Author Topic: What players would dominate any generation?  (Read 6570 times)

Re: What players would dominate any generation?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Man the undeserved Embiid hype is approaching the undeserved Kobe hype.

Only took roughly 18 hours for you to eat your words haha

I can’t stand ‘the process’ but if you can’t remove your green goggle once and a while we are no better than Lakers fans.
Glad you're onto deciding my viewpoint for me, puts you on my personal ignore list.

Dominate any generation requires a lot more than 43 games in the NBA and a single big performance on ESPN. That's why its undeserved hype in the context of this thread.

My apologies if you felt attacked, I was under the assumption that you disliked Embiid because of his association with Philly. I know it is a small sample size but if you listen to experienced experts they all say the same thing, he is the best big they've seen since Hakeem.
Yeah but, let's see if he can even get through one season before declaring him a generational talent. Danny Manning was supposed to be a generational talent when he came out of Kansas but knee problems derailed his career and so he never maxed out his potential.
Sure, but Embiid actually plays like a generational talent, you know when he plays.  Clearly he has had a terrible run of injuries, but when he plays he looks incredible.  Much like Greg Oden in the brief instances he was able to stay healthy.  Hopefully Embiid doesn't end up like Oden and is finally through all the injuries because it would be a shame for us not to witness Embiid at his best. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Are we asking if you took a guy like Bird from 86-87 and transported him here now and he played? Or are we talking about Larry Bird growing up with modern sports science and as a 20 something year old born in the 80's and playing now? Because I actually think any of the all time greats could play now. But give them what these kids have got today and some of them would be mind-blowing.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Christian Laettner wasn't a great NBA player by any stretch of the imagination during his time ('92-'05). However, because of his skillset for a big man, I would love to see a prime Laettner play in this era. It obviously wasn't long ago when he played, but his game was tailor made for today's game as opposed to the era in which he played. It was almost as if the teams he played for didn't know how to use him effectively because he wasn't a traditional big man. BTW, he was the third pick behind Shaq and Alonzo Mourning (I forgot how top heavy that draft class was).

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Christian Laettner wasn't a great NBA player by any stretch of the imagination during his time ('92-'05). However, because of his skillset for a big man, I would love to see a prime Laettner play in this era. It obviously wasn't long ago when he played, but his game was tailor made for today's game as opposed to the era in which he played. It was almost as if the teams he played for didn't know how to use him effectively because he wasn't a traditional big man. BTW, he was the third pick behind Shaq and Alonzo Mourning (I forgot how top heavy that draft class was).
Same thing could be said for Keith Van Horn.

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If the question were something like -- substantial players who would do what they did regardless of the era -- I offer The Worm, Dennis Rodman.

I think he'd board and defend with the same impact regardless of the era.

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2017, 07:25:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I bet MJ could average 40+ PPG playing in today's NBA.

Put him on a team like the Rockets, with three point shooters galore and a legit roll man to run PnR with, and 40 PPG may be a conservative estimate.  Who would honestly have any chance of keeping him out of the lane?  And you have to figure with his determination to be the best, he would have developed a better three point shot of his own.