Author Topic: Lavar: “Lakers don’t know how to coach my son”  (Read 4655 times)

Re: Lavar: “Lakers don’t know how to coach my son”
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 12:00:36 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I look forward to the day when Lonzo realizes he's the only money maker in the family. The siblings aren't NBA players, and Lavar can't be "dad" forever when Lonzo is 25, 30 years old.

Lonzo has talent and seems like a genuinely nice kid, and I hope he succeeds despite the Lakers connection.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 12:20:49 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Whenever I see this guy on TV - which, thankfully, rarely happens - all I can think of is, well, this, hehe -

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I look forward to the day when Lonzo realizes he's the only money maker in the family. The siblings aren't NBA players, and Lavar can't be "dad" forever when Lonzo is 25, 30 years old.

Lonzo has talent and seems like a genuinely nice kid, and I hope he succeeds despite the Lakers connection.
LaMelo is a NBA player.  He is the 7th ranked recruit in 2019 by ESPN.  His rating is a 95.  As a comparison, Lonzo was rated 4th with a 96 rating. 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2019/order/true

That said, he should publically tell his dad to shut the hell up. 

As for this topic, the one that seemingly doesn't know how to coach Lonzo is Lavar.  I mean I don't think Lonzo taught himself that awful shooting motion or the lack of defense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 08:29:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It begins

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21507969/lavar-ball-wants-los-angeles-lakers-tougher-lonzo-ball

"They're soft. They don't know how to coach my son," Ball told the website during a recent interview. "I know how to coach him. I tell him to go get the victory. Stop messing around."

LaVar Ball said he does not take issue with the job Lakers coach Luke Walton has done during the team's 7-10 start to the season.

We avoided this dumpster fire of a family   ;D he’s already trying to get Walton fired

yes he is...he only cares about getting sons game off

he want the Lakers to be run by someone like Dantoni

Have Lonzo rebound and run run run

But Walton is not working his system this way and a good chunk of it, is half court basketbal

somenething Lonzo is not good at with his crappy shot

three possible outcomes

1. Magic tells Lavar to shut up
2. Magic fires Walton
3. Lonzo is traded or eventually rookie option not picked up.

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
31% Fg% and 23% from 3pt.  Yeah, the coaching is pretty bad.

I think Lonzo still has a lot of promise though.  LaVar, not so much promise.

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I know this is counter-intuitive and dangerous ground, but I wonder if the Lakers should give Lavar Ball a small, insignificant role within the organization. That way they could control his media availability and give him something personally to lose if he keeps being a detriment to the team.

I mean, only if they think he is a problem. Maybe they don't think he is a problem.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 09:51:26 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

LaMelo is a NBA player.  He is the 7th ranked recruit in 2019 by ESPN.  His rating is a 95.  As a comparison, Lonzo was rated 4th with a 96 rating. 

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2019/order/true

As for this topic, the one that seemingly doesn't know how to coach Lonzo is Lavar.  I mean I don't think Lonzo taught himself that awful shooting motion or the lack of defense.

I would just point out that being highly ranked as a high schooler and being an NBA player are not the same thing. I'd agree LeMelo is on track, but no sure thing. Look at the past lists of highly ranked prospects and they are full of guys who never made it.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I would just point out that being highly ranked as a high schooler and being an NBA player are not the same thing. I'd agree LeMelo is on track, but no sure thing. Look at the past lists of highly ranked prospects and they are full of guys who never made it.
All true, but many "experts" have said all along they felt LaMelo was the most talented of the brothers.  It will be interesting to see what he ends up like.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 10:31:25 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I know this is counter-intuitive and dangerous ground, but I wonder if the Lakers should give Lavar Ball a small, insignificant role within the organization. That way they could control his media availability and give him something personally to lose if he keeps being a detriment to the team.

I mean, only if they think he is a problem. Maybe they don't think he is a problem.

My guess is Lavar is too savy to fall for that.   He can make more money being an idiot who spouts off than he ever could in some official, inconsequential role with the Lakers.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

All true, but many "experts" have said all along they felt LaMelo was the most talented of the brothers.  It will be interesting to see what he ends up like.

I agree in that I actually think LaMelo has a higher ceiling than Lonzo. I think he's slightly more naturally athletic and doesn't have the same weird shooting form. I think 'Melo's main weakness right now may be discipline. If he is coached well over the next few years, he should be solid.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wonder what the O/U on this happening was. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Is anyone surprised by this?
I am surprised he took this long to say it, though maybe he held back over the LiAngelo situation.
the best part is as they lose more games, this hothead is going to get louder and point fingers and cause all types of drama and bad attention to the team, causing them to lose more  with distraction. Veterans know how to block out distractions but the Lakers are young

Well at least if they do this they will end up with a really high draft pick.

Oh wait. I meant to say WE will end up with a really high draft pick. Bahahahahah!

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Translation  "My son is not doing as hot as projected so I am covering for him."

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 06:23:03 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Well, you can't polish a turd...
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 06:32:20 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Poor Kuzma gets no attention because of Lonzo's mere presence.

He's the best rookie they drafted this past summer it seems.

And one LAL player reportedly is sick of the attention Lonzo gets.

Hope it gets ugly at LA LA LAND!  :laugh:

Kuzma is looking really good for the lakers.  Probably best for him if he just floats under the radar and lets Lonzo deal with the over-hype and attention.

And at some point someone needs to tell Lavar to just shut up.  He isn't helping his kid, just stroking his own ego to keep his name in the media.  Lonzo probably deserves better, he seems more level headed than his crackpot dad.

Not that I mind the infighting....lose lakers lose....