Author Topic: Why does Brad sit Kyrie for soooo long?  (Read 4713 times)

Re: Why does Brad sit Kyrie for soooo long?
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 11:37:40 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Regular season minutes being kept low for key players and the team is still winning?

Isn't that perfect?   

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 11:57:15 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
What ever Brad has been doing is = W's.    From what I have heard is he is trying to get the bench out of a slump so come playoff time they can extend our leads and have the starters fresh for the playoffs.   

Seems to be working except the bench can't seem to score.   
Diggles

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 12:14:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is so annoying he has it going. He’s killing it and Brad sits him and sits him and sits him. I think this might be the first night of back to back but it isn’t just happening this game he does it a lot.
Because every game in no the ****' championship.  I'm glad he doesn't micro-manage every game like it's his last.  Carve our a system and stick to it.  Guys will appreciate it.

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 01:05:27 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Wow can't tell if those "annoyed" is trolling or not
BS is doing the exact right things to:
keep starters fresh and train the bench
and start Morris over Baynes in this game is definitely a good move
and Smart can shoot as much as BS want him to shoot, and it's for the team's best interest

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 01:15:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
so Kyrie does not score 60 and demoralize the rest of the NBA

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 02:00:52 PM »

Offline mrb617

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I still don't get how anyone second guesses CBS or DA (or BB for that matter). They have proven time and time again to be the one of if not THE best coach/executive in the league. They know more, and know better than YOU. Please enjoy having then on OUR side.

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no problem with Brad's rotation of Kyrie last night and on most nights. But his rotation of Brown in the wnd half last night was awful and his constant need to put in a total non-starter team for long stretches baffles me.

Some say he is trying to develop the youth. Which ones? Smart and Rozier, who have the highest usage on those teams are vets now. Their shooting has been awful fron day one rookie year. What is Brad developing in those guys? Semi barely touches the ball on those teams? How is that developing him? Nader is not an NBA player, why even give him minutes?

Simple solution to the 2nd team woes is change the rotation of the starters and leave a couple starters in at all times. But he doesn't. This is my biggest pet peeve with Brad's coaching.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We’re 16-2 and Kyrie has an unreal +\- and efficiency numbers in the clutch, so I think whatever Brad is doing with his management of Kyrie’s playing time is working

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 02:25:23 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Wow can't tell if those "annoyed" is trolling or not
BS is doing the exact right things to:
keep starters fresh and train the bench
and start Morris over Baynes in this game is definitely a good move
and Smart can shoot as much as BS want him to shoot, and it's for the team's best interest

Isn't it amazing? People are annoyed because of the strategy that lead to a 16-2 record. Considering the number of new faces and GH's injury this is almost a miracle ... But still not enough ... Unbelievable

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 02:34:49 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I have no problem with Brad's rotation of Kyrie last night and on most nights. But his rotation of Brown in the wnd half last night was awful and his constant need to put in a total non-starter team for long stretches baffles me.

Some say he is trying to develop the youth. Which ones? Smart and Rozier, who have the highest usage on those teams are vets now. Their shooting has been awful fron day one rookie year. What is Brad developing in those guys? Semi barely touches the ball on those teams? How is that developing him? Nader is not an NBA player, why even give him minutes?

Simple solution to the 2nd team woes is change the rotation of the starters and leave a couple starters in at all times. But he doesn't. This is my biggest pet peeve with Brad's coaching.

I think he's just trying to develop the bench and look for guys to contribute. That the production from the bench is severely lacking is not a sign that Stevens plays the wrong (combination of) players, but an indication that we need to bring 1 or 2 veterans to the team who can score when the starters sit. Like you said Nader is not an NBA player (I said pre-season that I hoped to see consistent minutes for Nader, I was wrong  :-[ ) and we have an empty roster spot.

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I think giving Larkin Semi and Theis minutes is important. We need Rozier to score better. I a perfect world Smart could shoot. Baynes should also get fed some more. But I will take whatever is working. I just hope it works in May, too.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I was getting worried there would be nothing to overreact to during this 16 game win streak, 5th longest in Celtics history. Break out the pitchforks boys, it's time to take Stevens down for his lineups that keep winning games!

#downwithbrad #fireainge #winninglineups #realitybased

Well every 4 man combo with Morris in it that doesn't have smart in it is a net negative so far. And every lineup with baynes and three starters is pretty much all world defensively with huge net positives and created largely to this win streak.

The time where we started limping over the line instead of winning games convincingly was when we started Morris over baynes.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 05:07:14 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I was getting worried there would be nothing to overreact to during this 16 game win streak, 5th longest in Celtics history. Break out the pitchforks boys, it's time to take Stevens down for his lineups that keep winning games!

#downwithbrad #fireainge #winninglineups #realitybased

Well every 4 man combo with Morris in it that doesn't have smart in it is a net negative so far. And every lineup with baynes and three starters is pretty much all world defensively with huge net positives and created largely to this win streak.

The time where we started limping over the line instead of winning games convincingly was when we started Morris over baynes.

I am really in favor of it.  I also like starting big and going small against their bench.

Baynes defensive numbers are really great.

I think Morris' game works well there.  With the starters, he is taking possessions totally looking for his shot which is more of a waste there, vs with the bench when it's needed more and those are better shots.

If Hayward was playing that would have been his role anyways.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
He is averaging 31.5 mpg; below his career average of 34 mpg.  Is the question about the total number of minutes or the way he distributes them with long breaks between his minutes?

I suspect the total minutes will creep up but the distribution of the minutes seems to be working pretty well so who am I to judge?

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2017, 05:13:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Nader is not an NBA player, why even give him minutes?

Brad gets a lot of credit by trusting his players and putting them in opportunities to succeed.  I think Stevens has been trying to put Nader in at times when he has needed scoring.  However, it really hasn't been there.  If he keeps playing him that is a problem but I think that is not something to bash Stevens for.  Nader did light up the D-league so it's not as if there is nothing to make you think he can't score.  I heard Jeff Van Gundy say he thought Nader was for sure an NBA rotation guy at the start of the season (he coached him and saw him in the D-league).

For me last night I was just thinking I prefer Semi.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford