Author Topic: Trade idea: Barea  (Read 6919 times)

Re: Trade idea: Barea
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 07:52:30 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
If we need a scoring point guard why are we trading for one? we have an open roster spot that we can use.

Highly likely thought that this is not a priority for us and the length of Rozier is worth more to Brad than the scoring... but I guess these threads are going to come thick and fast at the moment..
I don't necessarliy think they need a scoring PG. They just need a gaurd that can create offense/score. I think someone like a Marco Belinelli or Lou Williams type. Basically someone you who can score off the bench when the starters arent in so they do not continue to have an anemic scoring bench.

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If we need a scoring point guard why are we trading for one? we have an open roster spot that we can use.

Highly likely thought that this is not a priority for us and the length of Rozier is worth more to Brad than the scoring... but I guess these threads are going to come thick and fast at the moment..

Because Barea is a really good player on a really good contract.  He’s certainly better than Rozier.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd honestly rather have Rozier than Barea long term.  Barea is obviously a better offensive player, but Rozier is a better defender and rebounder.  I just see Rozier's peak at a good deal higher than Barea's current play level.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This thread is nothing but baiting.

In no universe is Barea worth giving up assets for. 

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 10:27:31 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I don't necessarily agree with this. Barea is a solid backup guard who can run the offense and keep  his team getting good shots.

But I wouldn't give Rozier up for him.

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 10:28:28 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18

I don't necessarily agree with this. Barea is a solid backup guard who can run the offense and keep  his team getting good shots.

Exactly... in no universe is Rozier + picks getting traded for Barea no matter how the last 10 games have gone.

Just a bait thread.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
It's a good trade idea.... but I wouldn't be any rush to do it. It's a win now type move, the team is currently already winning. But maybe as the playoffs get closer and a different player could put us in the finals... it's a good trade. Price seems sorta high currently for a journeyman, but could see that price being lower later in the season.

Danny's best move right now is patience.

Fan's best move right now, enjoy the ride and who is on it now.

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's a good trade idea.... but I wouldn't be any rush to do it. It's a win now type move, the team is currently already winning. But maybe as the playoffs get closer and a different player could put us in the finals... it's a good trade. Price seems sorta high currently for a journeyman, but could see that price being lower later in the season.

Danny's best move right now is patience.

Fan's best move right now, enjoy the ride and who is on it now.

I'm not sure what you think a fair price for one of the best backup PG's in the league is, but my guess is Dallas wouldn't even accept the offer anyway. They have zero need for Rozier.

I agree Danny likely won't be trading any assets, as I doubt he sees the team as worthy of spending assets on.

For fans, it's all a matter of perspective. Some fans are content with whatever the roster is, some fans like to discuss ways to improve areas of weakness. Backup guard is absolutely a weakness in this team righting now. We have no one on the bench who can come in and reliably get their own shot or create offense for others.

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 10:44:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Fan of Barea, but no.

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't get this one.  Barea is a surprisingly good bench player (for his size) and is better offensively than Rozier but we would give up a lot defensively and in terms of rebounds.

I would just stick with Rozier.  No need to rearrange deck chairs right now.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 10:56:30 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Who would Brad Stevens rather have on his squad?

Thats how you know this trade is a bad idea.  There is no way Brad is giving up Terry who can switch 1-3, takes care of the ball at an elite level and we've spent 3 years of development into.

For a 33 year old short point guard that does not play defense.

It's a ludicrous idea after you peel back one layer.

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2017, 11:19:52 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

And we already have Shane Larkin on the team to do just what Barea does.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
There are better ways to improve our offense.

And Dallas doesn't need any further help in tanking, as long as they keep Dirk in starting lineup. Which they will.

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 12:27:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He'd be better than Larkin, for sure.  I've always really liked Barea.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Because Barea is a really good player on a really good contract.  He’s certainly better than Rozier.

Is he?  In both wins shares and box score plus/minus, Rozier beats Barea.  His defense measures as a bigger asset than Barea's offense.

These stats are to be taken with a grain of salt, especially this early in this season, but they do suggest that Barea > Rozier isn't a slam dunk at all.