Author Topic: June 2019 - 5 max guys on one team?  (Read 4210 times)

Re: June 2019 - 5 max guys on one team?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 11:29:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I do think that getting to a finals, and especially winning one, in this or next season, is important.  Al has a player option in 2019 — does he exercise it?  Or does he decline it and sign at a lower amount to help keep together a championship team when the young guys have extensions coming up?  It’s a lot easier to make that pitch (take less to win titles) when you’ve already won one or got really close.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 11:36:28 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Rich people problems... ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 11:48:09 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I do think that getting to a finals, and especially winning one, in this or next season, is important.  Al has a player option in 2019 — does he exercise it?  Or does he decline it and sign at a lower amount to help keep together a championship team when the young guys have extensions coming up?  It’s a lot easier to make that pitch (take less to win titles) when you’ve already won one or got really close.

The optimist in me says Al's a good guy, gave up millions to stay in college another year so he could win another championship at Florida.  He values winning over money.

The pessimist in me asks why give up millions to keep the team together when Trader Danny is your GM and could ship you or the teammates you took a discount to play with out at any moment.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 11:48:28 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
How come we will have this problem but the freaking Golden State Warriors does not?...cann that team even sustain 4 max guys.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
How come we will have this problem but the freaking Golden State Warriors does not?...cann that team even sustain 4 max guys.
They do have this problem. They are paying 16 million dollars in tax this year, they would be paying more potentially if Durant had not taken less than his max allowed. (though maybe they cut other pieces in that case)

Furthermore Klay/Draymon signed extensions before the cap jump thus are making under $20 million dollars. After next season Klay will be a FA and require a huge deal and Durant will finally have bird rights with GSW and also be able to recieve a huge one at that point. Draymond's deal is up a year fater that.

If GSW gives the max to all 4 players they will pay a luxury tax bill of the likes the NBA has never seen as they will be easily into repeater tax at that point.

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Yeah, I have no doubt Kyrie will take a significant paycut.

Classic example of someone who wants to win at all costs. At the risk of dissing IT, I don't think we will ever see him discuss trucks which transport money to different financial institutions.

Bigger problem will be insuring Hayward doesn't get the same frustration that Kyrie got in Cleveland...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It does help that Horford and Hayward roll off as Brown and Tatum are extended but unless someone takes a hometown discount, our salary is going to be huge, just with the big 3 of Irving, Brown, Tatum plus the other 12 roster slots.

I wonder if Kyrie would take say $25M per season instead of $40M (like Durant)?  Hard to believe he would.  Tatum and Brown will have made "only" about $30M through the first 4 seasons so it seems tough to ask them to take a discount.

I don't know if Kyrie will take $25 million, but I know he can't get $40 million.  Based on realgm's $108 million cap estimate for 2019, Kyrie's max would only be 5/188 (though I assume he'd rather sign a short term deal that makes him a FA when he becomes eligible for the 35% max in 2020-21).  He wouldn't even be the highest salary on the team in 2019 (Hayward's $32.7 million would beat his $32.4 million)
won't he be eligible for a super max?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The goal must, MUST be to hold onto Kyrie, Hayward, Jaylen, and Jayson for the foreseeable future.

If $$ becomes an issue, hopefully Horford will be open to opting out of his current deal and re-signing for significantly less money annually over a longer term (e.g. 2-3 years).  But, as much as I love Horford, if he has to go in order to keep Kyrie, Gordon, Jaylen, and Jayson, so be it.

I want to watch Jaylen and Jayson playing together for the next 8-10 years.  Kyrie should be the face of the franchise for at least the next 5-6 years.  Gordon will hopefully be around as long as Brad is around, which should be for a while.

It will get expensive, but that's the benefit of being in a big market.  Ownership can and should be able to afford it as long as the team is good.

Danny will need to keep finding ways to add impact rookie contract guys, undrafted free agents, and underrated vets who can contribute.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Kyrie was not traded during his rookie contract thus he is not eligible for the supermax. His next deal will max out at 30% of the cap.

This is why Boogie was p---ed at the Kings, he thought they had a handshake deal to sign him to a DPE deal. The Pelicans cannot give him as big a deal due to the trade.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
It does help that Horford and Hayward roll off as Brown and Tatum are extended but unless someone takes a hometown discount, our salary is going to be huge, just with the big 3 of Irving, Brown, Tatum plus the other 12 roster slots.

I wonder if Kyrie would take say $25M per season instead of $40M (like Durant)?  Hard to believe he would.  Tatum and Brown will have made "only" about $30M through the first 4 seasons so it seems tough to ask them to take a discount.

I don't know if Kyrie will take $25 million, but I know he can't get $40 million.  Based on realgm's $108 million cap estimate for 2019, Kyrie's max would only be 5/188 (though I assume he'd rather sign a short term deal that makes him a FA when he becomes eligible for the 35% max in 2020-21).  He wouldn't even be the highest salary on the team in 2019 (Hayward's $32.7 million would beat his $32.4 million)

No.  Have to be with your current team 5 years before being eligible.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 01:32:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

The optimist in me says Al's a good guy, gave up millions to stay in college another year so he could win another championship at Florida.  He values winning over money.

The pessimist in me asks why give up millions to keep the team together when Trader Danny is your GM and could ship you or the teammates you took a discount to play with out at any moment.

That’s why I think the Celtics need to win.  Al needs to taste that winning and know it’s worth the risk.  No “we might win in the future” thoughts, but rather “we’re good enough to win now and keep winning.”

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 01:51:27 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Saltlover,

Looking at that 2019/2020 season, if Kyrie opts out - what is his starting salary?  Is it 30% of the projected 117 million salary cap for 2020?

Hayward  32.7
Kyrie  35.1
Horford 30.1  (Could opt out)
Tatum  7.8
Brown 6.5
Yabusele 3.1
Rozier  4.3  (Qualifying Offer)
Nader  1.6
Ojeleye  1.6
LAL/SAC pick  6.0  (Guess)
-----------------------
$128.8 million  for 10 players

RealGM is projecting a salary cap of  $108 in 2020 that sounds more realistic, with a luxury tax threshold at $131 million.  That would put Kyrie at 32.4 and the total for 10 players at $126.1 mil.

So really the only way to keep Smart is to go over the luxury tax and/or hope Al will renegotiate for a longer deal at less money? No way we can keep Morris or Baynes.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 01:52:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

No.  Have to be with your current team 5 years before being eligible.

great news!

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
Your title is 100% incorrect and misleading.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Saltlover,

Looking at that 2019/2020 season, if Kyrie opts out - what is his starting salary?  Is it 30% of the projected 117 million salary cap for 2020?

Hayward  32.7
Kyrie  35.1
Horford 30.1  (Could opt out)
Tatum  7.8
Brown 6.5
Yabusele 3.1
Rozier  4.3  (Qualifying Offer)
Nader  1.6
Ojeleye  1.6
LAL/SAC pick  6.0  (Guess)
-----------------------
$128.8 million  for 10 players

RealGM is projecting a salary cap of  $108 in 2020 that sounds more realistic, with a luxury tax threshold at $131 million.  That would put Kyrie at 32.4 and the total for 10 players at $126.1 mil.

So really the only way to keep Smart is to go over the luxury tax and/or hope Al will renegotiate for a longer deal at less money? No way we can keep Morris or Baynes.

If (when) Kyrie opts out in the summer of 2019, the projected cap is $108 million, so 30% of that number, or $32.4 million. Luxury tax should be about $131 million that year.  Keeping Smart beyond next season at the qualifying offer pretty much guarantees the luxury tax, and even if he leaves its probable.