Author Topic: *ROY with Asterisk  (Read 3203 times)

*ROY with Asterisk
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:08:42 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
 *****Should ROY differ from draft year
Gives player a year watching film which Simmons credits with his early success
weight room and trainers

Simmons 21
Tatum is 19

Tatum avg  5.9 rebounds to simmons 9.1
Tatum avg 14.2 pts to simmons 18.5
Tatum avg 1.5 Ast to Simmons 7.7
Tatum has less steals per game ,less blocks per game
Tatum shoots ,481% from three with a .494 fg %  simmons shoots .00% from three and .513fg%
Tatum from foul line shoots .849% while simmons shoots .556 %

Foul shooting is such a critical part of winning in close games and being unable to hit threes are serious flaws
Between sitting out a year,making no three point shots and making only .55% of foul shots-
Jaylens rebounding over last three games has doubled ,he has consistently scored in double figures(all but two games)less his injury after 5 minutes.And has been instrumental in a 16 win streak
SO IS IT SIMMONS WITH AN ASTERIK and some huge flaws but my vote goes to a true rookie a CELTIC without any gaping holes in his game is shooting an incredible .481% from three is doubling up in rebounds over last three games and played a critical part in 16 straight wins

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:32:32 PM by Redz »

Re: ROY with asterik
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 09:11:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No disagree rollie.  Simmons is a legit rookie.  I cannot give credit to what he did during that year of sitting, regardless of what he says.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m divided on this, but ultimately think the league has it right. Rookie = first year of playing NBA games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 09:31:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I feel the players are close enough that if the 76ers don't have a winning record and C's finish with best record at the end of the season Tatum should win it. As of right now Id make them co ROY. Tatum is incredibly efficient and polished. Simmons is very active and uniquely skilled. Both deserve a ton of credit for first year players.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:35:06 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I respectfully disagree that extra year of strength training and physical maturity is an unfair advantage.   It is bad luck if you get injured and can't get it your rookie year.

Rookies should be guys who get drafted the previous year.   Both Rollie and myself have played basketball past high school.   Have either of you, too? 

If you did you would know what an edge it is to be 21 instead of 19 in terms of physical maturity.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 09:39:31 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Not saying he shouldn't be eligible, but he can't be judged as the rest either.

So maybe have a penalty of 5 votes towards the tally, if not the current year. But you can't say that extra year of learning and training, even if he is not playing is worth nothing.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I believe I was the first person on the Tatum bandwagon, saying I would take him with the first pick if the Celtics got the pick, it’s amazing that he is only 19.  Knowing what motivates him, I think if he doesn’t win ROY he might come back next year and compete for MVP.  I do think he deserves ROY as he is doing it on the best team in the NBA.  How scary good is this team going to be when GH returns from his injury next year and JB and Tatum get more experience.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:59:00 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If Tatum wasn't that good nobody would even care
If the second NBA Season rookie was a Celtic nobody would care
Tatum is a rookie, Simmons is a rookie Teodosic is a rookie.....

It's been like this since ever! Sabonis at the tender age of +30 was ROY runner!

Tatum is great so far but Simmons is better. Deal with it

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 10:10:43 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If Tatum wasn't that good nobody would even care
If the second NBA Season rookie was a Celtic nobody would care
Tatum is a rookie, Simmons is a rookie Teodosic is a rookie.....

It's been like this since ever! Sabonis at the tender age of +30 was ROY runner!

Tatum is great so far but Simmons is better. Deal with it

Everybody loves a tough guy  ::)

Anyway, I don't see any other way around it but to keep it the way it is. Simmons easily would have won ROY last year if he were healthy and he seems to be the best 'rookie' this year. While I think it is a little unfair to players in a particular rookie class, he still had not yet played against NBA players in real competition. Also, he is still younger than a # of players in this class.

What Tatum is doing on a winning team is incredibly impressive and likely more important down the road (playing within a system)...that is unless Simmons is the next Lebron - then he is free to pad his stats as much as he'd like.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I don't care, but no, he's not a rookie. He was under contract and paid by Philly last year. Doesn't hurt my feelings if Jayson doesn't win ROY, but no, Simmons isn't a rookie, just as Embid wasn't last year.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I have no issues with a rookie being a guy who plays his first game, but I'd also be ok with changing the rule to 1st year on a nba contract so guys that are drafted but only play in GLeague or Europe would still be rookies their first year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 11:05:32 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Even though he didnt play, Simmons had an extra year of NBA development/weight training etc. while Tatum was playing in college. of course he is going to have a head start. im sure tatum will come back bigger next year as well with more offensive game

it is essentially as if we judge Jaylen on this year vs. last.

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 11:45:16 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
If you did you would know what an edge it is to be 21 instead of 19 in terms of physical maturity.

So then should older rookies be discounted from winning? Malcolm Brogdon was a 23 year old rookie afterall. It's a slippery slope.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

So then should older rookies be discounted from winning? Malcolm Brogdon was a 23 year old rookie afterall. It's a slippery slope.
exactly.  And in the old days Tatum and Simmons would both still be in college.  Should we give an asterisk to anyone who earns a degree?  They will likely be older than Simmons is.

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

exactly.  And in the old days Tatum and Simmons would both still be in college.  Should we give an asterisk to anyone who earns a degree?  They will likely be older than Simmons is.
the bigger advantage is being able to train with an nba team for a whole year
I trust Danny Ainge