Author Topic: Forsberg: Isaiah who? Irving is Boston’s new king of Clutch  (Read 2404 times)

Re: Forsberg: Isaiah who? Irving is Boston’s new king of Clutch
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 05:51:02 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yeah I'm not ready to close the book on IT's time here in BOS.

Loving Kyrie Irving, but we need to get past CLE and LeBron James before I even begin to close the book on IT's time here.

Love ALL of Forsberg's work but not ready to forget IT.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 05:57:08 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
IT gets a ton of respect.  He's the best offensive player in NBA history under 6' (unless Iverson was really under 6'), he's earned a great reputation as a player and teammate, and he'll have earned himself a great payday after this season.  He has a legit shot (probably better than Kyrie) at an NBA championship this season and there was a great chance that he would not have returned to Boston after this season as Boston probably would not have paid the max for him.  IT was complicit in his Boson departure.  He clearly a promoted himself as the "King in the 4th" (the look at the watch in the 4th gave him notoriety while his consistent performance cemented it) and he was crystal clear that he want someone to "back up the Brinks Truck".  If IT was planning to take a hometown discount, he sure wasn't making it appear that way.   

IT has been lauded by the C's ownership, management, former teammates and fans for his efforts.  BUT... he is not Kyrie Irving, just as KI is not Lebron James.  Forsberg is saying "Isaiah Who?" just indicates the truth -- that after 20 games, the C's do not miss Isaiah Thomas on the court.  This doesn't mean he wasn't loved and doesn't mean he wasn't highly respected for his accomplishments here. 

And as a result of those accomplishments someone will indeed back up the Brinks Truck.
Again, Forsberg probably never wrote those words.

Edit: From forsberg himself
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/934232081269448704
👀

(I don’t write headlines but i’ll take the grief. No Celtics fan is going to forget what IT did any time soon)

It's widely known in journalism that writers don't choose headlines, editors do.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
The current players in this franchise stand on the shoulders of giants.

IT, irrespective of his height, was one of those giants.

Thank you, IT.

But for you, this team would not be what it is today.

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I dont know about the "IT who" comment. IT is like early Pierce, flawed but full of great moments, IT gave his all. Irving so far is out playing what IT did but IT changed the attitude of we are turning the corner. No need to suggest IT is forgettable.

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2017, 06:45:39 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
IT gets a ton of respect.  He's the best offensive player in NBA history under 6' (unless Iverson was really under 6'), he's earned a great reputation as a player and teammate, and he'll have earned himself a great payday after this season.  He has a legit shot (probably better than Kyrie) at an NBA championship this season and there was a great chance that he would not have returned to Boston after this season as Boston probably would not have paid the max for him.  IT was complicit in his Boson departure.  He clearly a promoted himself as the "King in the 4th" (the look at the watch in the 4th gave him notoriety while his consistent performance cemented it) and he was crystal clear that he want someone to "back up the Brinks Truck".  If IT was planning to take a hometown discount, he sure wasn't making it appear that way.   

IT has been lauded by the C's ownership, management, former teammates and fans for his efforts.  BUT... he is not Kyrie Irving, just as KI is not Lebron James.  Forsberg is saying "Isaiah Who?" just indicates the truth -- that after 20 games, the C's do not miss Isaiah Thomas on the court.  This doesn't mean he wasn't loved and doesn't mean he wasn't highly respected for his accomplishments here. 

And as a result of those accomplishments someone will indeed back up the Brinks Truck.
Again, Forsberg probably never wrote those words.

Edit: From forsberg himself
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/934232081269448704
👀

(I don’t write headlines but i’ll take the grief. No Celtics fan is going to forget what IT did any time soon)

It's widely known in journalism that writers don't choose headlines, editors do.

Definitely is unnecessarily snarky to headline the article "Isaiah Who?" but I do think it's true that the transition to Irving (including in the 4th) has been smooth enough for fans to be looking enthusiastically ahead with Kyrie rather than mourning the departure of IT.