Author Topic: Michael Porter Jr out for the year  (Read 5516 times)

Michael Porter Jr out for the year
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article185845393.html

Star freshman Michael Porter Jr. is likely to miss the entire Mizzou basketball season after having surgery Tuesday, the team announced in a release.

Here is the release from Mizzou basketball: “Michael Porter, Jr. will undergo surgery on Tuesday, Nov. 21, in Dallas, Texas. The procedure, a microdiscectomy of the L3-L4 spinal discs, has a projected recovery time of three-four months and will likely cause him to miss the remainder of the season.

“Michael is expected to make a complete recovery, and the Mizzou Men’s Basketball program wishes Michael the best during this process.”

Re: Michael Porter Jr out for the year
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Can focus on his academics now.  :o

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
might as well just leave school, sign with an agent, and use their rehab facilities.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Well that makes the draft interesting next year.  If he shifts to 2019 (and recovers), the top of that class could get a little deeper.

I was wondering what was wrong, as not only had he played just two minutes this year, but he couldn’t even sit on the bench with the team due to pain.  Really hope he gets healthy.

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Spinal surgery? Serious stuff

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 02:38:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Well that makes the draft interesting next year.  If he shifts to 2019 (and recovers), the top of that class could get a little deeper.

I was wondering what was wrong, as not only had he played just two minutes this year, but he couldn’t even sit on the bench with the team due to pain.  Really hope he gets healthy.

I can't imagine he stays in college. Instead, he'll be a 2 minutes and done player. That said, he looks like he would be an amazing fit for our team as he provides positional versatility on both ends of the floor and cap space the floor. This might be a blessing (for us) in disguise if the injury makes him drop to 4 or 5 (behind Doncic, Bagley, Ayton, and maybe Bamba) and obviously the Lakers pick conveys. Back injuries aren't anything to dismiss, so teams could very well be apprehensive.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I can't imagine he stays in college. Instead, he'll be a 2 minutes and done player. That said, he looks like he would be an amazing fit for our team as he provides positional versatility on both ends of the floor and cap space the floor. This might be a blessing (for us) in disguise if the injury makes him drop to 4 or 5 (behind Doncic, Bagley, Ayton, and maybe Bamba) and obviously the Lakers pick conveys. Back injuries aren't anything to dismiss, so teams could very well be apprehensive.

I’d find it unlikely but not impossible that he stays.  His father is an assistant at Mizzou and his younger brother finished high school early so they could play together in college.  He’s got a little more bond to college than the average top prospect.  I’d expect him to go through the pre-draft process for certain, but if he doesn’t hear people telling him a high enough number he could stay in school.

EDIT:  He’ll also have an older sister who’s a senior at Mizzou, and his aunt coaches the women’s team.  The Porter family has quite the ties to Mizzou.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:51:49 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Better not gamble on disk problems...hope we don't pick him

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 03:20:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm real skeptical Lakers pick conveys, so I hope he defers to 2019.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
He will probably (and should) declare for the draft. What if he can't come back healthy to basketball activities or has an awful, painful sophomore year and he is not even drafted?

He can't risk some millions of his first and lucrative rookie contract.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 04:57:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I had a discectomy of my L4-L5 discs 20 odd years ago when I was in great shape. The recovery takes quite a while and in many cases requires further foryisone shots into the area to reduce pain because people try to push it too much or don't change their lifestyle during the recovery period.

An 18 year old kid with herniated disc problems is a very bad sign. Just not normal for a kid that young to have such back problems. And basketball isn't exactly condusive to long term 100% recovery.

Maybe need to stay away from Porter if he is available for us to draft him.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 05:17:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Perfect Philly pick!

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I’d find it unlikely but not impossible that he stays.  His father is an assistant at Mizzou and his younger brother finished high school early so they could play together in college.  He’s got a little more bond to college than the average top prospect.  I’d expect him to go through the pre-draft process for certain, but if he doesn’t hear people telling him a high enough number he could stay in school.

EDIT:  He’ll also have an older sister who’s a senior at Mizzou, and his aunt coaches the women’s team.  The Porter family has quite the ties to Mizzou.

Too much risk. If he's a top 5 pick, which he should be, he's gone. Imagine if he returns and re-injures his back. That would be disastrous for him financially. He'll see his family all the time, he's not leaving the country by going to the NBA.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 06:38:52 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Too much risk. If he's a top 5 pick, which he should be, he's gone. Imagine if he returns and re-injures his back. That would be disastrous for him financially. He'll see his family all the time, he's not leaving the country by going to the NBA.

I guess you think he’ll recover more quickly than I do.  I doubt he can show enough in workouts to be a top 5 pick.  There are enough good prospects that could easily push him to the 8-12 range.  Top picks get paid a lot of money, and it’s going to be more difficult for a team to risk committing to that for someone with such a significant injury than it may have been in the past.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 06:48:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, when in in shape and thin Jared Sullinger hurt his back, even though he had supposed top 5 talent he fell like a rock. Herniated discs in 18 and 19 year olds is not a good sign for long term health.