Author Topic: Trade idea: Barea  (Read 6917 times)

Re: Trade idea: Barea
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2017, 01:21:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If we need a scoring point guard why are we trading for one? we have an open roster spot that we can use.

Highly likely thought that this is not a priority for us and the length of Rozier is worth more to Brad than the scoring... but I guess these threads are going to come thick and fast at the moment..

Because Barea is a really good player on a really good contract.  He’s certainly better than Rozier.

Is he?  In both wins shares and box score plus/minus, Rozier beats Barea.  His defense measures as a bigger asset than Barea's offense.

These stats are to be taken with a grain of salt, especially this early in this season, but they do suggest that Barea > Rozier isn't a slam dunk at all.

Win shares are based upon wins. The Mavs have three of them, the Celts have 16.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I've happily moved away from undersized PGs, no need to return to it with the way our defense has been playing.

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I've happily moved away from undersized PGs, no need to return to it with the way our defense has been playing.

TP.  :D

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we need a scoring point guard why are we trading for one? we have an open roster spot that we can use.

Highly likely thought that this is not a priority for us and the length of Rozier is worth more to Brad than the scoring... but I guess these threads are going to come thick and fast at the moment..

Because Barea is a really good player on a really good contract.  He’s certainly better than Rozier.

Is he?  In both wins shares and box score plus/minus, Rozier beats Barea.  His defense measures as a bigger asset than Barea's offense.

These stats are to be taken with a grain of salt, especially this early in this season, but they do suggest that Barea > Rozier isn't a slam dunk at all.

That was true for baseball, but basketball win shares are a bit different.  The sum of win shares for a team is a good appproximation for the number of wins on a team, but that’s an after-the-fact test, not an a priori as in the baseball version.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
It's a good trade idea.... but I wouldn't be any rush to do it. It's a win now type move, the team is currently already winning. But maybe as the playoffs get closer and a different player could put us in the finals... it's a good trade. Price seems sorta high currently for a journeyman, but could see that price being lower later in the season.

Danny's best move right now is patience.

Fan's best move right now, enjoy the ride and who is on it now.

I'm not sure what you think a fair price for one of the best backup PG's in the league is, but my guess is Dallas wouldn't even accept the offer anyway. They have zero need for Rozier.

I agree Danny likely won't be trading any assets, as I doubt he sees the team as worthy of spending assets on.

For fans, it's all a matter of perspective. Some fans are content with whatever the roster is, some fans like to discuss ways to improve areas of weakness. Backup guard is absolutely a weakness in this team righting now. We have no one on the bench who can come in and reliably get their own shot or create offense for others.

The price is whatever the market bears out.... The Mavs appear to be on the fast track for the lottery. Not sure what value one of the best back up pint point guards in the league has for them. A 2nd rounder and some middling prospects? Sure. I guess the bigger question is how much do you value Rozier. I think that is the real impetus to starting this thread. The OP and others would like to move on from Rozier.

And I have no problem w arm chair GMing. It's fun to read the ideas. Admittedly I have no skill or greater NBA knowledge for the intricacies. I'm sure Danny isn't sitting on his laurels and is still evaluating trade ideas, so fans should have fun doing the same. It just seems like so many Boston fans are never happy enough. There is always something or someone to complain about. I try not to work to hard to be happier than happy. A league best winning streak makes me happy!

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

This. You can get away with a couple of rotation guys under 6-6/6-7, but for the most you need length, and lots of it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I doubt Dallas would deal with us after the Rondo trade.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Barea has had a nice season for him but I'm not sure I want to give up young assets for a 33 year old career backup on one of the worst teams in the league. Is he really the best option out there for some bench scoring? And is his scoring that much better than Rozier's that it makes up for Rozier's superior defense and rebounding?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I would say no as well.  Barea 4-5 years ago, maybe??.  Today?  No.

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
All these people bringing up defense, and yet just ignore the true problem. BENCH SCORING.

If the price is cheap, SIGN ME UP!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 09:17:06 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Is Barea even that much better than Larkin at this point?

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 09:22:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 09:27:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Unequivocally yes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2017, 12:03:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That was true for baseball, but basketball win shares are a bit different.  The sum of win shares for a team is a good appproximation for the number of wins on a team, but that’s an after-the-fact test, not an a priori as in the baseball version.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ws.html
it isn't exactly equal but as they say if a team has 50 wins the WS from the players will be approximately 50 and if you look at the Mavs and C's thus far this year, you can see that is approximately the case. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip