Author Topic: Without Net Neutrality this site will take forever to load  (Read 1577 times)

Re: Without Net Neutrality this site will take forever to load
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 946
And the Democrat one, too.

Agree, Congressmen on both sides have generated a ton of wealth while in Congress.

Out of the top 50 weathiest in Congress about 16 of them if I counted correct were Democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_wealth

Some of them are big names                                         Networth in millions

Sen. Mark Warner   Democratic         Virginia                   90.85
Sen. Richard Blumenthal   Democratic   Connecticut           66.99
Sen. Dianne Feinstein   Democratic            California                   52.78
Rep. Alan Grayson   Democratic                Florida                   33.86
Rep. Nancy Pelosi   Democratic                California           29.35
Sen. Claire McCaskill   Democratic                Missouri           19.10
Rep. Joseph Kennedy III   Democratic   Massachusetts           18.64

Not that there is anything wrong with getting or staying wealthy but folks are naive if they think it is just one party.

You also know that there is some serious lobbying for this Net Neutrality.   I say it is not broke so don't fix it!   Keep it as it is now.   We got bigger problems and fish to fry in this country.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 706
Aren't current regulatory laws regarding the internet antithetical to free-market ideology and capitalism?  I can justify supporting the Obama era internet regulations because I believe the greater good is sometimes served by thoughtful and responsible government regululation.  But what would the justification be for ideologically consistent conservatives and libertarians to support Net Neutrality?

I suppose maybe you could argue that the development of the internet (and many other things in health, science, and technology) was really only possible through massive investments via public avenues, such as: nuclear program, space program, university research labs, etc, and therefore the public should own a large slice of those products. Unfortunately, that's not how we set up our system so far, so we have rich people who have gotten massively richer on the backs of an incredible public infrastructure, and now that they are rich they want to deny that the public infrastructure ever gave them anything and they want to take it all back.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 09:53:50 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
And the Democrat one, too.

Agree, Congressmen on both sides have generated a ton of wealth while in Congress.

Out of the top 50 weathiest in Congress about 16 of them if I counted correct were Democrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_wealth

Some of them are big names                                         Networth in millions

Sen. Mark Warner   Democratic         Virginia                   90.85
Sen. Richard Blumenthal   Democratic   Connecticut           66.99
Sen. Dianne Feinstein   Democratic            California                   52.78
Rep. Alan Grayson   Democratic                Florida                   33.86
Rep. Nancy Pelosi   Democratic                California           29.35
Sen. Claire McCaskill   Democratic                Missouri           19.10
Rep. Joseph Kennedy III   Democratic   Massachusetts           18.64

Not that there is anything wrong with getting or staying wealthy but folks are naive if they think it is just one party.

You also know that there is some serious lobbying for this Net Neutrality.   I say it is not broke so don't fix it!   Keep it as it is now.   We got bigger problems and fish to fry in this country.

Eh, you can't create a system that requires money in order to even join, then whine that everyone in the system has too much money. At some level, it becomes about policy.

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 5433
  • Yup ya do
Since we traded the Nets' pick, don't we already have Net Neutrality? 

I'm so cornfuzzled.

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 10:43:46 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1055
This thread is dripping with so much liberal arrogance, and condescension it's no wonder why those that don't agree with you hate your very existence. Why should someone even bother listening to people that act like this?

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
This thread is dripping with so much liberal arrogance, and condescension it's no wonder why those that don't agree with you hate your very existence. Why should someone even bother listening to people that act like this?

Another reliable conservative strategy of namecalling, blaming, deflecting, etc, all to avoid addressing the reality of republican policies of taking from something that is not broken, and giving more money, power, and money-making and power-making power to people who already have a lot of it

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders

Another reliable conservative strategy of namecalling, blaming, deflecting, etc, all to avoid addressing the reality of republican policies of taking from something that is not broken, and giving more money, power, and money-making and power-making power to people who already have a lot of it

Not a conservative, not a republican, nor a democrat, so there's that.

But yeah, just go on living in your own bubble thinking you are always right and everyone else is an idiot. Let me know how that works out for you.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 12:18:26 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Since we traded the Nets' pick, don't we already have Net Neutrality? 

I'm so cornfuzzled.
boom

Mic drop

/thread

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 946
  Another reliable conservative strategy of namecalling, blaming, deflecting, etc, all to avoid addressing the reality of republican policies of taking from something that is not broken, and giving more money, power, and money-making and power-making power to people who already have a lot of it.

Both of you are part of the problem not the solution.  Both are namecalling and labeling.   It is clear that one side doesn't have all the answers, heck it appears neither has the answers.  Call me crazy but I think both these parties have polarized matters and failed America.

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  Another reliable conservative strategy of namecalling, blaming, deflecting, etc, all to avoid addressing the reality of republican policies of taking from something that is not broken, and giving more money, power, and money-making and power-making power to people who already have a lot of it.

Both of you are part of the problem not the solution.  Both are namecalling and labeling.   It is clear that one side doesn't have all the answers, heck it appears neither has the answers.  Call me crazy but I think both these parties have polarized matters and failed America.

Yes, you're right. This was the point I was trying to show.  Two can play that game. It leads no where.

I don't have strong feeling on Net neutrality, but if someone was inclined to maybe disagree with the OP's view, they were most certainly driven away by a lot of the comments on the first page.

I don't have the answers, I haven't seen enough on the subject anyway, but people really need to stop and consider what the other side has to say, and give that person a platform as their peer.

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5170
I think this move would put more power and money into corporations. This country is quickly becoming a corporatocracy. Corporations are getting more and more power funnelled their way and changing the freedoms of the individual all under the name of making profits. The internet should be free, not controlled by corporations.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 268
Netflix, Amazon, Hulu,  HBO and others are going to need to acquire net providers or they are going to have many upset consumers when they start throttling shows like Game of Thrones and all other movies and tv shows. It is going to get ugly for consumers who don't have the spare cash to purchase non throttle options. Maybe a few of them will go into together and come up with their own solution. I am sure the wheels are turning already. Wait until you are streaming a Celtics game and a non Comcast provider decides time to throttle......Tatum goes   up   for a dunk    with    time    running      out.......

Any provider that throttles or charges more for better service will never have me as a consumer again. Millennials wont put up with it for long as well. Imagine the social outcry you will see.

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 01:53:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
I think this move would put more power and money into corporations. This country is quickly becoming a corporatocracy. Corporations are getting more and more power funnelled their way and changing the freedoms of the individual all under the name of making profits. The internet should be free, not controlled by corporations.

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by, "the Internet should be free", but assuming you mean the transmission of content, and not the content itself, I think there is merit in that discussion.

I guess it begs the question, should cable/phone/electrical lines be privately owned or publicly owned? There are obvious pros and cons there.

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5170

I'm not sure what you exactly mean by, "the Internet should be free", but assuming you mean the transmission of content, and not the content itself, I think there is merit in that discussion.

I guess it begs the question, should cable/phone/electrical lines be privately owned or publicly owned? There are obvious pros and cons there.
Yeah thats exactly what I meant.

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders

Yeah thats exactly what I meant.

And the obvious pro to the public owning the transmission lines would be that any provider could provide service anywhere in the country. The market would be more free and open to competition.

The con being the government isn't always very trustworthy with that amount of control of content we view. Also, it would require the use of eminent domain to 'buy up' all the transmission lines.