Author Topic: Gasol for Thompson, Korver, BKN 1st. Who says no?  (Read 3489 times)

Re: Gasol for Thompson, Korver, BKN 1st. Who says no?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 03:13:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Pretty good idea to both sides for me.  I hear people talking about Cleveland holding on to the Brooklyn pick for "the rebuild" but I think they have a better chance of overall success holding on to some chance that Lebron stays rather than a chance of building around an OK Brooklyn pick.  That pick is no guarantee for future success in an Eastern Conference with promising teams like Boston, Philly, Milwaukee, and maybe even NYK if they build well around Porzingis.

I think Moranis' Love for Gasol deal is sensible as well for Cleveland and like it a little more since Love has been pretty poor in their NBA Finals matchups.  Although I don't think Memphis would prefer Love to the other package and wonder if they even would prefer Love to Gasol?  They'd then need to go find a center if they make that swap.
Love is a lot younger than Gasol and presumably could be re-signed to pair with Conley and keep Memphis relevant enough and for a longer window.  I'd imagine Cleveland might give up Zizic or Osman if needed to get the deal done as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 03:21:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Right now BKN has the 6th worst record in the league (tied with Memphis).  I expect BKN to finish ahead of Atlanta and Chicago in the East, but finish behind every other Eastern team.  So the question is how many teams in the West will actually finish with a worse record than the Nets.  Right now the Mavs, Suns, and Kings are all worse, they are tied with the Grizzlies and the Clippers and Lakers aren't far behind (neither are the Magic, Hornets, Thunder, or Jazz, but I'd be surprised if any of those teams finish worse then the Nets).  I'd expect Memphis and LAC to finish ahead of the Nets, which just leaves the Lakers and the 5 teams currently worse.  Any of those Western teams could pick up some wins, but any could easily finish behind the Nets.  that puts the Nets as the 7th worst team at best (without some very strange things going on or teams going into full bore tank).  Let's say they end up with the 7th pick.  Robert Williams or someone like him probably isn't a difference maker, but what if they finish 5th worst or win one of the lottery slots.  Bamba is projected at 5th on many mocks.  Bamba absolutely could be a difference maker.  You don't trade a chance at a difference maker for a 33 year old center that only moderately increases your chances of winning a title this year, if James is going to leave.  It is an absolutely terrible move for your franchise.  Now if James indicates he'll opt in or you believe making the trade greatly increases your chances of keeping him, then you have to make the trade.  The thing is, James isn't going to tell you anything, because James has no idea what he is going to do and he won't till after the season, when he makes all of these decisions.

I am a bit surprised you think the Magic are suddenly not in contention to be really bad. They had a very good start to the season but it was mostly behind career shooting from a bunch of players including a really ridiculous start by Gordon. They are a team that won 29 games last year and really haven't added any significant difference makers. Their biggest addition was probably Simmons who is an ok role player. They also haven't just been losing, they have been getting completely blown out during this 8 game losing streak only one loss by less than 8 points. What are you seeing there that makes you have any confidence they will win more games than the Nets?

Another thing to keep in mind is that the Nets have played a really road heavy schedule this month. They will finish the month having played 9 games on the road and 4 at home including 2 west coast trips. The fact that they have won 4 games so far on this stretch and have been in just about every other game really shows how well they have been playing. I think there is a very reasonable chance they end up something like 9th or 10th.

We are also getting to the point that teams like the Clippers and Memphis will start giving serious thought to blowing it up. Even if healthy they are not in contention to win a playoff series. In Memphis in particular nobody knows when Conley can even play again and how good he will be... Achilles injuries are not good.
Brooklyn has played a lot of "bad" teams.  They've played Portland, Denver, Phoenix, and Utah twice already.  They've played the Lakers, Grizzlies, and Warriors once each.  In the East, they've played Orlando and Cleveland twice, and Atlanta, Indiana, NY, and Boston all once.  They have Houston next, but then play Dallas and Atlanta twice in a row.  The next month after that, they play a much more difficult schedule.  So I could see them win 3 of their next 4, but then lose something like 17 of 18.  They aren't a good team (and this is from the guy that predicted them 6th worst before we traded the pick). 

Orlando has lost 8 in a row, 6 on the road (funny the road only matters for BKN, not ORL), but those 8 games have collectively been pretty strong competition at Denver, Golden State, Portland, Minnesota, Boston, and Philly and home against Utah and Indiana.  Utah is the only team below .500 in that group.  Of the other Western teams below .500, the Magic have only played the Suns and Grizzlies, beating both of them.  They've only played the Nets twice, the Bulls, and the Hornets from the East of the below .500 teams.  The Magic's schedule has been front loaded with the better teams.  Their next 4 games should be tough, but after that it opens up a lot more for them.  A young team winning 29 games the prior season, should improve.  I expect the Magic to finish in the mid-30's for wins, which I can't see Brooklyn getting to. 

The Clippers and Grizzlies could start tanking, but with all those teams tanking they do actually have to play each other which means someone is winning and those two teams have talent they aren't going to trade so I can't see them doing a full bore tank like the Sixers.

I hadn't paid attention to the fact that that many of the magic games were on the road just noticed the blowout scores (so fair point there). That being said, they just haven't been competitive and it is hard to imagine 20 point losses become wins at home. Perhaps they will play a lot better at home throughout the year. Still can't believe you really see them winning in the mid 30's? That is pretty wild.

They also really are not that young a team. Vucivic probably is what he is at 27. They have been playing Ross, Simmons, Augustin, Mack pretty heavy minutes throughout the season. Those guys aren't old by any stretch, but I don't think anyone expects big improvements from them. This is Fournier's 6th season. Do you really see him taking a big leap? It seems like Payton, Gordon and Issaac will possibly improve, however Isaac isn't ready for this year. They have completely given up on Mario.

It is just a bad team. Making the claim that the Nets are clearly worse than the Magic becomes even more questionable when you throw in the fact that the Nets will get Russell back at some point... Rosters just don't speak to one team being clearly better than the other.

Edit: I will also admit that I was impressed to them to start the season. That being said digging in deeper it was based on insane 3 point shooting from guys that are not very good shooters.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
20 point losses to good teams on the road become wins at home against bad teams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 04:27:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
20 point losses to good teams on the road become wins at home against bad teams.

Lol. You honestly crack me up. They lost by 20 to Philly without Simmons. They lost by 40! to a Jazz team playing horrible basketball at home. They lost by 8 to the Pacers at home. They fell behind by 40 against us (and as well as we have played we haven't had a lot of laughers like that). Home, road, good or bad, they are playing awful the last 8 games. No way to paint it any differently right now..