Author Topic: Without Net Neutrality this site will take forever to load  (Read 4419 times)

Re: Without Net Neutrality this site will take forever to load
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2017, 04:32:55 PM »

Offline matteo

• Gordon Hayward
  • Tommy Points: 140
Subway just made a deal with Comcast and now my sandwich shops website, menu, phone number and location canít be accessed online by Comcast users.  Comcast is the only option in my area so my business is effectively dead.

I hate all of you who support the repeal of this bill. It ruined my business.

hate is reciprocated

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2017, 04:58:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2409
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Subway just made a deal with Comcast and now my sandwich shops website, menu, phone number and location canít be accessed online by Comcast users.  Comcast is the only option in my area so my business is effectively dead.

I'm from Subway and we'd like your shop to know that now that our shackles are loosed we will never stop. We would also like to add that this is not business, it is very personal. There is nothing you can possess that we cannot take away. Welcome to hell. Eat fresh.

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5203

I was under the impression nothing would be done for a couple of months.

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2017, 06:19:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27936
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

Yeah, Iím not really buying this as a consequence of net neutrality, especially since itís illegal under several Federal laws.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2017, 07:22:26 PM »

Offline byennie

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 238

Yeah, Iím not really buying this as a consequence of net neutrality, especially since itís illegal under several Federal laws.

It's more likely that suddenly Netflix sucks, and Comcast on-demand magically becomes faster. Or Comcast buys Hulu, raises your basic bill by $5, and charges by the GB for downloads from every other video site. That way you're either paying for Hulu, or paying extra to access Netflix. Lose-lose.

But, the Subway example is also totally valid. Your ISP is now perfectly capable of bundling and throttling whatever access they want. Yelp owned by a competitor? Oops. That's gonna be a problem. Use our service, which conveniently doesn't list franchises owned by our corporate competitor.
---
Lucky17 Yahoo! Points League: Jackalopes
Offseason Tracker

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Here is an interesting read on the topic:

https://www-yahoo-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/tech/apos-father-internet-apos-skewers-051650834.html

The more and more I look at this, i am feeling itís designed to undermine our first amendment by slowing to a crawl decenting voices & fast-laning corporate propaganda.  Wondering out loud what kind service Putinís troll factory will end up with?

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2017, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2409
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I uh, read it as a joke because of just that. If I was wrong sorry incoherent!

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2017, 07:56:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It's more likely that suddenly Netflix sucks, and Comcast on-demand magically becomes faster. Or Comcast buys Hulu, raises your basic bill by $5, and charges by the GB for downloads from every other video site. That way you're either paying for Hulu, or paying extra to access Netflix. Lose-lose.

But, the Subway example is also totally valid. Your ISP is now perfectly capable of bundling and throttling whatever access they want. Yelp owned by a competitor? Oops. That's gonna be a problem. Use our service, which conveniently doesn't list franchises owned by our corporate competitor.

Except those things are mostly illegal. They were before 2015, and they still are today.

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2017, 08:09:38 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Except those things are mostly illegal. They were before 2015, and they still are today.

Seems difficult to enforce.  Who is the watchdog? 

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Seems difficult to enforce.  Who is the watchdog?

The Federal Trade Commission, among others.  I believe that the Sherman Act and the Clayton Act also allow private causes of action for both damaged consumers and competitors.

The existing antitrust laws have a lot of teeth, and are used every day.

Re: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2017, 08:51:28 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Net Neutrality = Free speach

This ranks right up there with "access to the internet should be a right" as some of the dumbest crap I've heard in recent times.

I swear I think half this country doesn't have the slightest clue what the difference between a right and a privilege is.

You have the right to purchase the privilege to access the internet if you can afford it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Okay, maybe I need to explain more. 

I agree with your philosophy, but itís the application that I think you may be misunderstanding.  Let me use the ESPN/Ringer example again, because they are competing pages and one has a lot more backing than the other. 

This new ruling would allow ESPN to cut a deal with ISPís to effectively blackball the Ringer by slowing their websites bandwidth to a crawl.  And while normally I agree in the pay-to-play concept ó as a consumer you wonít get to make that choice under this ruling.  Corporations will choose for you.

Another example, letís say you live in left-leaning MA where only Comcast provides a connection online. How would you feel if Comcast cuts a deal with MSNBC to put the brakes on Fox News.  Now,
When you at home go online, search for Fox, you find a webpage that just wonít refresh or takes excessively long to load, effectively censoring the content you would like to consume.

Again, as a consumer, you donít get to purchase access to content. 

No matter how much $$ you are willing to pay for your service, itís just not your call anymore.

Comcast, Time Warner et al are the ones that will decide for you what websites are accessible, and what webpages are slowed to a crawl.  They will be allowed to prioritize this, not you or I.

Now I donít know about you, but most people I know rely on the Internet for a lot of information and world views.  The fiber in the ground that carries this data was built through PUBLIC funding in most cases, so itís not as if ISPís are selling access to something they invested their own $$ to build.  We built it, with our tax dollars, and now they want to privatize/profit off our infrastructure and control the content you and I can reach.  Iím reminded of the situation in China, where govít restricts their ISPís to only show some 15-20 websites to their citizens while blocking off the rest. 

How is that a good direction for our country? 

Can you explain how this change benefits our country? 

I sincerely want to understand the GOP benefit analysis on this, as the FCC didnít even bother with an economic assessment before voting on this. 

Re: Re: So... Anyone else concerned about the war on free speech?
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This new ruling would allow ESPN to cut a deal with ISPís to effectively blackball the Ringer by slowing their websites bandwidth to a crawl.

No, it wouldnít. Thatís illegal under antitrust law.

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
This new ruling would allow ESPN to cut a deal with ISPís to effectively blackball the Ringer by slowing their websites bandwidth to a crawl.

Blocking them yes, slowing them down?   I donít believe you. 

Please prove me wrong.   Just saying ďnoĒ is not very compelling.

This ruling benefits very very few, at the expense of many.  Why is it a good idea in your view?

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2017, 10:21:33 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 483

Blocking them yes, slowing them down?   I donít believe you. 

Please prove me wrong.   Just saying ďnoĒ is not very compelling.

This ruling benefits very very few, at the expense of many.  Why is it a good idea in your view?

Yes.

And even tiny delays in websites loading are proven to cause massive loss in traffic and profits.

Some examples:
47% of consumers expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or less. Ľtweetę
40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load. Ľtweetę
A 1 second delay in page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions. Ľtweetę
If an e-commerce site is making $100,000 per day, a 1 second page delay could potentially cost you $2.5 million in lost sales every year. Ľtweetę

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/

« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 483
Here's a nice little article on how loading times affect web traffic and web revenue:

47% of consumers expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or less. Ľtweetę
40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load. Ľtweetę
A 1 second delay in page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions. Ľtweetę
If an e-commerce site is making $100,000 per day, a 1 second page delay could potentially cost you $2.5 million in lost sales every year. Ľtweetę

https://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/