He just needs to continue putting it together..

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He could become a great all around player his defense has been very good and he seems to be very competitive.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The article said that Stevens system enabled Brown to outperform the relatively low projections that stat models predicted.

Also said it would be difficult for him to make an all star team ahead of Irving, Hayward or even Tatum.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 07:23:36 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
He will be a good FT shooter when he stops thinking about FT shooting too much and let them flow naturally, as he's doing with his jumpers.

And of course he has all-star talent and determination. The question is if he will keep developing it as the season/years go by.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see Jimmy Butler with a 3 point shot. That's not only All-Star but All-NBA(not necessarily 1st team). But thats still a few years away. His intelligence, work ethic and drive to be better make me believe he will take another big jump forward in a year or two.

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think so .  Even if his skills need honing . Seems  He has the mental drive that will not allow himself to be anything but the best version of himself.

He will force himself to that level .  He has true high expectations.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
To me, Jaylen's ceiling is 23-25 PPG scorer, and a guy who can rack 5-6 assists and 7-8 rebounds a game. But best of all, he will also be an ELITE two-way player.

Sort of like Jimmy Butler except with slightly better 3 pt. shooting and more athleticism, if that makes sense.

As for his likelihood for making an All Star game this year, I think as of now, he won't, but if he can increase his scoring average a tick, up to 18-20 PPG, and maintain his 7 rebounds/game, he has a decent shot.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
To me, Jaylen's ceiling is 23-25 PPG scorer, and a guy who can rack 5-6 assists and 7-8 rebounds a game. But best of all, he will also be an ELITE two-way player.

Not the assists. He's a pretty poor passer.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Not the assists. He's a pretty poor passer.

Well, that's why I call it his "ceiling".

I compare Jaylen a lot to Jimmy Buckets, and even with Butler, his passing was somewhat poor to begin with and he only averaged like 2 assists/game his first three years. But his passing improved and now he averages like 4-6 assists/game.

I agree though, and do think there's clearly room for improvement for Jaylen in that department.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller